Milwaukee, Wisconsin

JoeFerguson

I have a friend who is considering a relocation to Milwaukee. Does anyone on this board have any experience with this city? Wayne and Garth had backstage passes to Alice Cooper in Milwaukee, and that's about all I know about it.

Milwaukee may well be America's most underrated city. I love that town.

I wish I could get back up there for some games at Miller Park. I haven't seen that stadium yet, but I saw a game at the old one, right after Miller Park started going up.

Beautiful lakefront, very nice downtown, terrific summer wearther, easy to get around (great freeway system), low cost of living, beer and brats out the wazoo, and the tailgating at Brewers games. And the Packers are only 2 1/2 hours away.

But, dev/null didn't mention Happy Days. :thumbsup:

and Brewers are projected to win division this season.

I wish I could get back up there for some games at Miller Park. I haven't seen that stadium yet, but I saw a game at the old one, right after Miller Park started going up.

Beautiful lakefront, very nice downtown, terrific summer wearther, easy to get around (great freeway system), low cost of living, beer and brats out the wazoo, and the tailgating at Brewers games. And the Packers are only 2 1/2 hours away.

Oh, man, how could I forget that Harley-Davidson is headquartered in Milwaukee?

The Harley-Davidson museum opens next year in their hometown.

Yet another reason to love Wisconsin's largest city.

Geez, do you work for the Milwaukee chamber of commerce? But seriously, thanks for the advice. Did you actually live there or you've just visited quite often?

I agree. Milwaukee's a great town.

But, dev/null didn't mention Happy Days. :w00t:

Is this an April Fool's joke?! :thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of Milwaukee. The downtown is a dump, the freeway system looks ugly and is a bit confusing (plus there's ALWAYS cops pulling people over), the summer is hot and humid (not ulnike WNY). The beer and brats are nice, and the lakefront is very nice as well, but I don't think I'd want to live in Mikwaukee. Appleton, on the other hand, maybe, but not Milkwaukee.

(my in-laws live in Winneconne, and my brother-in-law/sister-in-law live in Mequon, so we go there frequently).

I believe Aussie used to live there, so maybe she can give you some more info as well.

Geez, do you work for the Milwaukee chamber of commerce? But seriously, thanks for the advice. Did you actually live there or you've just visited quite often?

I've just visited...but I was very happy with the town.

Fezmid, on the other hand, was not a satisfied customer. :thumbsup:

I'm a bigger supporter of my hometown, Cleveland.

I totally agree with Mike. Milwaukee is a LOT like Buffalo (perhaps better, in some ways..please, God, don't strike down for this, I said "perhaps").

I spent a few moths there and have nothing but good things to say. Fish frys on Friday. Good cheap local bars. Good music/concerts/festivals. Overall cost of living seems to be WNY-like. The people are awesome. Nice girls (mostly blondes with big breasts, if you like that sort). and friendly, down-to-earth people.

it's close to Madison (a good college party town) and Chicago.

I'd move there in a second.

The biggest negative I can think of is the sports teams...but, what the hell. Miller Park is nice. Also, it's tough to find GREAT pizza...but, I found some pretty good Pizza in West Allis.

I forgot to mention.

<------ I think Wallace and Gromit would like Milwaukee. CHEEEESE! :thumbsup:

You just reminded me of another small negative about Brewtown. The cheese there, as a rule, SUCKS. If you're from NY or Vermont, Canada or California, you will be very disappointed in the quality of generally available cheese in the supermarkets.

Commercial Wisconsin cheese is terrible, IMO.

But...Milwaukee still rocks, IMO.

I have a friend who is considering a relocation to Milwaukee. Does anyone on this board have any experience with this city? Wayne and Garth had backstage passes to Alice Cooper in Milwaukee, and that's about all I know about it.

Yes!

Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?

Alice Cooper: Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century.

Pete: Hey, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?

Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."

Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.

I've only spent one night in Milwaukee, and I wasn't overly impressed. However, I was with another non-local so we didn't have any advice on the hotspots. I hear it's a pretty good town. Worst case scenario, if your friend doesn't like Milwaukee, Madsion is very close (which is a GREAT city) and Chicago is only about 1:15 down the shores of Lake Michigan. I toured the Miller brewery in Milwaukee which was absolutely awesome.

But, dev/null didn't mention Happy Days. :unsure:

Miller park is outstanding.

Milwaukee...great town. Wonderfull people, great baseball city, great drinking city, Harley Davidson, sausage races during the seventh inning stretch. The Pabst factory has been shut down for a while, but you can still find a dusty can in some of the bars if you ask. All-in-all, a really spectacular place to visit, and I'm sure it's a great place to live.

I hear they have a good Italian Festa during the summer.

It was ok. We went a couple of years ago. The food sucks - I think most of it was direct out of a box from your frozen food section. :lol: There was an Italian Circus there that was excellent, you get a great view of the lake, and some of the musical entertainment was fun as well.

There's a place in Sheboygan, WI (a couple hours from Milwaukee) called Legend Larry's that's supposed to have AWESOME Wings (they win contests in Buffalo). I haven't eaten there, but will in the near future. :unsure:

It was ok. We went a couple of years ago. The food sucks - I think most of it was direct out of a box from your frozen food section. :( There was an Italian Circus there that was excellent, you get a great view of the lake, and some of the musical entertainment was fun as well.

There's a place in Sheboygan, WI (a couple hours from Milwaukee) called Legend Larry's that's supposed to have AWESOME Wings (they win contests in Buffalo). I haven't eaten there, but will in the near future. :)

For my own frame of reference I need to ask you a few questions:

1) Is your wife a native of the Milwaukee area?

2) If question 2's answer is "yes", are you dumping on Milwaukee just to spite her?

3) What is your favorite Italian restaurant of all time?

4) What is Fezmid's favorite city of all time?

5) What is Fezmid's least favorite city of all time?

6) What does Fezmid like to do for fun?

For my own frame of reference I need to ask you a few questions:

1) Is your wife a native of the Milwaukee area?

2) If question 2's answer is "yes", are you dumping on Milwaukee just to spite her?

3) What is your favorite Italian restaurant of all time?

4) What is Fezmid's favorite city of all time?

5) What is Fezmid's least favorite city of all time?

6) What does Fezmid like to do for fun?

My wife's from all over eastern Wisconsin, but she doesn't like Milwaukee either.

Favorite Italian place would be my grandmother's house. :( Second favorite would be Mama Maria's in North Hudson, WI. Excellent food, great price for anyone in the Twin Cities area :) Regardless though, the food at that festival in Milwaukee sucks: It was on-par with Olive Garden.

Favorite city (for what it's worth) would be London, followed by Vancouver. However, I haven't actually been to too many cities in the US (San Diego, Twin Cities, eastern Wisconsin, and WNY would be about it; oh, and various cities in Hawaii and Alaska).

Drinking isn't on my list of fun things to do, so maybe that's why I'm not a fan of Milwaukee, since most of the posts in the thread are talking about beer :blink:

Cw