Tampering?

Bflojohn

The report as I understand it is that the Bucs basically told DE Charles Grant that IF he was a free agent in '08, they'd be highly interested in signing him. My question would be that this smacks of circumvention of the intended rules concerning free agents. Tecnically, he is franchised and solely "contracted" to the New Orleans Saints via that tag. Seeing that he now knows that a division rival would hypothetically "push" the market higher, wouldn't his agent have an unfair advantage in negotiations? I don't think I'd be happy if the Jets, Patriots, or Dolphins did this to one of our "franchised" players. Just wondering? Any thoughts?!

I think the point has been lost.... this is a case of observing the letter of the "law", so to speak, as opposed to finding a way (loophole) around it! First and foremost, the Bucs admitted to NOT wanting to sign him this year JimBob2232, and the point about the "tag" Rocceo is that exclusive rights ( or non-exclusive) are establish for said player. I'm NOT saying he is Saints property lock stock and barrel, but he is awfully close due to the rules as they apply to the franchise tag. Think of it this way, why in heck do the Buccaneers have the right to position themselves ahead of any other team in regards to free agency next year? This is tampering, plain and simple in my book! Blaze away!!!

I think the point has been lost.... this is a case of observing the letter of the "law", so to speak, as opposed to finding a way (loophole) around it! First and foremost, the Bucs admitted to NOT wanting to sign him this year JimBob2232, and the point about the "tag" Rocceo is that exclusive rights ( or non-exclusive) are establish for said player. I'm NOT saying he is Saints property lock stock and barrel, but he is awfully close due to the rules as they apply to the franchise tag. Think of it this way, why in heck do the Buccaneers have the right to position themselves ahead of any other team in regards to free agency next year? This is tampering, plain and simple in my book! Blaze away!!!

As long as he is not an exclusive rights franchise player, he is a free agent, free to negotiate with any team. Since he is not under contract and is free to negotiate, negotiation can include any discussion-this year, next year, whatever-it doesn't matter what they talk about. What if current Tampa management promises him the moon for 2008 and they all get fired? Then the moon is gone.

You can't tamper with a free agent. Tampering with a free agent is an oxymoron.

Now, there is a loophole that should be closed. Teams can put poison pills into contracts (like Indy did with Wolford years ago) and the NFL has never closed these loopholes. Just this season, NE put a clause in making all of Welker's contract guaranteed if he plays Z amount of games in the state of Florida. How can the NFL continue to let these poison pills into contracts? Heck, a team like Miami can sign a Bill with a clause that if it snows during a home game his salary triples & is guaranteed. These geographic clauses should be illegal-no ifs, ands or buts.

Who in the NFL observes the letter of the law, name me one team :thumbsup::lol::beer:

The report as I understand it is that the Bucs basically told DE Charles Grant that IF he was a free agent in '08, they'd be highly interested in signing him. My question would be that this smacks of circumvention of the intended rules concerning free agents. Tecnically, he is franchised and solely "contracted" to the New Orleans Saints via that tag. Seeing that he now knows that a division rival would hypothetically "push" the market higher, wouldn't his agent have an unfair advantage in negotiations? I don't think I'd be happy if the Jets, Patriots, or Dolphins did this to one of our "franchised" players. Just wondering? Any thoughts?!

I believe you're right, this would seem to constitute tampering. But do you actually think they'll do anything about it? No way in hell will anything come of the alleged Wes Welker incident, either. The league would never punish its fellatio partner up in New England.