Fletcher overrated??.....

I know there is alot of love here for LF, and as a leader he was important. But I remember many, many times looking for the MLB to fill a yawning hole, and London either getting blocked or getting there too late. People often say that he was a tackling machine, but every defense is set up so that the MLB can flow to the ball and be a factor. He was durable, but also prone to the slightly late elbow. I respect the guy alot, especially his work ethic, but I think we'll be better there next year, not worse (Willis?). I also think that a very servicable addition at RB will be our #2 pick. Thoughts??....

I know there is alot of love here for LF, and as a leader he was important. But I remember many, many times looking for the MLB to fill a yawning hole, and London either getting blocked or getting there too late. People often say that he was a tackling machine, but every defense is set up so that the MLB can flow to the ball and be a factor. He was durable, but also prone to the slightly late elbow. I respect the guy alot, especially his work ethic, but I think we'll be better there next year, not worse (Willis?). I also think that a very servicable addition at RB will be our #2 pick. Thoughts??....

[/quote

I've always felt this way, even to the degree that the Bills would never progress until they dumped him. He was big mouth, small production, unless you actually think his tackle totals were meaningful. Hope we draft Patric Willis or David Harris.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please don't post stupid postings. Thank you for not wasting everyone's time.

Thank you.

;)

Un-necessarily cruel. As a courtesy to other board members, leave.

My thoughts are this. Our defensive tackles were horrid. They could get nearly no push on the offensive line and that allowed the offensive line to push them back and into the LB's. It also left a few lineman open to make key blocks on our LB's. Fletcher was a good LB. There should be no questioning this.

Un-necessarily cruel. As a courtesy to other board members, leave.

He is a veteran member. And you are?

Yeah I could have worded that better couldn't I have. I've never been one to care about people emotions. You spend your life worrying about that you never get anything done.

I hope that was sarcasm, but it is difficult to tell. I for one always try to tread lightly on new posters. You never know, the guy you scare away might have been the next The Dean, or even crayonz.

On second thought, maybe you were a little too easy on him. ;)

Now on a serious note Barry--Fletcher's loss will be felt, but not so much for his defensive ability as his ability to make the calls etc. We don't know that Crowell can do this, but I suspect he can. Fletcher was also an emotional leader as was Spikes. Someone will have to replace that passion.

Now...as a defense last year we were pretty pitiful so...all in all I think the moves that have been made were for the good. (with the exception of Nate, but we had no chance there)

I hope that was sarcasm, but it is difficult to tell. I for one always try to tread lightly on new posters. You never know, the guy you scare away might have been the next The Dean, or even crayonz.

On second thought, maybe you were a little too easy on him. ;)

Now on a serious note Barry--Fletcher's loss will be felt, but not so much for his defensive ability as his ability to make the calls etc. We don't know that Crowell can do this, but I suspect he can. Fletcher was also an emotional leader as was Spikes. Someone will have to replace that passion.

Now...as a defense last year we were pretty pitiful so...all in all I think the moves that have been made were for the good. (with the exception of Nate, but we had no chance there)

Not to mention the energy that Spikes brought to the game. Jeez it got me pumped up (in the stands) when he came out all fired up and ready to go.

He is a veteran member. And you are?

I love this menalilty, I've been coming to this board for 7 years but have few posts and that is why. Unless your post count is in the hundreds or thousands you simply don't rate around here.

Maybe I'll join under a different name post a thousand times about pointless things and then people will respect my posts around here too.

Not to mention the energy that Spikes brought to the game. Jeez it got me pumped up (in the stands) when he came out all fired up and ready to go.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at when I said emotion. Someone will have to step up and lead that defense, and today I just don't know who that guy will be. It doesn't have to be the best player on the field, but it does have to be someone who is respected. Mcgee can't do it. Schobel could I think, but he hasn't shown that he wants it. Could be one of our young safeties moves to the head of the pack. Kind of like how Reed has done for the Ravens.

Maybe I'll join under a different name post a thousand times about pointless things and then people will respect my posts around here too.

twas a silly thing for him to say, but I can attest that having thousands of posts doesn't guarantee 'respect'

I love this menalilty, I've been coming to this board for 7 years but have few posts and that is why. Unless your post count is in the hundreds or thousands you simply don't rate around here.

Hehe we can called you SpikedMelonade. Dont worry no one respects my posts around here either. I don't blame them thoughh I never contribute anything of any substance. Its just a place to post and hang out with people who you have stuff in common with.

I think very few get a ton of respect around this board. See this thread for a list of actual respected posters.

P.S. If you really have been coming here for 7 years, I doubt you would be trying to insult the board and its regulars.

Hehe we can called you SpikedMelonade. Dont worry no one respects my posts around here either. I don't blame them thoughh I never contribute anything of any substance. Its just a place to post and hang out with people who you have stuff in common with.

I think very few get a ton of respect around this board. See this thread for a list of actual respected posters.

P.S. If you really have been coming here for 7 years, I doubt you would be trying to insult the board and its regulars.

I HAVE been comming here for that long and I don't think I insulted anyone. It just sucks that when new people come in their posts are usually ignored or disregarded due to not having a high post count.

I am not complaining for myself because I could care less if anyone responds to my posts but when I see someones opinion put aside due to their lack of post count it just sucks.

London Fletcher is gone, and we need a replacement. He was a good player, but we'll survive and that's the end of the story. That being said with all this London Fletcher debate I have a question. Can someone define a downfield tackler for a middle linebacker? I wasn't able to see all the games last season and that alone I know I will get flamed for, but I have a couple questions.

1. I found a site that said Brian Urlacher averages 10 TFL per season, last season London had 9, what's the difference?

2. Does anyone honestly think that with DT's like we had last year, would a MLB ever really have an opportunity to attack if the O-line would be the team opening holes?

3. How often is a MLB supposed to be able to get behind the line of scrimmage when it would seem that that position is most responsible for also helping in coverage?

It's okay to be optimistic next season, and I certainly am. I think our passing game will be vastly improved and we'll actually WIN the battles in the trenches. That being said, do we really have to make an excuses for Marv for every single player we release. Anyone on the team can improve, and we can criticize anyone, but this is silly.

Maybe London was a reason our run defense wasn't good, but if so there are many players on the team who are without a doubt much worse against the run than he is.

I HAVE been comming here for that long and I don't think I insulted anyone. It just sucks that when new people come in their posts are usually ignored or disregarded due to not having a high post count.

I am not complaining for myself because I could care less if anyone responds to my posts but when I see someones opinion put aside due to their lack of post count it just sucks.

For what it's worth I didn't take any offense at your original post. I liked Fletcher but I remember him taking some bad cheap shot penalties at times, in particular a personal foul he took against the Patriots in a close game at the Ralph that gave them a first down after they failed on third and long, and which led to a touchdown.

I hated to see him go, but I think the Bills may be better off by the end of the season, and maybe even the beginning.

As for the general principle, I don't think the number of posts matters, but the content does.

I we hope are not argueing Mr. 782, becuase your cool with me. I have no desire to fight over nothing.

I'll try harder not to disrespect lack of post counts. Honestly I rarely ever pay attention to them anyways.

I we hope are not argueing Mr. 782, becuase your cool with me. I have no desire to fight over nothing.

I'll try harder not to disrespect lack of post counts. Honestly I rarely ever pay attention to them anyways.

Nah we ain't fighting in fact I feel bad that this thread has been hijacked. We're completely cool I just like standing up for the little guy sometimes.