Turner for a #1,or swap of #1s

Hershal Walker

Rob Johnson

Drew Bledsoe

Alvin Harper

Peerless Price

Trading picks for other team's players has a way of biting you in the ass. Please Marv, don't do it.

Turner is a 2 down back that has just 7 catches, 5 touchdowns and has only averaged 5 carries per game average in the NFL.

Both Peterson and Lynch will have better careers than this guy. Count on it.

Alvin Harper?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John Elway.

Brett Favre.

Marshall Faulk.

Jerome Bettis.

Yura Moron.

You want the Bills to trade away a 1st round pick and cough up big bucks for a bench warmer? No sir, you are indeed the moron in this argument.

Thank God you are not the Bills GM.

You want the Bills to trade away a 1st round pick and cough up big bucks for a bench warmer? No sir, you are indeed the moron in this argument.

Thank God you are not the Bills GM.

I don't know if it is a good idea or not. I do know the Bills themselves are considering it or he wouldn't have been here today. I myself would probably do it because we need one badly. But mine is just an opinion and I don't know either way whether it will turn out to be good or not.

What I do know, however, is that it's criminally stupid to just list five random guys over 15 years that were traded and who didn't pan out (only four of which were actually traded) as any proof whatsoever that it's a bad idea.

I don't know if I'd even swap seconds...........

Wow. I'm glad you aren't our GM. Turner is a stud player and will be great whenever he gets to start. I watched him all last year (living in San Diego, that's about all we get), and he is a legitimate talent. I would give up our second in a heartbeat if I weren't concerned about how much more than Lynch/Pittman he will cost to sign for similar length.

I don't know if it is a good idea or not. I do know the Bills themselves are considering it or he wouldn't have been here today. I myself would probably do it because we need one badly. But mine is just an opinion and I don't know either way whether it will turn out to be good or not.

What I do know, however, is that it's criminally stupid to just list five random guys over 15 years that were traded and who didn't pan out (only four of which were actually traded) as any proof whatsoever that it's a bad idea.

Turner may be in Buffalo to determine if he fits with the program.

That has nothing to do with whata the Bills are willing to offer SD.

Anything more than a #3 is overpaying for unfilled potential.

I'm going by history and I also included a couple of Bills (Johnson, Bledsoe), who were second string players on the teams they were coming from, that the Bills traded away 1st rounders for and frankly got nothing but years of grief in return. I have a very bad feeling that Turner will bring us down the same disastrous road. I know it sounds out there, but it is a safer bet to go with Peterson or Lynch. I firmly believe both players have better "game" than Mr. 6.6 yards per carry.

The other downside is making the Chargers (who will very good for years to come), that much harder to beat. They will actually get the receiver (the only known hole of theirs) they've been praying for! Not a smart thing to do in my book. You build through the draft like Polian has always done and has always been successfull at.

I'm going by history and I also included a couple of Bills (Johnson, Bledsoe), who were second string players on the teams they were coming from, that the Bills traded away 1st rounders for and frankly got nothing but years of grief in return. I have a very bad feeling that Turner will bring us down the same disastrous road. I know it sounds out there, but it is a safer bet to go with Peterson or Lynch. I firmly believe both players have better "game" than Mr. 6.6 yards per carry.

The other downside is making the Chargers (who will very good for years to come), that much harder to beat. They will actually get the receiver (the only known hole of theirs) they've been praying for! Not a smart thing to do in my book. You build through the draft like Polian has always done and has always been successfull at.

Yes, you provided the failures, but why do you ignore the historical successes?

Here's a question few have answered. If Turner is just another backup, why did Chargers tender the highest amount for him? If he's just hype that was sitting behind Ladanian, wouldn't every NFL pro personnel director see through the rouse and not try to trade for him? Wouldn't you agree that it's a very high stakes gamble by Chargers to tender him at $2.35 mil, if he was just another backup? If no one bites, Chargers are stuck paying $2.35 mil of real money for a benchwarmer. Find another RFA backup that was tendered $2.35 mil.

Chargers did this because they knew there would be heavy interest for Turner from professional talent evaluators, and think that adjusted for salary, Turner is equivalent of a late 1st round pick this year.

Now tell me how it's a guarantee that Peterson or Lynch will be more Barry Sanders than Curtis Enis.

Here's a question few have answered. If Turner is just another backup, why did Chargers tender the highest amount for him? If he's just hype that was sitting behind Ladanian, wouldn't every NFL pro personnel director see through the rouse and not try to trade for him? Wouldn't you agree that it's a very high stakes gamble by Chargers to tender him at $2.35 mil, if he was just another backup? If no one bites, Chargers are stuck paying $2.35 mil of real money for a benchwarmer. Find another RFA backup that was tendered $2.35 mil.

Chargers did this because they knew there would be heavy interest for Turner from professional talent evaluators, and think that adjusted for salary, Turner is equivalent of a late 1st round pick this year.

Now tell me how it's a guarantee that Peterson or Lynch will be more Barry Sanders than Curtis Enis.

I focused on the failures because the Bills are the ones who have been bitten by them.

Turner is the Chargers insurance policy if ever LT were to go down with a major injury. They are a team that can afford the luxury of retaining a back like Turner who has performed when called upon. That's why they tendered him with the highest amount. That's also why they are being stubborn in trade talks. If I were them I'd think long and hard about letting him go. As for the hype, I hope the Bills are not going to be the ones to throw the dice on him. Maybe if he's shown more as a pass catching all around threat then I'd be more psyched about the possiblity. But what I see is a two down back, who has one gawdy stat to his credit.

Turner is garnering attention, but the problem here is that the Chargers are holding out for a trade price that's unreasonably high given the previous trades for more or less proven starting runningbacks.

I honestly believe that Lynch will be better than Turner. There's obviously strong feelings on both sides of this fence.

I think you're wrong. There's no way that a career back up, who's padded his stats in blow out wins is a better player than a can't-miss prospect from college. Isn't that right, Blair Thomas? Or did I have him mixed up with Curtis Enis? I get those guys mixed up, ever since they switched their nameplates at the Canton ceremonies.

:w00t::)

Turner may be in Buffalo to determine if he fits with the program.

That has nothing to do with whata the Bills are willing to offer SD.

Anything more than a #3 is overpaying for unfilled potential.

LSD post of the day, Obie. EVERY draft choice is ONLY potential, including the #1 pick in the draft.

Yikes, that's below your standard.

I'm not saying Turner is surely going to be a stud. That is something no one knows, not you, not me, not AJ Smith, not Marv, not Turner himself. But the one thing that kind of stands out to me is that virtually everyone except some small portion of outsider fans seem to think he is the real deal. He has never, to my knowledge, NOT been terrific. He was terrific in college, one of the greatest statistical running backs in NCAA history. ALL of the Charger fans seem to think he is terrific. The pundits seem to think he is terrific. AJ Smith does. LT and Neal do. All three years he's played he's played terrific. Someone earlier posted his pre-season stats and they were terrific. He has never NOT been terrific. He has no physical limitations. He is big and strong and fast and he runs hard and rarely fumbles. So that makes me believe he will be pretty good.

What historical successes would you be talking about? I can't think of one single success story in which the Bills traded their 1st rd. pick for a player that had NFL playing experience... not one.

Judging by your avatar you seem to be a man of some experience.

Avatar is having a bad week. It should start clearing up soon...I hope. Doctor put some topical cream on it...

What historical successes would you be talking about? I can't think of one single success story in which the Bills traded their 1st rd. pick for a player that had NFL playing experience... not one.

Yes, it is ONLY Bills experience we should learn from. :w00t:

Avatar is having a bad week. It should start clearing up soon...I hope. Doctor put some topical cream on it...

I feel your pain buddy. Here are the physical effect of LSD.

# Dilated pupils

# Raised body temperature

# Rapid heartbeat and elevated blood pressure

# Increased blood sugar

# Salivation

# Dry mouth

# Tingling fingers and toes

# Weakness

# Tremors

# Palpitations

# Facial flushing

# Chills and gooseflesh

# Sweating

# Nausea

# Loss of appetite

# Dizziness

# Blurred vision

# Sleeplessness

Everything I get when I watch the Bills at the Ralph. What are they putting in that beer? Either way it's worth it. Go Bills!!!!!!!!!

If you trade him for the first or swap of the firsts, the Cash to cap allotted to the rookies goes significantly down from the signing bonus a #12 pick would get as opposed to the #30 pick. We could easily structure the contract so the cash laid out to him fits even within our policy. The guaranteed money can be split between this year and next. Put it this way, I highly doubt that Turner would have been at OBD today if they didn't think they were already in the ballpark and capable of signing him.

While still not sold on the first round pick idea I hadnt thought of splitting the guarantess between years. Thanks Kelly.