My 2 round mock

I got to thinking about this last night and thought about what Marv did last year.....

I heard the reasoning behind taking Dante Whitner last year.....that if this was the player they wanted they they might as well take him and not take the chance of losing him to another team. That seemed to be the thought process in the last draft.....

Based of that I have two different scenarios....both of them predict a running back with the 1st pick

First the longshot preduction......

The sky parts, thunder crackles, the earth moves, and some how some way Adrian Peterson is not picked up by Houston. AP falls to us.....we trip over the carpet getting the card up to the commissioner

Takeo Spikes is NOT in conditioning camp which to me given the situation I consider that a very bad sign. We cannot go into next season without a quality replacement for him. We use Takeo Spikes one of our 3rd round picks, and our extra 3rd next year to trade back into the late first and take Polz. Crowell stays at OLB (even if they said they were moving him to middle) Polz takes Takeo's spot. With our 2nd round pick we take the best cover 2 corner available

2nd scenario

Peterson and Okoye both gone by 12. We take Marshawn Lynch with our first pick....after the draft Marv will talk about how Lynch was our guy all along and could not take the chance of Lynch being picked up by Green Bay.

We trade Takeo Spikes, our 3rd from next year, and one of our 3rds this year to draft back into the first round and take the best cover 2 corner prospect available in the latter part of round 1.

In the 2nd round we take David Harris....put him at ILB and keep Crowell at OLB

While the players sound nice, I am against trading up into the first round. I think using the extra 3rd as trade bait is a good idea, but I just think we give up too much (a whole extra player that could be expected to contribute right away) by moving into the first. I would prefer using that extra 3rd and a lower round pick (4 if we package baltimores pick, 5 if we use ours) to move back into the second round. That would still give us 4 first day picks.

The more I read about him, the more I like Dameion Hughs as our choice at CB. He's supposedly has good instincts, has "ballhawking" skills, and I've read over and over again that if put drafted by a cover-2 team should do very well in the NFL. Obviously mock drafts are worthless, but since it's all I have to go by....he looks to be going in the latter half of round 2.

I would be very happy to have something like this work out:

1: Peterson/Lynch/Willis

2: Harris/Best RB available

2: Hughes

3: Best DT available (Marcus Thomas?...I know, won't happen)

Basically, depending on how they have them rated, get a RB and LB with the first two picks, get into position to get Hughes, and then work on DT (or any other position they think needs attention) in the 3rd.

Basically, depending on how they have them rated, get a RB and LB with the first two picks

That is what i feel we should do in the first 2 rounds. RB is a definite need and LB is a huge question mark. I do not think CB is as pressing as a need as most assume because I have a lot of hope in Youboty. We already have a decent 3 man rotation at DT..

ok, so in the scenario where we take Puz, him and crowell plays OLB and who mans the inside?? Ellison?? I dont think so.

Also, no team in their right mind would trade out of the first for an aging player coming off of injury and two third round picks. Think about it, if your team just came off a playoff run(as a team late in the first would be), youd probobly feel ok about trading out of the round into the early 2nd to pick up a couple picks but to end up in the 3rd with nothing else to show for it this year, pick-wise, itd be proffesional suicide for a GM.

I think our best shot of making 2 first round picks this year occurs only if 1-theres some unbelievable talent marv wants to grab or 2-we trade down to between 16 and 20 and then trade back up with some of our extra picks.

Draft day is unpredictable. Its about 40 days away and the bills probobly dont even know who they are going to pick until within a few picks of their own. I dont know why i spend so much time on here debating this nonsense, I must be mentally ill.

The more I read about him, the more I like Dameion Hughs as our choice at CB. He's supposedly has good instincts, has "ballhawking" skills, and I've read over and over again that if put drafted by a cover-2 team should do very well in the NFL. Obviously mock drafts are worthless, but since it's all I have to go by....he looks to be going in the latter half of round 2.

from what i have read, Hughes had a less than stellar combine but a pretty "ok" pro day work out. i have seen him go on assorted website mock drafts anywhere from early 2nd to late 3rd.....thos kind of mock draft results remind me of Youboty.

it would pretty nice to get him in the 3rd.

i cringe everytime i see a mock draft that has the Bills taking Leon Hall at #12. :unsure:

While the players sound nice, I am against trading up into the first round. I think using the extra 3rd as trade bait is a good idea, but I just think we give up too much (a whole extra player that could be expected to contribute right away) by moving into the first. I would prefer using that extra 3rd and a lower round pick (4 if we package baltimores pick, 5 if we use ours) to move back into the second round. That would still give us 4 first day picks.

3: Best DT available (Marcus Thomas?...I know, won't happen)

Basically, depending on how they have them rated, get a RB and LB with the first two picks, get into position to get Hughes, and then work on DT (or any other position they think needs attention) in the 3rd.

Dameion Hughes ran a 4.66 in the 40. That is kind of like turtle slow for a cb.

I know, I've heard about the combine scores. Since then I have read a couple times that Hughes shouldn't be looked down on based on combine scores. As we all know, 40 times tend to mean nothing about how a prospect actually plays. And while they shouldn't be discredited all together, I think far more attention should be placed on actual game activity...which unfortunately I haven't seen any so I'm forced to trust what I read. From what I gather, Hughes combine score weren't equal to how he plays, though he isn't thought of as a fast CB...hence the thought that if he goes to a cover 2 he will excel.

Maybe those who have seen some Cal games can offer some more insight as they have with Lynch.

Here is an example of what I have read:

From ESPN chat with Steve Muench...

Glenn (Morris Plains, NJ): which is better in the NFL...athleticism or football skills. When I mean NFL, not NFL draft. I see all these great athletes getting drafted early and doing OK or not good at all and then you see these skilled guys like Tom Brady go in the 6th round. Are people now wising up and going for the football player, not just the athlete. Give me a football player like Quinn over an athlete like Russell any day of the week.

SportsNation Steve Muench: I couldn't agree more that it's football skills and it will be intersting to see where Cal DC Daymeion Hughes goes this year. he ran a terrible 40 at the combine but he can flat out play and I would love to see him go to a cover-2 team where he could really excel.

This isn't the first time I've read this type of statement on Hughes (even the specific reference to the cover 2) which is why I have started to take notice. I can't remember where else I've seen it, but if I come across it again I'll post it.

Here is an example of what I have read:

From ESPN chat with Steve Muench...

This isn't the first time I've read this type of statement on Hughes (even the specific reference to the cover 2) which is why I have started to take notice. I can't remember where else I've seen it, but if I come across it again I'll post it.

Here is his write-up from The Sporting News:

War Room analysis

Coverage skills: Consistently stays on receivers' hips in nearly all types of coverage despite lacking elite speed and explosiveness. Shows a compact and efficient backpedal, and transitions out of it quickly to close on passes in front of him in a flash. Cuts in front of receivers to make tough interceptions. Excels in most tight man-to-man situations; is most effective when keeping hands on receivers and being physical throughout routes. Reads quarterbacks well in zone coverage, closing fast to play the ball. Grade: 8.5

Run/pass recognition: Shows great instincts, a big reason for elite productivity in the pass-happy Pac-10 despite lacking elite speed and explosiveness. Does not get fooled by play-action fakes or double moves. Doesn't bite on receivers' dips and fakes in their routes. Grade: 8.5

Closing speed: Is biggest deficiency. Shows a good burst on passes in front of him but struggles to recover once losing a step in man-to-man. This will limit him from being as productive in the NFL. Grade: 6.5

Ball skills: Is outstanding; consistently breaks up passes and gets in position for interceptions. Excels with his back to the quarterback in man-to-man coverage downfield; gets head and hands turned quickly to make tough picks. Grade: 9.0

Run support: When aggressive, comes up quickly in run support to make physical tackles. Does not always work hard; sometimes can be blocked out of plays easily. Grade: 7.0

Bottom line: Hughes, also known as "Donte," has the tools to be a good NFL cornerback, and could move into the top half of the first round if able to show improved speed (run in the 4.4 range) in workouts. Hughes will start early in his NFL career and be productive. He is best suited to go to a team that plays the Tampa-2 style of defense where the cornerbacks get coverage help downfield and can focus on playing passes in front of them.

anquan bolden ran a 4.7, Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.45, of the two many consider Boldin to be faster. Also, TO ran a 4.65, nobody considers him slow. I believe our own terrance mcgee ran a 4.6, we know he's not slow. Jerry Rice: 4.6. Brett Perriman ran a 4.2-. Football speed and track speed are two totally different things. Rarely do football players ever run 40 yards in a straight line from a dead stop.

Here is his write-up from The Sporting News: cornerbacks get coverage help downfield and can focus on playing passes in front of them.

I hadn't read that one yet, thanks. And that's exactly what I was talking about. The guy sounds perfect. (for a second round pick)

I hadn't read that one yet, thanks. And that's exactly what I was talking about. The guy sounds perfect. (for a second round pick)

He may even go in the third, hes one of hte biggest wildcards of the draft.

Its funny that a guy like antonio cromartie who proved absolutely nothing in college other than he is an athletic freak and loves to get injured got drafted at pick 19 while a guy like Hughes could slip so far because of a workout. Its ridiculous.

anquan bolden ran a 4.7, Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.45, of the two many consider Boldin to be faster. Also, TO ran a 4.65, nobody considers him slow. I believe our own terrance mcgee ran a 4.6, we know he's not slow. Jerry Rice: 4.6. Brett Perriman ran a 4.2-. Football speed and track speed are two totally different things. Rarely do football players ever run 40 yards in a straight line from a dead stop.

No, but the abilities that allow you to run that 40 time well matter to your football speed (although not an exact correlation), and matter more to a corner than anybody, because he has to be able to keep up or he is in trouble. You mentioned a lot of WRs in your list. A WR doesn't need to be as fast as the CB. He can run routes and get open. But a CB has to keep up with the receiver he is covering, and 4.6 ability can indicate a problem (but a 4.6 combine time does not indicate 4.6 ability).

As for the mock, I don't like how quickly TKO is getting dumped. He might be done, but I still doubt it. Year 2 is the important year for an Achilles recovery, and he might get closer to his old self than people are expecting, and even if not he can be pretty good. I like Peterson/Willis/Okoye at #12, and really hope we don't get too caught up on individual position need, but get the best player available at one of our four positions that could use some help. I don't think Hall is as good a DB as Peterson is a RB or Willis is a LB or Okoye is a DT, or I would have included him as well. Trading up again to the low first could be completely fine if we find the right player and the right deal. If we don't get Peterson (or Lynch) with our first pick, we probably should look carefully at the best RB available at #44 and take him unless there is another position clearly better. We should still maintain flexibility. I would like to come out of day 1 with a LB, a DT, a CB, and a RB, but the exact order they come in, and if we leave one out until day two depends on what other teams do, and not a blue print heading in.

Its interesting that John from Hemet sees it as a bad sign that TKO is not in conditioning camp (ie may be) but my sense of TKOs work and workout last offseason was that he actually worked too hard as he was committed to being in the opening line-up.

TKO did work extremely hard and some of his workouts shown on the Bills Access show really struck me as amazing for a fellow who had torn his Achilles Tendon,

Darn if TKO did not appear in the starting line-up in game 1 and promptly sacked Brady leading to a fumble and TD by Fletch.

However, darn if he did not quickly strain his hammy and suffered an injury which he did not fully heal from all season.

TKO could be sitting out conditioning camp because he is done as a Bill.

However, he could be sitting out camp because of some nagging but shot-term twinge that has led him to scale back his efforts and he can comeback when camp really starts.

However, he also may have gotten much smarter about his rehab after being a little too maniac last off-season and he is pursuing a reasonable approach for an athlete around 30 which is to work out judiciously and consistently during the off-season and give your body a break from maniacal conditioning which occurs in the off-season camps.

He may even go in the third, hes one of hte biggest wildcards of the draft.

Its funny that a guy like antonio cromartie who proved absolutely nothing in college other than he is an athletic freak and loves to get injured got drafted at pick 19 while a guy like Hughes could slip so far because of a workout. Its ridiculous.

Hughes could slide to the third round. It happens every year with good players. One thing to keep in mind is that Hughes skill set is best suited for a cover 2 defense, so teams not employing the cover 2 would most likely shy away from drafting a CB like Hughes.

Here is where TSN's has Hughes going:

15 (47) Packers Daymeion Hughes CB Cal

The Packers would be quite lucky if Hughes falls to No. 47. Hughes did not run well at the Combine but did redeem himself at his on-campus workout Tuesday.

Team needs: WR | RB | CB | TE | S