Hey Chef- I got lots of fresh saffron

Pete

oops-I meant to post this in OT. Please move moderators

I plan on making Ilans Saffron Haupia recipe that he made on the final of Top Chef

Saffron Haupia Frita

Ilan: Finale, Part 1

Haupia is a dessert similar to a chilled custard or gelatin. In this recipe, it is chilled and then deep-fried to form a delicious crispy exterior.

Serves 12.

Ingredients:

4 cups unsweetened coconut milk

1/2 teaspoon saffron

1 cup sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

4 egg yolks plus 2 eggs for egg wash

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 cup flour

1 cup breadcrumbs

Vegetable oil for frying

Confectioners sugar for sprinkling

Directions:

1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. In a large saucepan, combine coconut milk, saffron, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside for 20 minutes for flavors to develop.

3. In a small bowl, combine egg yolks and cornstarch. Whisk mixture until smooth and thick. Add 1 cup of coconut milk mixture and whisk until smooth.

4. Return remaining coconut milk mixture to stove and heat on high. While whisking, add egg yolk mixture in a slow stream. Continue to whisk until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat.

5. Pour thickened mixture into prepared baking sheet. Spread into an even layer using a spatula. Transfer sheet pan to refrigerator and chill until firm and set.

6. Pour oil into a heavy bottomed pot to a depth of 2 inches. Place over medium high heat and heat to 350°F.

7. Remove baking sheet from refrigerator. Invert pan onto a clean cutting board. Remove parchment paper. Cut the firm pudding into desired shapes, using a cookie cutter if necessary.

8. Spread flour onto a shallow plate in an even layer. Beat the two eggs until smooth and transfer to a shallow plate. Spread breadcrumbs on a shallow plate in an even layer.

9. Coat each piece of chilled pudding completely in flour, transfer to egg mixture and coat completely. Transfer to breadcrumbs and coat completely. Repeat with remaining pieces.

10. Once each shape is completely coated in flour, egg wash and breadcrumbs, place in hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Fry until golden brown. Remove using a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining shapes.

11. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve immediately.

If you've got Saffron, you should be cooking....Paella!

I love paella and even have a paella pan. Well the pan is enough for 10-12-too much for me. I also love mussels with a saffron-mint-cream sauce. I am looking for something different. That saffron desert recipe I just posted looks really delicious!

Pete, my father and mother both come from Pennsylvania Dutch country. My Grandmother taught me how to make what I call "Pennsylvania Dutch Stuffing". It was primarily made for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners but since I've learned how to make it I make it every few months or so. I'm biased but this is by far the best stuffing I've ever eaten and obviously it includes saffron in the recipe. I also copied your recipe, thanks. I'll try it some time. :thumbsup:

Pennsylvania Dutch Stuffing

Ingredients:

salt

pepper

eggs (three beaten)

White bread (one loaf)

onions & celery (one pack each of chopped onion and celery at the store is about the right amount)

chicken stock (two cans low fat 14oz.)

saffron (one small package or medium sized pinch)

Potatoes (two cans 14.5oz. Or the equivalent in Fresh potatoes)

Directions:

Things that can be done the night before or on the same day:

Break bread into small pieces. {Cover and leave out on kitchen counter overnight if not using immediately}

Heat, don't boil, the chicken stock, saffron and potatoes together.

Mash the potatoes with a hand held potato masher (not a beater). {This can be refrigerated over night to make saffron flavor peak.}

If the above is done the night before do this on the day you plan to bake stuffing:

Sauté onions and celery in butter lightly salted and peppered until they are soft. (I use one whole stick of real unsalted butter)

Beat eggs and add slowly to bread and mix with spatula to ensure as even a coating on bread as possible.

Then pour in chicken stock, potatoes and saffron in it, and then add the celery and onions to bread and egg mixture. (make sure chicken stock is not so hot it will cook egg. If refrigerated over night this shouldn't be a concern if you lightly warm it back up.) Add small amounts of chicken stock and mix until all bread is soaked and squishy and celery, onions and potatoes are mixed evenly.

Put in casserole pan (2.8 liter) that has been buttered (you can use margarine for this it's easier to spread.) on the bottom and sides and cook at 400 degrees uncovered for one hour. Place three pats of butter evenly on top of stuffing, before putting into oven, so it will melt into stuffing to help keep moist during cooking. The stuffing should be lightly brown on the sides and top when done. :thumbsup:

1oz = 50 calories

Thanks for the stuffing recipe-it looks delicious! I will definately try that one out one of these days. I was hoping Chef Jim was around. I think I am gonna try this asian recipe(Keep saffron recipes coming please):

1/2 teaspoon saffron strands

1.5 kg/3 lb chicken pieces or roasting chicken

3 tablespoons ghee

1 large onion, finely chopped

2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic

1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger

3 fresh red chillies, seeded and sliced

1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

11/2 teaspoons salt

Toast saffron strands in a dry pan over low heat for 1 minute without scorching them. Turn onto a saucer to become cool and crisp, then crush with the back of a spoon. Dissolve in a tablespoon of very hot water.

If using a whole roasting chicken cut into small serving pieces, dividing breast into quarters, separating thigh from drumstick and jointing wings. Heat ghee in a heavy saucepan and gently fry onion, garlic, ginger and chillies until onion is soft and starts to turn golden. Stir frequently. Add dissolved saffron to pan with cardamom and stir well, then add chicken. Increase heat and turn chicken pieces in the mixture until each piece of chicken is golden. Add salt, cover and cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes or until chicken is tender. Uncover pan and continue cooking, turning pieces of chicken often, until almost all the liquid evaporates. Serve with parathas or pilau.

I've cooked with Saffron before, my only advice is to use it sparingly! That stuff is strong and has a distinct taste, but I guess that's why it's so loved...

Maybe you should just sell it on eBay, that Saffron is expensive stuff.

Thanks for the stuffing recipe-it looks delicious! I will definately try that one out one of these days. I was hoping Chef Jim was around. I think I am gonna try this asian recipe(Keep saffron recipes coming please):

1/2 teaspoon saffron strands

1.5 kg/3 lb chicken pieces or roasting chicken

3 tablespoons ghee

1 large onion, finely chopped

2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic

1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger

3 fresh red chillies, seeded and sliced

1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

11/2 teaspoons salt

Toast saffron strands in a dry pan over low heat for 1 minute without scorching them. Turn onto a saucer to become cool and crisp, then crush with the back of a spoon. Dissolve in a tablespoon of very hot water.

If using a whole roasting chicken cut into small serving pieces, dividing breast into quarters, separating thigh from drumstick and jointing wings. Heat ghee in a heavy saucepan and gently fry onion, garlic, ginger and chillies until onion is soft and starts to turn golden. Stir frequently. Add dissolved saffron to pan with cardamom and stir well, then add chicken. Increase heat and turn chicken pieces in the mixture until each piece of chicken is golden. Add salt, cover and cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes or until chicken is tender. Uncover pan and continue cooking, turning pieces of chicken often, until almost all the liquid evaporates. Serve with parathas or pilau.

That sounds great too, thanks. :thumbsup:

Saw this thread and looked up the spice, must be expensive.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron

"A pound of dry saffron (0.45 kg) requires 50,000–75,000 flowers, the equivalent of a football field's area of cultivation."

most expensive spice in the world. Fairly cheap in Spain though. 25g cost me about $40- that would be 4 or 5X that here in the USA. The dish I am gonna make for dinner tonight also has Cardamon- another one of the most expensive spices in the world. Pure vanilla is up there too. Fresh truffles are divine and out of my budget

most expensive spice in the world. Fairly cheap in Spain though. 25g cost me about $40- that would be 4 or 5X that here in the USA. The dish I am gonna make for dinner tonight also has Cardamon- another one of the most expensive spices in the world. Pure vanilla is up there too. Fresh truffles are divine and out of my budget

Spicesnob. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: