The Buffalo Bills and Marshawn Lynch

I'm tired of all of the Michael Turner talk. Why do we want to help the Chargers out? Not only that, but Lynch is tougher and a lot more of real "football player" then Turner will ever be. Just a feeling I have regarding the two backs. I'm tired of figuring out how the Bills can trade up for Adrian Peterson. Why give away high draft picks when Lynch is tougher and a lot more of real "football player" then Peterson will ever be. Again, just a feeling I have regarding the two backs. I'm tired of the Patrick Willis talk. Crowell is our MLB and the Bills can find Spikes replacement in the second and third rounds (Durant, Alexander ect). The first Bills need is RB so why mess with it by getting cute and drafting at a position where we already have a starter. I'm starting to hope that he's taken by San Fanscisco so the Bills are forced to draft Lynch.

Buffalo is a no nonsense tough town that should embrace, yes embrace, a guy like Marshawn Lynch. Being shot at (victim of mistaken identity), I have a feeling that he doesn't scare easy. Especially by the likes of a fancy boy like Teddy Bruschi. He's been the victim of an extortion plot, so he's already been initiated into the pitfalls and downside of NFL groupies. The guy loves his momma like the great Jim Kelly loved his momma. This kid was dealt a bad hand and has made himself into a successfull football running machine.

I see guys like Turner and Peterson as thoroughbreds, I see Marshawn Lynch as a "football player". Just because he grew up in a bad area, doesn't mean he has character problems. I sometimes wonder why so many here want Brian Leonard because he's a "team guy" with "high character". Why isn't Lynch praised for his character? Seems to me he's come from much farther back and he's done a lot more for his teams than Leonard has. He's shown that he's a fighter to get where he's is now. I hope more fans here will start showing their support for this guy, a tough guy made for Buffalo. You can take Turner and Peterson, I want the Bills to draft Lynch no matter what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshawn_Lynch

Has Lynch Had his proday yet??? I wasn't very impressed with his performance at the combine.

He stood on his combine numbers where he ran a sub 4.5 in the forty:

http://nfldraftguys.com/features/2007_NFL_...pdate_Nowak.php

"Marshawn Lynch (California) 5111 215 4.46 (DNR)

After an unofficial time over 4.50 in his first run, Lynch came back with a sub-4.5 time on his second and visible sense of satisfaction, combined with a little relief, about him. He may have recognized he passed a conceptual line in the sand for separating good speed from elite speed for RBs, and passed a final hurdle in locking himself in as a first round pick. Lynch was solid, but unspectacular, in most of the other tests. Demonstrating his timed speed correlated to the functional speed he showed as a playmaker (6.6 ypc for his career) in college increases the likelihood those skills will transfer, which was the most important thing he could have shown at the Combine.

The other work to take care of there was shedding any lingering concerns about his character. Last summer his car was shot at in a drive-by shooting that was apparently a case of mistaken identity. His mother actually received a call apologizing and saying the shooter thought Lynch was someone else. Of more serious concern was a recent allegation of assault by an ex-girlfriend in December. The case was promptly dismissed for lack of evidence and apparently was an attempt at extortion. By all accounts, none of these unfortunate incidents have tarnished perception of his character.

With a more compact build than Peterson, the conventional wisdom is Lynch will be less prone to big hits, hence injury, over his career. However, Lynch is also not without some problems in that department the last couple of years. In his first season as a feature back in 2005, a broken pinky cost him two games. This past season, he dealt with a sore back and sprains in both ankles for the second half of the season. However, neither that nor the loss of two all-conference linemen stopped him from having his best year in his final season.

At Cal's Pro Day, he weighed three pounds heavier (218) and sat on his Combine numbers, but impressed with his receiving skills in position drills.

On film, Lynch's vision really stands out. He is a patient runner with good instincts through traffic and excellent at finding the cutback lane. He is also not only a complete back, but a complete football player. A top kick returner, he is also a willing special teams player with five career tackles. A natural receiver both out of the backfield and split out, he also became the serviceable blocker a back needs to be in HC Jeff Tedfordís pro-style offense. If you need him to, he can also throw a pass for you. Lynch says he can throw a ball 70 yards and QB is his ìdream positionî. He completed four of five passes for 55 yards and two scores in college.

While his ceiling is as high as Atlanta with the eighth overall pick, he is likely a mid-to-late first rounder. The trade of Willis McGahee makes Buffalo with the twelfth pick an appealing match, as well as Green Bay with the sixteenth. I still feel Lynch is underappreciated. He didnít put up eye-popping numbers in college because he never needed to. Cal had one of the deepest backfields in the country in a top overall offense each of his years. The presence of spotlight-grabbing skill position players like Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson have also kept Lynch from getting more press in this draft class. However, he would be a top RB prospect in any class, any year."

The Buffalo Bills and Marshawn Lynch, equals a perfect match

How many games have you seen Marshawn play?

I saw him play against USC. If your point is that you have to have watched all of your favorite college player's games then a lot of people here would have to obstain on their opinions on who they want the Bills to draft. How come you don't ask the Patrick Willis supporters this question? Because I'm sure you obviously realize that there's a whole lot of people here who've been watching Ole Miss games! :)

BTW, I see you're a big fan of Brain Leonard and dead set against the Bills taking Marshawn Lynch. Hmmm, I wonder why this is? Is it because of where he comes from?

I'm tired of figuring out how the Bills can trade up for Adrian Peterson. Why give away high draft picks when Lynch is tougher and a lot more of real "football player" then Peterson will ever be.
Before you make empty-headed statements like that in a vain effort to garner attention, maybe you should actually watch Peterson play ball. That kid runs like a freaking warrior and in addition to carrying the Okie offense on his back I've sent plenty of instances where he's carrying half the opposing defense on his back as well.

It means the other two guys would be much more likely to turn into pussys when the going got tough.

Does that clear up your confusion?

Maybe his confusion probably stems from the fact that nobody who actually watched Peterson would ever actually make that moronic of a statement.

I saw him play against USC. If your point is that you have to have watched all of your favorite college player's games then a lot of people here would have to obstain on their opinions on who they want the Bills to draft. How come you don't ask the Patrick Willis supporters this question? Because I'm sure you obviously realize that there's a whole lot of people here who've been watching Ole Miss games! :)

BTW, I see you're a big fan of Brain Leonard and dead set against the Bills taking Marshawn Lynch. Hmmm, I wonder why this is? Is it because of where he comes from?

I would not say I am dead set against Marshawn but his back makes me nervous and I dont think he is in the same class as Peterson. I like Leonard because we could probably get him in the second or third round and he is so versatile. He would start from day 1 at FB for us and he is a great receiver out of the backfield. I think JP could really use an outlet receiver, either a stud TE or a quality FB. I think Leonard is gonna be in this league along time. Its all speculation on my part-I am sure Marv and company are doing their homework as we speak

Before you make empty-headed statements like that in a vain effort to garner attention, maybe you should actually watch Peterson play ball. That kid runs like a freaking warrior and in addition to carrying the Okie offense on his back I've sent plenty of instances where he's carrying half the opposing defense on his back as well.

Maybe his confusion probably stems from the fact that nobody who actually watched Peterson would ever actually make that moronic of a statement.

I'm sorry if I offended your boyfriend Adrian but my money is on Marshawn "Money" Lynch being the tougher of the two players and the better match for the Buffalo Bills. Not a guy who gets injured doing freakin cartwheels in the endzone.

I would not say I am dead set against Marshawn but his back makes me nervous and I dont think he is in the same class as Peterson. I like Leonard because we could probably get him in the second or third round and he is so versatile. He would start from day 1 at FB for us and he is a great receiver out of the backfield. I think JP could really use an outlet receiver, either a stud TE or a quality FB. I think Leonard is gonna be in this league along time. Its all speculation on my part-I am sure Marv and company are doing their homework as we speak

If we went defense in the first (Willis), I wouldn't get that riled up with the Bills taking a look at Leonard in the second or third. I just think that getting a starting RB is a must the closer we get to the draft. Regarding Lynch, I see a player that is the perfect fit for us and for the Bills not to overthink themselves and just draft him.

If we went defense in the first (Willis), I wouldn't get that riled up with the Bills taking a look at Leonard in the second or third. I just think that getting a starting RB is a must the closer we get to the draft. Regarding Lynch, I see a player that is the perfect fit for us and for the Bills not to overthink themselves and just draft him.

I would love to see us draft Willis, then Leonard, then grab Michael Bush in the 4th, using our 3rd round picks on CB, LB, or TE.

As Rodney says, "why can't we all just get along."

There really is not a definite either-or-situation between Turner or Lynch for several reasons:

1. In this league which is happy to imitate the success of others, one of the current trends in toward having two quality RBs on your offense. Those who would claim there is no way a team would get 2 RBs such as Turner and Lynch at the same time are investing in the same thinking that said New Orleans would never draft Bush because they already had McCalister or that the Pats blew it picking Mulroney because the presence of Dillon made a rookie RB a non-need.

2. If you look at the current Bills roster the only likely certainties are that A-Train will be here and that Cieslak will likely play at least a back-up FB role for this team. Many feel Shaud Williams may not make this team at all this year and though people say good things about Fred Jackson, no one is betting the ranch and the dog he will make the final roster.

The Bills may well be looking to fill as many as three RB slots from players not already on the team and to do this adequately you are probably talking about an FA signing such as Turner and not one but in fact two RB picks in the draft.

3. Despite the hyperbolic claims for signing Turner or drafting Lynch, a lot of this is actually proponents of Lynch badmouthing Turner or Turner fans raising concerns about Lynch. As a Bills fan I hope both sides are wrong as we have a fair shot at acquiring either or both players.

The fact is that there are serious doubts about the prospects of either as a Bill. Like it or not Turner was a back-up and remains little in terms of being a potential starter except having potential which simply means you have not done the job yet.

The same is true of Lynch who has gained zero yards yet in the NFL because he is just a great collegian which for NFL purposes also means he has not done anything yet.

The accomplishments of both make them reasonable prospects but they are no where near stone cold certainties yet.

In fact, even though the conventional wisdom is that anyone drafted in the first round should be a starter, a look at the depth charts of all teams a couple of weeks ago showed that only 18 of the 32 1st round choices last year were even first on the depth chart at their position as we approached the draft.

The conventional wisdom was simply wrong for almost 50% of what was judged to be a pretty strong draft,

The real debate here is not between a choice between Lynch or Turner, but actually a choice between Lynch and Willis or an OLB (particularly if we trade down).

Lynch and Turner are linked in that if the Bills sign Turner they likely will feel comfortable enough at RB to make their first pick an LB, but even if they do not sign Turner they still may well choose to go LB depending on what their plan is.

Brian Leonard, the Ed Marinaro of his time. :)

I'm tired of all of the Michael Turner talk. Why do we want to help the Chargers out? Not only that, but Lynch is tougher and a lot more of real "football player" then Turner will ever be. Just a feeling I have regarding the two backs. I'm tired of figuring out how the Bills can trade up for Adrian Peterson. Why give away high draft picks when Lynch is tougher and a lot more of real "football player" then Peterson will ever be. Again, just a feeling I have regarding the two backs. I'm tired of the Patrick Willis talk. Crowell is our MLB and the Bills can find Spikes replacement in the second and third rounds (Durant, Alexander ect). The first Bills need is RB so why mess with it by getting cute and drafting at a position where we already have a starter. I'm starting to hope that he's taken by San Fanscisco so the Bills are forced to draft Lynch.

Buffalo is a no nonsense tough town that should embrace, yes embrace, a guy like Marshawn Lynch. Being shot at (victim of mistaken identity), I have a feeling that he doesn't scare easy. Especially by the likes of a fancy boy like Teddy Bruschi. He's been the victim of an extortion plot, so he's already been initiated into the pitfalls and downside of NFL groupies. The guy loves his momma like the great Jim Kelly loved his momma. This kid was dealt a bad hand and has made himself into a successfull football running machine.

I see guys like Turner and Peterson as thoroughbreds, I see Marshawn Lynch as a "football player". Just because he grew up in a bad area, doesn't mean he has character problems. I sometimes wonder why so many here want Brian Leonard because he's a "team guy" with "high character". Why isn't Lynch praised for his character? Seems to me he's come from much farther back and he's done a lot more for his teams than Leonard has. He's shown that he's a fighter to get where he's is now. I hope more fans here will start showing their support for this guy, a tough guy made for Buffalo. You can take Turner and Peterson, I want the Bills to draft Lynch no matter what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshawn_Lynch

i cant believe im saying this, but i agree with 1billsfan, good post

Marshawn Lynch is&will be the most complete back out of this draft

I don't mean to imply that he's not a good player; just that he's not a great player. I watch Cal a few times a year just because I dig the diversity and ingenuity of Tedford's offense so I've seen Lynch play some. I actually like him because he plays his ass off, is versatile, and plays a smart game. I think he's the kind of guy who can carve out a nice little NFL career for himself. But with a juicy #12 pick I don't want a guy who can have a nice little career, I want an explosive player who can make plays that change games and I just don't see that in Lynch. I think he's another guy in a long line of guys from Fresno, Oregon and Cal who were solid players that broke or neared school records because they were playing in that Tedford offense and then only went on to be journeyman backs in the NFL. I think in the next 2-3 years Marshawn Lynch will join the company of guys like Onterrio Smith, Michale Pittman, Maurice Morris, JJ Arrington, Ruben Droughns, Saladin McCulough, etc. All those guys were average players who put up big numbers playing under JeffT but couldn't be gamebreakers when they no longer had the advantage of playing in tons of space against inferior defenders.

Lynch will be a nice addition to somebody's team and and able versatile player if utilized properly, but I want a ProBowlin, playmakin, bigballin, bluechip stud with that pick and Peterson is the only back I've seen in this draft that fits that description.