Here's an article for people that want a 2nd RB

I had to go away for a while, to watch Chevys and Fords drive around in circles which - in The Dean's home state - is called a "sport".

In would also like to know what The Dean's late uncle would have thought about trading down in the first round - I suspect the late Uncle Dean would want to see who's available at #12 before offering it up, along with his red pencil box, for more picks.

I drove to a nice beach bar and saw some live reggae. I took only left turns there and back. I played a sport today!

My uncle was pretty freakin' crazy, but even he would want to know who may, or may not, be available at #12 before parting with his prized red pencil box.

PROTECT THE RED!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only Buffalo would have drafted Thurman in the 1st....maybe we would have won a bowl.

The ONLY reason that Thurman wasn't drafted in the first round was because of a former knee injury that teams were worried about. He was not a second round talent.

Bloody git.

The ONLY reason that Thurman wasn't drafted in the first round was because of a former knee injury that teams were worried about. He was not a second round talent.

Bloody git.

We didn't REACH? :thumbsup:

No.

This was my criteria.....as I stated.

"which premium picks do not pan out for the teams selecting them"

I asked that specific question because that is the only real one that relates to us drafting a RB in round 1. Everyone assumes it will be the answer when in fact the odds of getting a successful RB for the team are very slim.

The only question mark on the list was Dunn.......when he wasn't injured he was productive. Gone after 5 years(2 1000 yards seasons)

Hearst was a bust at Arizona.......no question.

Thomas Jones was a bust at Arizona......no question.

Bo Jackson never played more than 11 games in his 4 years at the Raiders. He certainly wasn't a long term solution for them.

I don't care if we draft a RB that will be gone in 4 years & produce for the next team......ala(potentially) WM......or get injured due to the transition to the pro level......I want us to have a RB that can produce for us for a good decade.

And my point was that the problem is not the pick sometimes -- it's the team. So my issue is with your criteria. Hearst could have been a beast behind a line like Denver's. It doesn't mean that it was wrong for him to be picked in the first round; it means it was wrong for a team like Arizona to expend 1st round picks at running back when their other, more primary offensive needs like the line and system for that back were not met.

You'll never convince me that Bo Jackson was not a difference maker. I guess we just have a difference of opinion there. And you didn't prove to me that Bettis was a bust for StL (he wasn't) or that Ricky Williams was one for the Saints. For them it was a choice of offensive direction that determined that they move on via trade to other teams. I'm saying, by virtue of the fact that 50% of these are quality backs the math says that a RB is as likely as any pick to be boom or bust. And the fact that bad teams sometimes pick them and they blossom later says to me it's the team, not the pick, that's the problem -- because it's a chic move that will please impatient fans to throw in a guy perceived as being able to do a lot for a weak offense.

We saw with McGahee there's a limit to how effective that solution can be.

We also have solidified our line since his departure and RB -- if you can find one that's a prime talent like AP -- is a high need on our list. You tell me what makes more sense: drafting the next Tomlinson or the next Tommie Harris for our DT rotation? It's a tougher call than it looks but if you feel like you have the line to give that back a chance, it never looks stupid to pick a guy like LT.

........And you didn't prove to me that Bettis was a bust for StL (he wasn't) or that Ricky Williams was one for the Saints. For them it was a choice of offensive direction that determined that they move on via trade to other teams.....

I totally agree with RBs failing due to the team they are on not being good enough for them to shine through.......but that is the same with a lot of positions.

Bettis & Williams did not provide their teams with a long term solution at RB which was my point. Williams in particular would have to be considered a bust....not only for the Saints but for Miami as well. They both lost waaaay too much for what they spent on the guy.

I feel you think I'm implying things that I am not. I am not judging the RBs careers, nor am I judging the intelligence of picking them.

The crux of my point is that those who think drafting a RB(or MLB, or any position really) will provide the answer.....particularly since it's the #12 pick & a "can't miss" prospect......are simply not looking realistically at the situation.

Based on the past top 12 RBs, there is a 1 in 4 chance that any RB we select at #12 will not be with the team for more than 4 seasons producing at a high level......for whatever reason.