Got into UB.

BoondckCL

I was gonna say UGA. Those Georgia girls are mighty fine.

UGA were being dick heads in the process of applying. Also they were saying that due to the fall in school stature they were being "extremely selective" as to what credits they were going to accept in transfer. Thus I would have lost A's in my Vietnam War class as well as my terrorism class.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heartily disagree. Unless you're a dumbass and really NEED to study non-stop, college is a time for having fun and learning how to interact with people. Classes aren't that difficult. Take in everything. Despite what you may hear to the contrary, it's ok to miss a class every now and then because you're still reeling from last night's bender.

Hell yes. Can't stress this enough.

UGA were being dick heads in the process of applying. Also they were saying that due to the fall in school stature they were being "extremely selective" as to what credits they were going to accept in transfer. Thus I would have lost A's in my Vietnam War class as well as my terrorism class.

In other words, you took basketweaving.

Got it.

Was notified this morning via mail. Holding out for better, but definately a step in the right direction.

Good school, but hopefully with any luck the University of South Carolina, NC State, or Tennessee accept me as a transfer. If I do go to UB it looks like Bills season tickets are in the mix.

Well, good work Young Man!

One of my daughters was accepted there, but she chose to stay home and go to Stony Brook. I think that she saw images of waking up and seeing me crashing there on Sundays, before going to RWS.

My oldest daughter is taking the LSAT on 6/11. I am hoping she goes to UB Law, but it is a longshot.

Best wishes, and knock 'em dead!!!

In other words, you took basketweaving.

Got it.

Droz: What's Your major?

Student: Sanskrit

Droz: Sanskrit. You are majoring in a 5000 year old dead language?

Student: Yeah

Droz: Get out of here. Seriously, get the @#$% out.

I sense sarcasm.

I don't really want to tell you what to do, because it seems like your mind is already made up, but I will offer you this advice based on my own personal experience. I have attended classes at several colleges and universities in many different geographical settings. I took classes at Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, PA, received my BS from Canisius College, did a semester of grad school at Vanderbilt and currently I'm trying to finish my Ph.D. at UB, so obviously I'm a little biased.

Don't discount a school until you actually visit the place and talk to the students. Also, it's really important to base your decision on the program that you're interested. When I was trying to decide where I wanted to go to grad school my parents were in the process of moving to Nashville. I visited Vanderbilt and really was impressed with the campus, facilities, and the overall fun-factor associated with Nashville. I chose Vanderbilt over UB because, like you I wanted to be down South in the land of milk and honey. To make a long story short, I had a great time in Nashville but found that there weren't really any research groups at Vandy that really interested me. I ended up transferring to UB the next semester and haven't looked back.

When I was at Canisius I had the same attitude you do about UB, that it was just your average public school for the masses and that anybody can get accepted, blah, blah, blah. Ultimately what I've realized during my time here is that college is all about what you put into it. I have been a TA for the four years I've been here, so I've encountered a lot of students and I think for the most part it's a pretty good group. Yes, there are your fair share of idiots, but there are also quite a few really intelligent undergraduates.

As a side note, the attitude that the undergraduates at Vanderbilt had regarding students attending University of Tennessee was much the same as the attitude that Jesus H. Christ has for UB.

I know the rest of the replies in this thread are all just witty one-liners about how college is just one big party and you should only go to get laid, so I apologize if I ruined somebody's party with my preachy post. In response to those guys who are saying that: if you're majoring in science or engineering I don't really think you can have the party all the time attitude, unless you are a Good Will Hunting-esque super genius.

Good luck with your decision and pending acceptance letters.

I don't really want to tell you what to do, because it seems like your mind is already made up, but I will offer you this advice based on my own personal experience. I have attended classes at several colleges and universities in many different geographical settings. I took classes at Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, PA, received my BS from Canisius College, did a semester of grad school at Vanderbilt and currently I'm trying to finish my Ph.D. at UB, so obviously I'm a little biased.

Don't discount a school until you actually visit the place and talk to the students. Also, it's really important to base your decision on the program that you're interested. When I was trying to decide where I wanted to go to grad school my parents were in the process of moving to Nashville. I visited Vanderbilt and really was impressed with the campus and the facilities. I chose Vanderbilt over UB because, like you I wanted to be down South in the land of milk and honey. To make a long story short, I had a great time in Nashville but found that there weren't really any research groups at Vandy that really interested me. I ended up transferring to UB the next semester and haven't looked back.

When I was at Canisius I had the same attitude you do about UB, that it was just your average public school for the masses and that anybody can get accepted, blah, blah, blah. Ultimately what I've realized during my time here is that college is all about what you put into it. I have been a TA for the four years I've been here, so I've encountered a lot of students and I think for the most part it's a pretty good group. Yes, there are your fair share of idiots, but there are also quite a few really intelligent undergraduates.

As a side note, the attitude that the undergraduates at Vanderbilt had regarding students attending University of Tennessee was much the same as the attitude that Jesus H. Christ has for UB.

I know the rest of the replies in this thread are all just witty one-liners about how college is just one big party and you should only go to get laid, so I apologize if I ruined somebody's party with my preachy post. In response to those guys who are saying that: if you're majoring in science or engineering I don't really think you can have the party all the time attitude, unless you are a Good Will Hunting-esque super genius.

Good luck with your decision and pending acceptance letters.

Extremely understandable and i appreciate the insight. Really a college student needs all they can get these days with all the smoke that's blown up your ass with requirements and your other run of the mill bull sh--.

I was actually thinking about taking a trip to UB this week to check out the campus and scene, since i will be out at St. Bonaventure for the majority of the week.

UB has always been high on my list because i have plenty of family out there including an Uncle who does research at University of Buffalo. I am leaning more towards UB because everybody that i have discussed the topic with has nothing but high praise for the university as a whole.

I thank you for your advice and commend you on your your work in your education thus far. Your words have been marked (and i am taking them to the bank).

Extremely understandable and i appreciate the insight. Really a college student needs all they can get these days with all the smoke that's blown up your ass with requirements and your other run of the mill bull sh--.

I was actually thinking about taking a trip to UB this week to check out the campus and scene, since i will be out at St. Bonaventure for the majority of the week.

UB has always been high on my list because i have plenty of family out there including an Uncle who does research at University of Buffalo. I am leaning more towards UB because everybody that i have discussed the topic with has nothing but high praise for the university as a whole.

I thank you for your advice and commend you on your your work in your education thus far. Your words have been marked (and i am taking them to the bank).

To be frank, no one gives a sh-- what you've done in college when you're 30.

All they care about is your work history and credit score.

Pick up this month's US News and you'll see what I mean.

To be frank, no one gives a sh-- what you've done in college when you're 30.

All they care about is your work history and credit score.

Pick up this month's US News and you'll see what I mean.

My credit score is flawless and my work history is impecible. College is just a piece of the puzzle.

Have you decided on your major?

My credit score is flawless and my work history is impecible. College is just a piece of the puzzle.

Don't get me wrong. College will get you into some places, no doubt. But unless you're talking Master's work, Phd/MD/JD/whatever or a job in education, you can get by with a whole lot less.

And weren't you the one that got arrested for knocking over a minimart or some other thing?

Don't get me wrong. College will get you into some places, no doubt. But unless you're talking Master's work, Phd/MD/JD/whatever or a job in education, you can get by with a whole lot less.

And weren't you the one that got arrested for knocking over a minimart or some other thing?

Nope, different guy. But I was in trouble this weekend for different things, nothing serious though.

Nope, different guy. But I was in trouble this weekend for different things, nothing serious though.

Personally, I wish I'd gone to tech when I was in high school, for electrician training. Or plumbing. A hell of a lot more job security and money potential with HALF the headache.

Have you decided on your major?

Well there are two possibilities. One is history because it really opens up the spectrum as to what i could do. The other was criminal justice because i see myself in ten years working for the Drug Enforcement Administration.

I was planning on history just for the simple fact that it gives me a number of different directions to move, if i wanted to i could teach it or get into law school. The one thing that i was thinking about was graduating from UB and joining the army, thus helping with a couple of areas of life, including helping me get accepted into the DEA.

Just a few thoughts, nothing concrete.

Well there are two possibilities. One is history because it really opens up the spectrum as to what i could do. The other was criminal justice because i see myself in ten years working for the Drug Enforcement Administration.

I was planning on history just for the simple fact that it gives me a number of different directions to move, if i wanted to i could teach it or get into law school. The one thing that i was thinking about was graduating from UB and joining the army, thus helping with a couple of areas of life, including helping me get accepted into the DEA.

Just a few thoughts, nothing concrete.

The DEA?

BOO!

:w00t:

Personally, I wish I'd gone to tech when I was in high school, for electrician training. Or plumbing. A hell of a lot more job security and money potential with HALF the headache.

I was a plumber for a while, definately not easy work, but i do see what you are saying.