the mighty schilling

JAMIEBUF12

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you can start by stating accurate information

Boston's payroll is 130 million and the Yankees is at 195 million. Next year the gap should be 100 million between the two teams after the Yankees sign Beltran and more pitching.

The reason why Boston raised their payroll so high was to try and keep up with the Yankees this year. Last year the Red Sox had the 6th highest payroll in MLB.

There's a few things you can count on. Yankee fans denying that the additional payroll isn't an advantage, and Yankee fans not wanting a salary cap like the NFL.

Red Sox fans don't deny the advantage and want a cap. Yankee fans will fight it to the death.

I was listening to a local sports radio show yesterday. The host is a big BoSox fan.

He was trying to sell the audience the fact that the Yanks should go down b/c they are spending way too much money on talent and are buying up the league.

C'mon man, don't try to sell me that crap. The BoSox salary is 150 million this year. This isn't KC against the Yanks. It's the two biggest salary teams in the game going against each other.

68095[/snapback]

Maybe you can start by stating accurate information

Boston's payroll is 130 million and the Yankees is at 195 million. Next year the gap should be 100 million between the two teams after the Yankees sign Beltran and more pitching.

The reason why Boston raised their payroll so high was to try and keep up with the Yankees this year. Last year the Red Sox had the 6th highest payroll in MLB.

There's a few things you can count on. Yankee fans denying that the additional payroll isn't an advantage, and Yankee fans not wanting a salary cap like the NFL.

Red Sox fans don't deny the advantage and want a cap. Yankee fans will fight it to the death.

69006[/snapback]

i am a die hard yankee fan and i am for a salary cap.no one complained in the 80's when the yanks had high payrolls and weren't winning anything.the extra money helps,but it dosn't guarrantee a worl series win.ask the marlins,diamondbacks and angels the last 3 worls series winners.you just have to spend the money on the right players go yanks

i am a die hard yankee fan and i am for a salary cap.no one complained in the 80's when the yanks had high payrolls and weren't winning anything.the extra money helps,but it dosn't guarrantee a worl series win.ask the marlins,diamondbacks and angels the last 3 worls series winners.you just have to spend the money on the right players  go yanks

69054[/snapback]

Here's another thing you can count on. The tired MArlins, Angels argument.

Nobody said the money guarantees a World Series ring. It guarantees them the playoffs.Over a 162 game season, the payroll disparity makes the playoffs a foregone concusion. A 5 or 7 game series lowers the talent issue and sometimes a hot pitcher or player can carry a team to a series win

Show me the time ever in the 1980's or in history when the gap between the 1st and 2nd team in payroll was 40%. It doesn't exist.

THis is now the biggest competitive advantage in sports. Next year the gap will be over 100 milion dollars between the Yankees and the # 2 payroll team, yet their fans will call it all mystique and intangibles when the make the playoffs.

Forget the past. Right now the Yankees are BUYING a spot in the playoffs every year.

quote=Guest,Oct 14 2004, 05:41 AM

Forget the past. Rightt now the Yankees are BUYING a spot in the playoffs every year.

69426[/snapback]

Not a baseball fan, just an impartial observer. I think its pathetic to listen to Sox fans whine about the Yankee payroll when the Sox have the 2nd highest payroll in the league. You don't think the Sox are BUYING a spot in the playoffs every year? You can't have it both ways.

By the way, I don't watch baseball a lot so I may be off base here but it seems like the reason the Yankees are winning is because their guys are stepping up while the big money Sox guys (i.e. Schilling, Pedro) are choking. It's not like Boston is paying them minimum wage. Whiners.

RunTheBall

It's a 9 million dollar difference between the Red Sox and the #3 team the Angles.

Last year the Red Sox were # 6 in payroll. The reason they added so much in 2004 was to stay competitive with the Yankees.

The owners of the Red Sox aren't going to over the cap next year. They wil be around 120 million. The Anges, Mets and Cubs should be in the same area.

Meanwhile the Yankees will be at 220 million. You're saying the advantage the Red Sox have is the same as the Yankees?

I also acknowedge the advantage the Red Sox have and want a cap. With good decisions, the Red Sox should have a good chance of making the playoffs every year. The Yankees could lose a 1/3 of the team and would make the playoffs.

Just admit it....It's the biggest competitive advantage in sports.

Schilling is hurt BTW. That's why he didnt pitch well. Maybe you shoud watch more basebal since you're uninformed

The series isn't over either.

Forget the past. Rightt now the Yankees are BUYING a spot in the playoffs every year.

69426[/snapback]

Not a baseball fan, just an impartial observer. I think its pathetic to listen to Sox fans whine about the Yankee payroll when the Sox have the 2nd highest payroll in the league. You don't think the Sox are BUYING a spot in the playoffs every year? You can't have it both ways.

By the way, I don't watch baseball a lot so I may be off base here but it seems like the reason the Yankees are winning is because their guys are stepping up while the big money Sox guys (i.e. Schilling, Pedro) are choking. It's not like Boston is paying them minimum wage. Whiners.

RunTheBall

69429[/snapback]

Just admit it....It's the biggest competitive advantage in sports.

Schilling is hurt BTW. That's why he didnt pitch well. Maybe you shoud watch more basebal since you're uninformed

The series isn't over either.

I definitely agree that the Yankees have the biggest competitive advantage in sports. The Sox have the second biggest advantage in sports. Listening to Sox fans whine about the Yankee advantage is pathetic and the height of hypocrisy.

If Schilling was hurt, he shouldn't have been playing which is a coaching decision. So, you lost because of a poor coaching decision, not because of the 60 million payroll disparity.

I'd probably watch more baseball if there was a salary cap and some competition between teams. Watching the Yankees and Red Sox each buy their way into the playoffs every year while small market teams just act as farm teams for BOTH of them doesn't strike me as exciting.

Listening to Yankee fans chant "Who's your Daddy?" to Pedro is pretty funny though. Even you have to admit that.

RunTheBall

Blah, Blah, Blah guest.

You can't tell me that the BoSox aren't "buying" their way in to the playoffs either.

Theo Epstein is suppose to be the statomatic geek...well, if your payroll is so high you should be making the playoffs.

And I was 20 mill off....big whoop.

Another BoSox fan trying to justify to the masses why they are the poor little underdog.

I'm not buying it.

the Red Sox have made the playoffs since Theo Epstein became the GM.

The Yankees are a well run team and are lucky to be in the #1 media market so they make 150 million more in revenue than the Red Sox.

What are you going to say next year when the Yankees spend 100 million dollars more than the Red Sox?That's a bigger gap than the last team in payroll and the Red Sox.

Blah, Blah, Blah guest.

You can't tell me that the BoSox aren't "buying" their way in to the playoffs either.

Theo Epstein is suppose to be the statomatic geek...well, if your payroll is so high you should be making the playoffs.

And I was 20 mill off....big whoop.

Another BoSox fan trying to justify to the masses why they are the poor little underdog.

I'm not buying it.

69590[/snapback]

the Red Sox have made the playoffs since Theo Epstein became the GM.

The Yankees are a well run team and are lucky to be in the #1 media market so they make 150 million more in revenue than the Red Sox.

What are you going to say next year when the Yankees spend 100 million dollars more than the Red Sox?That's a bigger  gap than the last team in payroll and the Red Sox.

69595[/snapback]

But Im sure before this series started, when Las Vegas had the Red Sox FAVORED to win this series (and who knows they still might win it), Im sure you werent yapping about payroll. Heres my advice: Go to the supermarket, aisle 2, and pick up some Kleenex.

I don't feel bad for the Red Sox by any stretch of the imagination.

You guys are by far the second best....and perhaps the best depending on this series...team in the AL.

I watch a team with a 75 million payroll. Of this Smoltz is going to get 12 mill next year and if he starts he's going to get an additional 100K per start, Chip is locked for 12.5 mil next year, Hampton for 8 and Andruw for 10.

My point is, even if you don't make it to the next round you consistently get there. I don't feel bad for any team that can say this.

Now, look at the Twins who have had to build up on unreal prospects to make the run. They pretty much know going in that they aren't going to make it the next round b/c of their lack of seasoned veterans.

The Braves are to this point as well.

It's becoming a league of the haves and have nots. The have not's have to build a team up....and quite honestly I'd prefer to watch the Bravos build their teams than go out and buy up whatever is great.

Look at Beltran...everyone pretty much knows he's going to be playing CF for the Yanks next year.

But yet, KC grew this talent and are hurting now b/c of the structure of baseball.

Look at TB who has a great young ballclub but can't make the next step b/c of the payroll not only of the Yanks but also the BoSox.