Will Charlie Weiss/Romeo Crennel connection pay off for...

If Weiss gives Crennel a big thumbs up on Quinn, then that should increase the chance greatly of Peterson slipping to Buffalo. I was concerned with Houston being all over AP but with this latest transaction with Atlanta it sure does seem to indicate that they aren't too worried about their RB situation.

The Texans now employ Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Samkon Gado, Wali Lundy, undrafted free agent Chris Taylor and the eternally injured Domanick (Davis) Williams. On top of this they trade their early 2nd rder AND move back two slots in the 1st rd.

The team who could surprise is the Falcons. Their current RBs are 32 yr. old Warrick Dunn, 30 yr. old Jamal Robertson, Jerious Norwood, Butchie Wallace (whoever the hell he is), and Taurean Henderson.

There was an earlier report that the Falcons were one of four teams to inquire about RB Michael Turner, so I suppose that one could make a case that there would be reason for concern for them to also be interested in Peterson. They do need a S and this LaRon Landry would be real hard for them to pass him up. Whew!

Here's another possible scenario of competition for Peterson's services is would be another team to trade up for him. The only reasonable one that comes to mind would be Green Bay.

If Peterson were to get by Cleveland and then he was selected by Atlanta, Green Bay or even a distant Houston, then I would think that we would have to strongly consider securing Michael Turner. The only other option for us would be to just draft one in the first 3 rds.

If we were to choose the latter option of just drafting a RB, then we could either draft Lynch with the 12th pick or take one in the 2nd or 3rd rd. It seems that the attraction of Lynch is getting tainted with the latest news of him having back problems. He's starting to be too dicey of such an early pick imo. If we were to draft one with either our 2nd or 3rd rder, then it's starting to be more muddled on who would be the clearer talent/value.

Reviewing these scenarios, what would be the smartest, safest choice? I would have to say that maybe we should just ante up and secure Turner. We spent too much money on the O-Line to just keep this position so vunerable.

The only other option for us would be to just draft one in the first 3 rds.

While Turner is an interesting option, I'm of the belief that Fairchild wants a complete back. In that case, Lynch (maybe due to these back injury rumors - which sounds kinda fishy to me) or even Leonard may become viable options in the 2nd. The reason I invoke Leonard's name is that, though he's no Thurman, his versatility would be a good fit for this team - especially since next year's class will have better true HBs.

The Texans' castoffs there could factor in before the draft.

The Falcons ought to go with Landry--if available.

I think Green Bay is starting to panic. They may not want to settle for Kenny Irons in this draft, and will find a way to leapfrog Buffalo.

I think Green Bay is starting to panic. They may not want to settle for Kenny Irons in this draft, and will find a way to leapfrog Buffalo.

I always figured our safety net against the Falcons going RB was Landry...but now I am starting to think with the Archuleta move that the Redskins scoop up Landry before the Falcons. This will leave the Falcons choosing between one of the DLs (Branch, Anderson, Okoye), some of whom are slipping a little and Peterson. I do worry that they will have Peterson higher on their board and grab him.

I agree that the Texans no longer worry me as much. I think they are targetting either Levi Brown or Ted Ginn with their pick now. If gone they would probably move over to defense before grabbing Peterson.

I also agree that we might see Peterson sneak through all of the way to the 49ers and then see them trade the pick to Green Bay because the 49ers could choose any one of several defensive pieces and moving back to 16 probably doesn't hurt them all that much. I think they would like to get Carriker if they can, especially if Willis is gone (expect Willis to now go in the top 10 - possibly 4 to Bucs if Calvin Johnson is gone).

With Lynch presumably there for the Pack at 16, why the panic? Rumors not withstanding. Should they feel the need to move up I would think it's for the sole purpose of nabbing AP...IMHO.

I always figured our safety net against the Falcons going RB was Landry...but now I am starting to think with the Archuleta move that the Redskins scoop up Landry before the Falcons. This will leave the Falcons choosing between one of the DLs (Branch, Anderson, Okoye), some of whom are slipping a little and Peterson. I do worry that they will have Peterson higher on their board and grab him.

I agree that the Texans no longer worry me as much. I think they are targetting either Levi Brown or Ted Ginn with their pick now. If gone they would probably move over to defense before grabbing Peterson.

I also agree that we might see Peterson sneak through all of the way to the 49ers and then see them trade the pick to Green Bay because the 49ers could choose any one of several defensive pieces and moving back to 16 probably doesn't hurt them all that much. I think they would like to get Carriker if they can, especially if Willis is gone (expect Willis to now go in the top 10 - possibly 4 to Bucs if Calvin Johnson is gone).

If Johnson is gone I espect the Bucs to take Okoye.