Bills coaching staffs over the last 10 years

Wade Phillips era- i liked coach Phillips. if i remember correctly he was the last coach to have us in the playoffs and under him our defense was second best in the league two years in a row (unless im mistaken). these were the Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie times. haha what an era that was! the DC and he did a great job too.. This regime was the last remnants of the Marv Levy bills dynasty era. Grade A-

Gregg Williams- team didn't really do much but we had tommy donawhore running the show and he was too caught up in free agency. Gregg had Jerry Gray as a DC... I remember he got signed soon after Donawhore and they chose him because they thought he was very well organized and brought good structure.. guess they should have gone for a guy that knew how to coach. Grade C+

Mike Mularkey- hmm lets see,., was a sub par OC for the bills then got the promotion to head coach, GREAT IDEA!! wasn't a players coach at all but he did have a good defense one season thanks to Coach Gray and his staff and was fortunate to have Bobby April run his special teams. Take those two out of the equation and you basically get a pile of sh--. I feel he really set back JP Losman with that whole switching out of the QB job over the course of the season. PICK A QB AND STICK WITH IT FOR CHRIST SAKE! I dont think the players really liked him much, they sounded relieved to get coach Jauron. Grade C-

Dick Jauron- Bills better then expected last year. Really helped with the development of JP. I feel like he is really benefiting from Marv Levy running the show now but considering how many young guys marv left him with last year i would say that he did an excellent job helping those players develop into solid starters quick!!! Marv obviously wanted a coach that knew how to coach and develop and maxamize young talent. So far so good. Grade B+

Im not the most knowledgeable fan but what do you guys think?

lol @ wade phillips' grade.

Its crazy how 2 people could have such different opinions on the same subject.

Phillips= D-: id love to give him an F but he made it to the playoffs. But we did have a very talented Defense. I've never seen a coach ( or anyone for that matter) look sooo stupid on the sidelines. every time they would pan the camera to him, while he was making a decision, he was sure to have a dumbfounded look on his face. Im so happy he's in dallas.

Williams= C: Classic case of a great coordinator that doesnt yet know how to be a head coach. He put together a great defense(having pat williams helped too). But he stunk.

Mularkey= C+: Classic case of a coordinator that doesnt know much.

Jauron= B: Did a good job at keeping them competitive after a rough 3-4 game stretch. This year will tell a lot.

lol @ wade phillips' grade.

Its crazy how 2 people could have such different opinions on the same subject.

Phillips= D-: id love to give him an F but he made it to the playoffs. But we did have a very talented Defense. I've never seen a coach ( or anyone for that matter) look sooo stupid on the sidelines. every time they would pan the camera to him, while he was making a decision, he was sure to have a dumbfounded look on his face. Im so happy he's in dallas.

Williams= C: Classic case of a great coordinator that doesnt yet know how to be a head coach. He put together a great defense(having pat williams helped too). But he stunk.

Mularkey= C+: Classic case of a coordinator that doesnt know much.

Jauron= B: Did a good job at keeping them competitive after a rough 3-4 game stretch. This year will tell a lot.

:D ok so you admit that williams knows defense and meathead knows nothing, but you grade meathead higher? :D

I think what rubs people the wrong way, most, about Mularkey, was the way he left, after committing to stay. It just ilustrated, to me, a lack of a backbone. Not a good quality for a coach. He wasn't leaving for a better job, he was just leaving to get away from the team that we love. You have seen in recent months, we take it pretty hard around here, when Buffalo is disrespected like that.

I am very pleased to have Jauron, but, I wouldn't been so upset if Mularkey had stayed on. I think he really shot himself in the foot, and screwed his career up, by leaving the Bills, the way he did. I know a couple people who work for the team, and all were sad to see MM leave...they said he was a great guy. Contrary to what Vikingumboot says, Mularkey was liked by his players, his assistants, and the front office staff. He started to unravel in his second season, when he was caught between TD's ego, and his coaching instincts.

Mularkey was not sold on starting that season out, with JP Losman as his starting QB. It was completely TD's decision. They weren't necesMost of the offensive coaches were not in favor of it, and most of the vetrans were not. Mularkey, being the loyal soldier that he was, had to make it appear that he was on board with the decision. It caused a lot of dissention amongst the players. To make matters worse, once the season started, and it was apparent that JP Losman was very raw, it was TD who demanded the switch to Holcomb.

Mularkey's problem was that he was not a strong enough individual to stand up to TD, because he felt indebted to him, for giving him the job he had. Neither men, TD or MM, saw TD's firing coming. TD was genuinely shcoked to be fired. Ironically, I am fairly confident that Mularkey would have done well, if he had stayed with the Bills, and worked with Levy. Marv genuinely liked him, and seems to have the kind of patience that

Nice post as usual. I've argued this before but am constantly amazed how anyone ranks GW ahead of Meathead. Does anyone remember wanting to stab their eyes out watching an offense that couldn't score a single TD in seven games games in 2003? It made the Todd Collins year look like the Kgun era; nevermind the dreadful defense in 2002.

I agree except I'd give meathead an F--. He's no more of a head coach than I am.

I'd be kinder and give Meathead a solid "D"

I hope he enjoys his role as Fins Tight Ends Coach this year

From HC to OC to Tight Ends coach in the span of 15 months. A spectacular fall for the Fort Lauderale buffoon.

Wade Phillips era- i liked coach Phillips. if i remember correctly he was the last coach to have us in the playoffs and under him our defense was second best in the league two years in a row (unless im mistaken). these were the Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie times. haha what an era that was! the DC and he did a great job too.. This regime was the last remnants of the Marv Levy bills dynasty era. Grade A-

Gregg Williams- team didn't really do much but we had tommy donawhore running the show and he was too caught up in free agency. Gregg had Jerry Gray as a DC... I remember he got signed soon after Donawhore and they chose him because they thought he was very well organized and brought good structure.. guess they should have gone for a guy that knew how to coach. Grade C+

Mike Mularkey- hmm lets see,., was a sub par OC for the bills then got the promotion to head coach, GREAT IDEA!! wasn't a players coach at all but he did have a good defense one season thanks to Coach Gray and his staff and was fortunate to have Bobby April run his special teams. Take those two out of the equation and you basically get a pile of sh--. I feel he really set back JP Losman with that whole switching out of the QB job over the course of the season. PICK A QB AND STICK WITH IT FOR CHRIST SAKE! I dont think the players really liked him much, they sounded relieved to get coach Jauron. Grade C-

Dick Jauron- Bills better then expected last year. Really helped with the development of JP. I feel like he is really benefiting from Marv Levy running the show now but considering how many young guys marv left him with last year i would say that he did an excellent job helping those players develop into solid starters quick!!! Marv obviously wanted a coach that knew how to coach and develop and maxamize young talent. So far so good. Grade B+

Im not the most knowledgeable fan but what do you guys think?

Wade = C- Yes, he made the playoffs. He did not take care of all facets of the team, special teams was a disaster on his watch. Had to deal with Ralph's interferenece but still, he is not a great motivator or planner for a HC.

Gregggggoh - F. He failed in his debut. He had very little talent his first season and got a lot of of the team. In waas downhill from there. His arrogance and his inexperience got the best of him. In retrospect, he was a very bad hire. Other coaches interviewed went on to be successful.

Meathead - F. He had talent and could not consistently produce. His inexperience was a big factor in his demise and he did not win over the veterans. It sure seemed like he was never in control. TD decided who his OL and his QB would be; Meathead was a basically a figurehead.

Dick J. - B so far, but still more of an incomplete.