Play to win...Always or Sometimes?

Should teams without playoff hopes still play to win?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should teams always play to win?

• Always
    • Not if it will get them a better draft choice
    • Depends (Explain below)

Mike and Mike were running a poll this morning on whether or not teams should play to win always or tank games when it will get them a better draft choice. So I thought I would poll TBD and see what you all thought.

I have to agree with Golic in that you always play to win because it is your job to go out there and play the game like a professional and win the game.

Greenberg would prefer to tank meaningless games if it meant his team would get a better draft pick and a better chance at a once in a lifetime player.

Lets hear it TBD...Play to win...play for picks

I don't believe it beneficial to tank a game to get a better draft pick. You may as well just be honest about it & forfeit the game.

I do however think there is a possible benefit for players to not play their absolute hardest in games where teams have been guaranteed playoff spots. As example, having your star RB strive for the extra yard in a meaningless game could cause injury & hinder the teams playoff chances. In this instance, I would think that sure, you play to win......you just don't play your guts out to win.

Greeny has the luxury of saying he thinks teams should tank because he doesn't have the pride of the team like a player or fan. I'll say always play to win, but if the bills are 2-8, I'm not really gonna care if they lose the last few games either, in fact I think part of me would be happy we did, but a bigger part of me would be happy with the big W.

Greeny has the luxury of saying he thinks teams should tank because he doesn't have the pride of the team like a player or fan. I'll say always play to win, but if the bills are 2-8, I'm not really gonna care if they lose the last few games either, in fact I think part of me would be happy we did, but a bigger part of me would be happy with the big W.

Some fan Green is. Golic ripped him on this topic.

Mike and Mike were running a poll this morning on whether or not teams should play to win always or tank games when it will get them a better draft choice. So I thought I would poll TBD and see what you all thought.

I have to agree with Golic in that you always play to win because it is your job to go out there and play the game like a professional and win the game.

Greenberg would prefer to tank meaningless games if it meant his team would get a better draft pick and a better chance at a once in a lifetime player.

Glad consensus among poll respondents is to play to win. The objective of 60 minutes of play 16 times a year is to win, not play some chess game to jockey for a better draft position.

You know I'm really glad to see the voting going the way of play to win on this board. Especially after all the crying about winning that Cincy game 2 years ago. Good to see most people would prefer W's

You play to win. What people often fail to understand is that professional sports is a group of human beings. It's not a stat sheet, a win loss column or a draft pick order. Being #1 in the draft is not in every way better than being #2. Emotions are involved. Pride is at stake.

Winning is an attitude. When a team that is 2-10 rallies to win 3 of its final 4, it means more than sliding down the draft totem pole. It means that players have confidence going into the off-season. It means a talented FA who was counting down the days until he could purchase his ticket off of a losing team might reconsider his decision. It means a group of young men are learning to become leaders. And it means a growing faction of the team that was beginning to tune out the coaching staff each week might have opened their ears again.

And yes, it means they get the 9th pick instead of the 3rd.

I'll take the wins.

Did you see that in the World Series of Cricket, Sri Lanka rested 3 of its stars so as to lose to Australia in the Quarter Finals as not to match up with Australia in the Semi Finals, whom they don't think they can beat. It's the same as tanking it. Not good. :beer:

Always, always play to win. You want the never quit or never give up attitude of winning football games. To me quitting or tanking the season to get a better draft pick is like taking a dive in a boxing match hoping somehow if your low enough in the rankings you may be able to fight someone you can finally beat. Its not a good example for the rookies coming out of college, especially those with the traditionally strong football programs that emphasize a winning attitude and put that in to practice.

I agree 100%. Last year in week 17, Miami came down to the last play of the game with the chance of beating the Colts. They lost but I wasn't as upset as if the game had been played in week 2. I figured okay they get a higher draft pick now. Not bad.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with the guy who actually played a sport.

Do fans have to pay money for tickets? Then, you owe them eveything you possibly have.

Some losers were complaining about the Bills beating the Bengals a couple of years ago. Seeing the Bills win, no matter the situation or date, is always special to me. It's also probably special to that kid who may be watching them play for the first time.

Plus, what's the guarantee the player won't turn out to be Tony Manarich?