Vilma Question

I know this is kind of a long shot but hows this for a possible trade scenario for a very good young LB:

We send our 3rd and trade 1st rounders with the Jets to grab Vilma. We can fill a very big need in the middle w/out having to shift Crowell over. This entitles us to get rid of Spikes if we do not like what we see from him at the start of camp. Although I like TKO and want him to be a Bill, if it ain't in the cards so be it. Plus he is owed a pretty good chunk. That means we would have the 25th pick which we can still grab a guy like Revis, Harrell, Meachem or Bowe. What I am saying is there would be good talent there. In the 2nd we grab a RB.

I know it seems off-kilter but what on this site isn't. :unsure: Let me know what you experts think.

Below is from ESPN rumors

Vilma would draw interest: Jonathan Vilma continues to insist that he isn't unhappy playing in a 3-4 defense, and the New York Jets continue to contend that the three-year veteran inside linebacker is not available in a trade. But if the Jets did want to improve their standing in the first round of the draft, or collect extra picks, Vilma is definitely a guy they could use for trade bait. There are a lot of teams that have inquired about Vilma, viewed more as a pure middle linebacker in a 4-3 front, and have been rebuffed by Jets officials. The former University of Miami standout is clearly a defender in demand and if general manager Mike Tannenbaum ever decided to deal him, he would have plenty of potential trade partners.

I know this is kind of a long shot but hows this for a possible trade scenario for a very good young LB:

We send our 3rd and trade 1st rounders with the Jets to grab Vilma. We can fill a very big need in the middle w/out having to shift Crowell over. This entitles us to get rid of Spikes if we do not like what we see from him at the start of camp. Although I like TKO and want him to be a Bill, if it ain't in the cards so be it. Plus he is owed a pretty good chunk. That means we would have the 25th pick which we can still grab a guy like Revis, Harrell, Meachem or Bowe. What I am saying is there would be good talent there. In the 2nd we grab a RB.

I know it seems off-kilter but what on this site isn't. :unsure: Let me know what you experts think.

Below is from ESPN rumors

Vilma would draw interest: Jonathan Vilma continues to insist that he isn't unhappy playing in a 3-4 defense, and the New York Jets continue to contend that the three-year veteran inside linebacker is not available in a trade. But if the Jets did want to improve their standing in the first round of the draft, or collect extra picks, Vilma is definitely a guy they could use for trade bait. There are a lot of teams that have inquired about Vilma, viewed more as a pure middle linebacker in a 4-3 front, and have been rebuffed by Jets officials. The former University of Miami standout is clearly a defender in demand and if general manager Mike Tannenbaum ever decided to deal him, he would have plenty of potential trade partners.

Basically a 3rd round pick for Vilma. Not sure the Jets would take that and trade to a division rival.

Why again do the Jets want to trade him?

I guess he wants out of the 3-4. The "Mangenuis'" D also makes LBs play all over the place. So, he can't just sit in the middle and pad his tackle stats.

The guy is still pretty young and played in a system that he was not comfortable with at all. The reason Willis does well against the Jets is that there front 4 blow. Vilma is a very good player who deserves some consideration. We would be trading 13 spots for this guy. Someone who knows the formula points can pretty much add it up and see what the differnece is. I have no idea how it works but trading 13 spots ang giving a 3rd is pretty damn good or maybe even our second. Wheres Astrobot when you need him.

Why again do the Jets want to trade him?

They dont want to trade him, he wants out of there system and I do not believe Mangino will change his scheme for just him. All I am suggesting is that with all the moves the Pats are making we need to step up and grab a player that can help out our defense. I am glad they focused on the OL but we cant get all the answers in the draft.

They dont want to trade him, he wants out of there system and I do not believe Mangino will change his scheme for just him. All I am suggesting is that with all the moves the Pats are making we need to step up and grab a player that can help out our defense. I am glad they focused on the OL but we cant get all the answers in the draft.

I do agree we need to step up and sign some players, there are some interesting people on the trade market, but free agency is and was very weak this year.

I'd be good with that Vilma deal. The Jet's won't be, but I am.

You take Vilma instead of Willis in RD#1, take the best of the #25 guys (likely Houston, Ross, Meachem, Ginn or Timmons),

take Hunt at RB a little early in RD#2,

get Marcus Thomas at DT in RD#3,

Quincy Black at OLB in RD#4,

Matt Trannon at WR in RD#6,

Germaine Race, RB in RD#7A, and

Uche Nwaneri OG in RD#7B.

I'd be good with that Vilma deal. The Jet's won't be, but I am.

You take Vilma instead of Willis in RD#1, take the best of the #25 guys (likely Houston, Ross, Meachem, Ginn or Timmons),

take Hunt at RB a little early in RD#2,

get Marcus Thomas at DT in RD#3,

Quincy Black at OLB in RD#4,

Matt Trannon at WR in RD#6,

Germaine Race, RB in RD#7A, and

Uche Nwaneri OG in RD#7B.

I would be very content with that draft.