Keith Ellison: The anti-Willis

The Dean

WOW. What a difference some intelligence and humility make. Nice read:

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2007/...u02_ellison.txt

I think this is what Marv means when he says he wants "character guys'. I've also read elsewhere that Ellison realizes he was a little light in the seat last year and wants to play this year at 230 instead of the 215-20 range folks had him in last year--hopefully it won't slow him down any. Articles like this make it easier to root for him. If Marv and Modrak can come up with a few more Ellison's, Pennington's and Kyle Williams' on Day Two this year, I think this team might have a decent future. Perhaps not this year, but I suspect that 2008 may be their real goal--if you look at our FAs coming up for renewal next year, you'll see that now that Willis is gone, we've really got everybody we need under contract into 2008.

It just seems that they try harder because there's less of that sense of entitlement.

It's also true there are no high expectations to live up to. If he's a starter this year, it will be interesting to see if he can handle the pressure. I'm rooting for him.

" Ellison’s tuition is now being covered by the Bills, even though Banker said the OSU athletic department will pay for any player to who wants to come back to school and finish his degree."

I guess I didn't know this. The Bills and The Ohio State University are class acts. Do all teams/schools do this?

" Ellison’s tuition is now being covered by the Bills, even though Banker said the OSU athletic department will pay for any player to who wants to come back to school and finish his degree."

I guess I didn't know this. The Bills and The Ohio State University are class acts. Do all teams/schools do this?

whoa! OREGON STATE!

and im assuming the article meant that since he is earning a Major League salary, the club is "paying" for it.

Many pro sports franchises pay for their athletes to complete or continue their educations. I know for a fact the Braves minor league system players can take college courses and the Braves pay for everything. Its nice to know that that some players actually take advantage of those benefits.

Yeah, it is fairly common in different sports to have education paid for (especially for minor leaguer baseball players who sign with a much longer uncertain road ahead of them).

I like Ellison, and would love to see him put some weight on and still be fast but be stronger. I still hope the TKO rumors don't end up happening, but if they do, having a guy like Ellison is going to make a big difference.

Also was and anti-Vince Young on the Wonderlic:

"Prospects who excelled include Ohio State OC Nick Mangold (35), Tulsa TE/FB Garrett Mills (35), Oregon LB Keith Ellison (36), Cal-Poly State DE Chris Gocong (36), Cornell OL Kevin Boothe (37), Virginia WR Marques Hagans (37), Stanford DT Babatunde Oshinowo (37) and Boston College OT Jeremy Trueblood (37)."

Hey Dean, I think any time a player exhibits intelligence, humility, class and commitment, we should forever refer to them as the anti-Willis.

Works for me, but there are SO many players who fit that criteria (seriously) it will get confusing. MANY players are humble and hard working. It seems the douchebags make the biggest headlines, though.

Works for me, but there are SO many players who fit that criteria (seriously) it will get confusing. MANY players are humble and hard working. It seems the douchebags make the biggest headlines, though.

Good news will never make headlines. Idiots make headlines. That's why people like Rosie, Britney and Willis are always on the front page and people like Ellison get relegated to a team's website.

Good news will never make headlines. Idiots make headlines. That's why people like Rosie, Britney and Willis are always on the front page and people like Ellison get relegated to a team's website.

Of course that's the truth. And, you know what? That's a GOOD thing.

"Why?", you may ask, as you sit scratching your sack (or your box, for our female visitors).

News focuses on the UNUSUAL. A flight landing safely is not news as it happens all the time...so, it is not reported. A store transaction where nothing is stolen, no gun is brandished, the customer gets the product he or she paid for is totally unremarkable...so it is not reported.

The good deeds and stories of charity and carrying by athletes are still common enough that the are USUAL...the norm. The time to REALLY be nervous is when those stories are so unusual they become NEWS.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4671

It's so refreshing to hear about pro athletes finishing their degree and having a plan B in their hip pocket for their post NFL careers. I can relate to this as I am trying to finish my degree. Ellison obviously has motivation involved. This should be the kind of examples that we should expose our children to as an upside to getting a good education.. This is truly the example of a good role model. :D