Fred Jackson, RB Coe College

keithg

Fred Jackson is 6 feet 1 inch, weighs 215 pounds, is 26 yrs old, went to Coe College and was the leading rusher in NFL Europe a few years ago...but what else does anybody on the board know about his running style. Is he a speed back? Is he a Travis Henry type that is hard to bring down but can't break a long run? Is he the type to hit a hole or a dancer? Please let me know what those who have seen him play think.

I have a hunch that we may see him as part of a three headed RBBC with A Train and a first day drafted RB...and my hope is he will be one of those diamonds in the rough that comes from a small school and finally gets his chance to show the NFL world that he can play.

Fred Jackson 6'1" 215 lbs 26 years old

NFL Europa 2006 Stats

Rushing

No Yds Avg Lg TD

157 731 4.7 80t 2

Receiving

Yds No Avg Lg TD

317 27 11.7 33 0

While he didn't put the ball into the endzone many times for the Rhien Fire, he did produce over 1000 yards of offense from scrimmage and looks to be a solid receiver out of the backfield. Reminds me a lot of Brandon Jackson from Nebraska, but a bit larger.

On the downside, Jackson did have 4 combined fumbled between rushing, receiving, and returning so his carrying might be a bit suspect. I say give him a chance and lets see what he can do.

As for Lionel Gates, if he was that good, he would have made the roster. Coaching staffs don't cut players that can play for no reason. Gates was good against 3rd string talent...can't say much else for him.

Fred Jackson 6'1" 215 lbs 26 years old

NFL Europa 2006 Stats

Rushing

No Yds Avg Lg TD

157 731 4.7 80t 2

Receiving

Yds No Avg Lg TD

317 27 11.7 33 0

While he didn't put the ball into the endzone many times for the Rhien Fire, he did produce over 1000 yards of offense from scrimmage and looks to be a solid receiver out of the backfield. Reminds me a lot of Brandon Jackson from Nebraska, but a bit larger.

On the downside, Jackson did have 4 combined fumbled between rushing, receiving, and returning so his carrying might be a bit suspect. I say give him a chance and lets see what he can do.

As for Lionel Gates, if he was that good, he would have made the roster. Coaching staffs don't cut players that can play for no reason. Gates was good against 3rd string talent...can't say much else for him.

Which is better competition, third string talent and the Bills training camp practices, or NFL Europe?

I never got the fascination with Lionel Gates. What did he average like 3.1ypc against 3rd stringers in preseason and score one td? I hope Marv isn't serious about Fred Jackson and only hypes him up due to him going to coe college, and playing good in nfl europe and that a real rb who's about 4-5 years younger with much more upside then a guy from nfl europe or anthony thomas will be brought in.

Which is better competition, third string talent and the Bills training camp practices, or NFL Europe?

I'd prefer to say NFL Europa. why? More games, consistant levels of competition. I think you can get a better gauge of a players ability by watching him play more games in Europe then a few games against random levels of talent in a preseason game.

That said, I'm not saying Jackson is going to all of a sudden dominate the NFL now that he's back from Europe, but you can't count him out before he suits up either. Coming from a small college like Coe, its going to take longer to adjust to the level of play that it would be coming from a major Div 1 school that plays elite level competition. Maybe his time in NFLE has helped him adjust to the next level...we'll wait and see. I still think we need to draft a Day 1 RB so its not like I'm thinking this guy is going to be our savior.

I still don't understand the fascination with Gates... never had great numbers in preseason outside of a few good runs. He wasn't even the starting back for Louisville in his 4 years there.