Interesting Article about Bills DT Situation

H2o

Some people are calling for Branch,others for Okoye, and even some for Justin Harrell. I think that we're good at DT until the late rounds of the draft. Then if a DT is the best player on the board after our needs are taken care of, take one. I'm hoping/expecting big-time play out of McCargo this year. Hopefully, since he got away from the NC State medical staff and under the care of our medical team, the ship has been righted.

This is a scary thought (and not good scary):

"Aaron Schobel, a 14-sack Pro Bowler in '06, has lost a whopping 19 pounds this offseason (from 262 to 243). Although that appears quite small for a modern-day end, it means the seven-year veteran should be even speedier in terms of getting into enemy backfields next year -- a scary thought for AFC East offenses, for sure."

Schobel was already undersized and I can't imagine anybody with their hand on the ground every down weighing so little. The guy was very good last year, why mess with that?

If he is fast AND strong, he should be as good or better at pass rushing. What I would like to see him perfect is the "Bruce" inside spin. That redirects the momentum of those big OL or TEs away from where he wants to go. The result is a tackle or plugged hole.

His biggest weakness that a good OL and QB could counter, was directing his rush speed deep to run around his blocker on the outside, allowing the QB to step up into the pocket. This effectively took him out of the play (especially shovel pass or draw).

I am a BIG Schobel fan, and hope to see another banner year!

Umm didnt I read that the prototype ends were around 270 or so? Maybe not but these two dont scare me as much as Schobel. Someone tell him skinnier isnt prettier.

If they are going for speed though skinner is good. Speed=better pass rush if used right. It looks like our DT's have gained weight to stop the run while our DE's will provide the D with the pass rush. Last year, the DT's didnt do that good of a job plugging up holes and we could also use more pass rush.

This is a scary thought (and not good scary):

"Aaron Schobel, a 14-sack Pro Bowler in '06, has lost a whopping 19 pounds this offseason (from 262 to 243). Although that appears quite small for a modern-day end, it means the seven-year veteran should be even speedier in terms of getting into enemy backfields next year -- a scary thought for AFC East offenses, for sure."

Schobel was already undersized and I can't imagine anybody with their hand on the ground every down weighing so little. The guy was very good last year, why mess with that?

Bruce Smith tried this once too. Had a really down year and decided to put a little weight back on.

That would be a horrible move. he had 14 sacks last year plus i doubt he has any cover skills

Also i never thought we needed a DT

This was done more or less tongue-in cheek. Perhaps had I attached one of these " :wallbash: " it would have served me better. Schobel is clearly staying put as he should.