2007 RB reviews

http://nfldraftguys.com/features/2007_NFL_...pdate_Nowak.php

interesting read on the 2007 RB class

Brandon Jackson gets a good plug

Nice article, OB. Bottom line, IMO:

There are a lot of good backs to be had in this draft. There are even a few VERY GOOD backs to be had.

This is a very nice sort of in depth article. This was very interesting. It still sounds like Peterson is the best back in the draft though.

Marshawn is and will be the most complete back coming out of this draft....If he is there at 12...you draft him...

Marshawn is and will be the most complete back coming out of this draft....If he is there at 12...you draft him...

I agree he is the best back for what the Bills do. OTOH I think Marv goes D (and I agree).

with that said, I'd be quite happy with Lynch

He's another overrated PAC-10 John Doe whose greatest strength is that he benefited from always playing in a ton of space in a brilliantly concieved and executed Jeff Tedford offense against a bunch of porous PAC 10 defenses composed of future insurance salesman.

And since I was offline for a month I was wondering what is your current total of "draft Marshawn Lynch" posts on this board. The way you were going the last time I was here you were on pace for posting the exact same opinion approximately 1,487 times before draft day. :thumbsup:

He's another overrated PAC-10 John Doe whose greatest strength is that he benefited from always playing in a ton of space in a brilliantly concieved and executed Jeff Tedford offense against a bunch of porous PAC 10 defenses composed of future insurance salesman.

And since I was offline for a month I was wondering what is your current total of "draft Marshawn Lynch" posts on this board. The way you were going the last time I was here you were on pace for posting the exact same opinion approximately 1,487 times before draft day. :thumbsup:

You know i respect your opinion, Simon (and I'm well aware of your non-homosexual man crush on Tedford...and least i THINK it's non-homosexual :w00t: ), but Lynch is the real deal, IMO. Dunno how much you get to see of him up northeast. I saw plenty in Cal and he's a total package, IMO. In fact, as weird as this may sound, I'd almost PREFER him to Peterson for our offense.

With that said....I hope we go D (LB would be nice) in Rd #1.

I have always thought that Selvin Young was the spitting image of Thurman. He is the same size the same speed and he even ran like Thurman. It's too bad that he hasn't been able to succeed like Thurman. Maybe a late round flier?

BTW- that size is to me still the best for an NFL back. 5-10 to 5-11 and around 210-215 lbs. All the best backs filled that mold. Emmit, Barry, Thurman, LT. Walter payton was similar in stature as well.... Small enough to be elusive and big enough to take the abuse of being an every down back...

about his character. Last summer his car was shot at in a drive-by shooting that was apparently a case of mistaken identity. His mother actually received a call apologizing and saying the shooter thought Lynch was someone else. Of more serious concern was a recent allegation of assault by an ex-girlfriend in December. The case was promptly dismissed for lack of evidence and apparently was an attempt at extortion. By all accounts, none of these unfortunate incidents have tarnished perception of his character.

No WAY Marv picks this guy! It will not happen. He'll pick Pittman.

Michael Bush looks like a day 2 steal according to this guy.

I really like Michael Bush as our RB next year, I think this kid is going to be an amazing player

I would love to see the Bills take a flyer on Bush on day 2! A great draft IMO would be:

1-Willis

2-Brian Leonard

3-CB

3-LB or WR

4-Michael Bush

That being said- Adrian Peterson seems like the real deal and head and shoulders above any other RBs. If we can get him that would be fantastic!

.....Lynch is the real deal, IMO. Dunno how much you get to see of him up northeast. I saw plenty in Cal and he's a total package, IMO. In fact, as weird as this may sound, I'd almost PREFER him to Peterson for our offense.

I don't mean to imply that he's not a good player; just that he's not a great player. I watch Cal a few times a year just because I dig the diversity and ingenuity of Tedford's offense so I've seen Lynch play some. I actually like him because he plays his ass off, is versatile, and plays a smart game. I think he's the kind of guy who can carve out a nice little NFL career for himself. But with a juicy #12 pick I don't want a guy who can have a nice little career, I want an explosive player who can make plays that change games and I just don't see that in Lynch. I think he's another guy in a long line of guys from Fresno, Oregon and Cal who were solid players that broke or neared school records because they were playing in that Tedford offense and then only went on to be journeyman backs in the NFL. I think in the next 2-3 years Marshawn Lynch will join the company of guys like Onterrio Smith, Michale Pittman, Maurice Morris, JJ Arrington, Ruben Droughns, Saladin McCulough, etc. All those guys were average players who put up big numbers playing under JeffT but couldn't be gamebreakers when they no longer had the advantage of playing in tons of space against inferior defenders.

Lynch will be a nice addition to somebody's team and and able versatile player if utilized properly, but I want a ProBowlin, playmakin, bigballin, bluechip stud with that pick and Peterson is the only back I've seen in this draft that fits that description.

That being said, unless Peterson is miraculously there (I don't see him getting out of the Top5) like you I hope that we go defense (particularly Front7) in the first.

Cya

I don't mean to imply that he's not a good player; just that he's not a great player. I watch Cal a few times a year just because I dig the diversity and ingenuity of Tedford's offense so I've seen Lynch play some. I actually like him because he plays his ass off, is versatile, and plays a smart game. I think he's the kind of guy who can carve out a nice little NFL career for himself. But with a juicy #12 pick I don't want a guy who can have a nice little career, I want an explosive player who can make plays that change games and I just don't see that in Lynch. I think he's another guy in a long line of guys from Fresno, Oregon and Cal who were solid players that broke or neared school records because they were playing in that Tedford offense and then only went on to be journeyman backs in the NFL. I think in the next 2-3 years Marshawn Lynch will join the company of guys like Onterrio Smith, Michale Pittman, Maurice Morris, JJ Arrington, Ruben Droughns, Saladin McCulough, etc. All those guys were average players who put up big numbers playing under JeffT but couldn't be gamebreakers when they no longer had the advantage of playing in tons of space against inferior defenders.

Lynch will be a nice addition to somebody's team and and able versatile player if utilized properly, but I want a ProBowlin, playmakin, bigballin, bluechip stud with that pick and Peterson is the only back I've seen in this draft that fits that description.

That being said, unless Peterson is miraculously there (I don't see him getting out of the Top5) like you I hope that we go defense (particularly Front7) in the first.

Cya

Well, we agree about the pick (Go D, Marv), but disagree about Lynch. He's no Ontertio Smith, IMO. I think he IS a game breaker.

I, like many others, see Peterson as an Eric Dickerson type...and that kind of back is not the kind we need, IMO. He will be GREAT for some offense..just don't think it will be ours.

Now, should he fall to us, and we pick him up, then we re-tool what we do on offense, IMO. Can/will Fairchild to that?

Whoa. Read that again, buddy...

I hear ya. But, this is what I'm saying,.

I would rather have a Marshall Faulk (for this team and this OC) than an ED. I'd rather have a Thurman Thomas than an ED. Hell, I may even rather have an (in his prime) Garrison Hearst than an ED...OK, maybe I won't go that far. <_<

My point is, if we get AP, I think our offensive philosophy may have to be different than what Fairchild is used to in order to make getting the new toy worthwhile.

Here's a couple of questions I REALLY don't the answers to, and some of you may:

Will Adrian pick up the blitz? Will he play hard, and do what needs to be done, even if he's not carrying the rock?

I know he won't be a receiving threat, although he can probably learn to run a screen.

Go ahead, school me. I'm always open to new info.

My point is, if we get AP, I think our offensive philosophy may have to be different than what Fairchild is used to in order to make getting the new toy worthwhile.
Maybe its the dementia but I cant think of any reason(s) the Bills would change anything. Maybe they'd tend to run off the edge a bit more to take advantage of Peterson's explosiveness but I think they prefer that anyways and only went away from it because of McGahee's complete and utter lack of vision. Peterson can do anything Lynch can do and in most cases can probably do it better.

Will he play hard, and do what needs to be done, even if he's not carrying the rock?

He's a willing blocker, he's an OK pass-catcher although he wasn't given near as many opportunities as Lynch was in the diverse Cal offense. As for him playing hard, you've got to check this kid out when you get a chance. One of the things I like abut Lynch is how hard he plays and Peterson does not take a back seat to him in this department. He's an absolute warrior on the field and I've seen him grinding out yards and single-handedly winning games through sheer force of will. I'm no OU fan but there's been more than one time when I've actually come off the couch cussing in disbelief at the kids ability to take over a game late. I hope boht guys end up somewhere that doesn't turn my stomach cuz I'll be rooting for both of them. I just think one of them is a potential ProBowler while the other is more likely to be a solid and versatile role player.

Cya

Maybe its the dementia but I cant think of any reason(s) the Bills would change anything. Maybe they'd tend to run off the edge a bit more to take advantage of Peterson's explosiveness but I think they prefer that anyways and only went away from it because of McGahee's complete and utter lack of vision. Peterson can do anything Lynch can do and in most cases can probably do it better.

He's a willing blocker, he's an OK pass-catcher although he wasn't given near as many opportunities as Lynch was in the diverse Cal offense. As for him playing hard, you've got to check this kid out when you get a chance. One of the things I like abut Lynch is how hard he plays and Peterson does not take a back seat to him in this department. He's an absolute warrior on the field and I've seen him grinding out yards and single-handedly winning games through sheer force of will. I'm no OU fan but there's been more than one time when I've actually come off the couch cussing in disbelief at the kids ability to take over a game late. I hope boht guys end up somewhere that doesn't turn my stomach cuz I'll be rooting for both of them. I just think one of them is a potential ProBowler while the other is more likely to be a solid and versatile role player.

Cya

OK. Because it's you, Simone, I take it as fact (or damn near). I just haven't seen him do the things I KNOW Lynch is willing to do and does so well.

Time to watch Ohio State get their asses kicked. (BTW, I believe if OSU plays their best, they will win. ANYTHING less, spells disaster, IMO.)

OK. Because it's you, Simone, I take it as fact (or damn near). I just haven't seen him do the things I KNOW Lynch is willing to do and does so well.
You're going to love watching him play wherever he ends up (unless its miamuh,dullas,etc).

Time to watch Ohio State get their asses kicked. (BTW, I believe if OSU plays their best, they will win. ANYTHING less, spells disaster, IMO.)

Horford and Noah are an absolute terror and I think I'm ready to put this Gator team among the Top5 college hopp squads I've ever seen. <_<