Ferraro should not have resigned

For Ferraro to be called a racist after stating the fact that Obama wouldn't be where he is without being black is ridiculous. He clearly is getting 90% of the black vote because in part due to his ethnicity, as well as votes from whites who feel that a non-white president would be a positive message to send to the world. He may very well still be contending if he was white based on his skills, but I doubt he would be getting 90% of the black vote, which has been the difference in many state primaries and caucuses. I'm disappointed that Hillary has distanced herself from Ferraro. The Obama campaign needs to be challenged on their repeated labeling people as racists because they point out the facts about how ethnicity is a factor in this election, just as gender is a factor for Hillary. If this continues, the Obama campaign risks pushing moderate white voters away who don't appreciate the race card being used without cause.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Ferraro to be called a racist after stating the fact that Obama wouldn't be where he is without being black is ridiculous. He clearly is getting 90% of the black vote because in part due to his ethnicity, as well as votes from whites who feel that a non-white president would be a positive message to send to the world. He may very well still be contending if he was white based on his skills, but I doubt he would be getting 90% of the black vote, which has been the difference in many state primaries and caucuses. I'm disappointed that Hillary has distanced herself from Ferraro. The Obama campaign needs to be challenged on their repeated labeling people as racists because they point out the facts about how ethnicity is a factor in this election, just as gender is a factor for Hillary. If this continues, the Obama campaign risks pushing moderate white voters away who don't appreciate the race card being used without cause.

Now what if someone in Obama's camp said that about Hillary - her being there because she is a woman. Because she gaining the woman vote??

The gender card has been played so many times by Hillary... is it right to do that?

What exactly is her role anyway? Just to have someone around who is even more shrill and unbearable so Hillary doesn't look as bad?

And I'm not sure I've seen many thing funnier than a staunch Dem establishment fan whining over someone else getting 90% of the black vote and then playing the race card on top of it. As Eliot sez...Karma's a B word! :thumbdown::unsure:

Now what if someone in Obama's camp said that about Hillary - her being there because she is a woman. Because she gaining the woman vote??

The gender card has been played so many times by Hillary... is it right to do that?

Her being there in part because she's a woman is a factual statement, which I have no problem with. Being married to Bill is part of her history and experience that would otherwise not be. Her winning in New Hampshire is credited to her late support from women. Historically, white men have been able to ascend in politics in part because they were white men, because voters weren't willing to give non-whites or women a chance.

No one has said it's wrong that some people vote for Obama because of his ethnicity, they've just pointed out that it's a fact. Just as some people vote for Hillary because she's a woman. I would argue that it isn't the most important reason to support someone, but it is for some.

What exactly is her role anyway? Just to have someone around who is even more shrill and unbearable so Hillary doesn't look as bad?

And I'm not sure I've seen many thing funnier than a staunch Dem establishment fan whining over someone else getting 90% of the black vote and then playing the race card on top of it. As Eliot sez...Karma's a B word! :thumbdown::unsure:

She was one of the heads of a contribution committee, a volunteer position. And no one is whining about the 90% black vote, just pointing it out as a fact when people ask why Obama has won as much as he has. The race card is being played by the Obama campaign by treating any discussion of race as racist.

Her being there in part because she's a woman is a factual statement, which I have no problem with. Being married to Bill is part of her history and experience that would otherwise not be. Her winning in New Hampshire is credited to her late support from women. Historically, white men have been able to ascend in politics in part because they were white men, because voters weren't willing to give non-whites or women a chance.

No one has said it's wrong that some people vote for Obama because of his ethnicity, they've just pointed out that it's a fact. Just as some people vote for Hillary because she's a woman. I would argue that it isn't the most important reason to support someone, but it is for some.

To me Ferraro was just whining about why her friend wasn't receiving votes. She brought up the excuse it's because he's black - and in a sense playing the race card.

Her experience is debatable.

If Barack Obama was named Bob Oberlin, was white, poor, raised by a single parent on the southside of Chicago, lost his dad at 11, then graduated from Harvard Law School, had the same career as Barack, gave that rousing speech at the 2004 DNC convention, won a Senate race, and was a tall, good looking, charismatic guy with the exact same message who gave speeches like Bobby Kennedy, Hillary wouldn't even be in this race. Oberlin would be the biggest rock star candidate in anyone's lifetime and already crowned the future of the Democratic party. It wouldn't even be close.

If Barack Obama was named Bob Oberlin, was white, poor, raised by a single parent on the southside of Chicago, lost his dad at 11, then graduated from Harvard Law School, had the same career as Barack, gave that rousing speech at the 2004 DNC convention, won a Senate race, and was a tall, good looking, charismatic guy with the exact same message who gave speeches like Bobby Kennedy, Hillary wouldn't even be in this race. Oberlin would be the biggest rock star candidate in anyone's lifetime and already crowned the future of the Democratic party. It wouldn't even be close.

If he was white he never would have been chosen for the DNC speech, and he would have faced a real challenger for the Senate race.

I agree. Ferraro stated the truth although, I don't why she bothered to bring it up. Of course some people are supporting Obama in part because of his race. And Hilary is getting some support in part because of her gender. And McCain because of his race, gender, age, experience and politics, etc. But conversely some are not supporting Obama because of his race, Hilary for her gender etc. To think anybody is elected purely on political perspectives is ignorant, naive and uninformed. What makes the current run for the presidency so intriguing is that a black of any gender and a woman of any race are seriously competing to be prez.

Ferraro was right to think the way she did because Obama getting support (from people of various races) in part because of his race is accurate. But Ferraro is hypocritical if she thinks that Hilary is not getting some support from people who want to see a woman prez. Ferraro and Clinton should have displayed more spine. I know people who have expressed their desire to support Obama because of his race and Hilary because of her gender. Obama could have acknowledged this. If Obama believes that this type of support doesn't exist then he may not have his fingerprint on the pulse of America.

Political correctness takes precedence over harmless free speech.

By the way, Jimmy the Greek was also right.

I agree with Ferraro 100%, but it is amusing to see a Dem getting dumped on...Republicans deal with this on a daily basis, ever since the Democrats created "identity politics" years and years ago.

I agree with Ferraro 100%, but it is amusing to see a Dem getting dumped on...Republicans deal with this on a daily basis, ever since the Democrats created "identity politics" years and years ago.

So, this is a creation of the Democrats, and not of the civil war?

Learn something new everyday.

It is amusing. Too much pressure in a very tight race seems to be getting the best of the Dem's. Say what you want about the current administration (and people do!) but the inclusion of (qualified) people of various races was more than just a staged event at the 2004 RNC.

I agree. Ferraro stated the truth although, I don't why she bothered to bring it up. Of course some people are supporting Obama in part because of his race. And Hilary is getting some support in part because of her gender. And McCain because of his race, gender, age, experience and politics, etc. But conversely some are not supporting Obama because of his race, Hilary for her gender etc. To think anybody is elected purely on political perspectives is ignorant, naive and uninformed. What makes the current run for the presidency so intriguing is that a black of any gender and a woman of any race are seriously competing to be prez.

Ferraro was right to think the way she did because Obama getting support (from people of various races) in part because of his race is accurate. But Ferraro is hypocritical if she thinks that Hilary is not getting some support from people who want to see a woman prez. Ferraro and Clinton should have displayed more spine. I know people who have expressed there desire to support Obama because of his race and Hilary because of her gender. Obama could have acknowledged this. If Obama believes that this type of support doesn't exist then he may not have his fingerprint on the pulse of America.

Political correctness takes precedence over harmless free speech.

By the way, Jimmy the Greek was also right.

Exactly. Why bring it up? It was just because Hillary herself can't make that kind of statement. Have someone throw it out there for the team? I believe both camps know understand that people partly vote for him because of his skin and for her because of vagina. Hillary's camp just made a dumb mistake, making it easy to for his camp to request someone's dismissal.