Roger Waters coming to Darien Lake July 13

If your not familiar with who he is, he was the co-founder of pink floyd. I wonder what he's going to play.

If it's the same show he did at the Hollywood Bowl in the fall it will be a mix of solo stuff and Floyd stuff. Second set is the Dark Side of the Moon from start to finish. Good show, but a bit too political for my taste.

If it's the same show he did at the Hollywood Bowl in the fall it will be a mix of solo stuff and Floyd stuff. Second set is the Dark Side of the Moon from start to finish. Good show, but a bit too political for my taste.

What he said.

Saw the show last summer. Great artist, show, band...you won't be disappointed. It's been a while since he last came around. Who knows if you will see him again.

I know, but in my opinion i think its wierd to see a bassist as a solo artist, any bassist. But the only one I wouldn't mind seeing is sir paul mccartney

It's not as though he is just a bass player. He is also a singer, and did most of Floyd's vocal work as well as being their primary songwriter prior to his departure.

I would love to see the show, but y wedding is the next day. :D

It's not as though he is just a bass player. He is also a singer, and did most of Floyd's vocal work as well as being their primary songwriter prior to his departure.

I would love to see the show, but y wedding is the next day. :D

Actually, he did not do most of Floyd's vocal work - Gilmour did. It was not until Waters became a meglomaniac did he exclude other members from the creative side - this started with Animals (not so much) and really came to fruition with The Wall. The Final Cut was really a Waters' solo album. Waters did write most of the lyrics for all their albums - post syd.

However, I will be going to the show because I love all Floyd.

Also, to the guy who can't think of a basist as a solo guy - how about Sting? He did ok for himself.

Actually, he did not do most of Floyd's vocal work - Gilmour did. It was not until Waters became a meglomaniac did he exclude other members from the creative side - this started with Animals (not so much) and really came to fruition with The Wall. The Final Cut was really a Waters' solo album. Waters did write most of the lyrics for all their albums - post syd.

Also, to the guy who can't think of a basist as a solo guy - how about Sting? He did ok for himself.

We began to leave the show after the Dark Side set, figuring how can they top that. But they came back out to do some encores and they played a couple of tunes from the Wall, my least favorite Floyd album due to what you mentioned above regarding Waters. Seeing the show was outside it was nice to listen to the music while we made it to our car to an assumed quick exit from the Bowl. When we got to my car we noticed in the lot they park cars like a car dealer, all that was missing was those colored triangular flags. We couldn't get out, we were boxed in......WTF!! No worries, found the nearest bar and waited it out with beers and shots.

True, but since my favorite Floyd albums are Animals and The Wall, I consider Rog as the definative Floyd vocalist.

I've always had a fairly low opinion of Dark Side. (Low with respect to their other albums)

We began to leave the show after the Dark Side set, figuring how can they top that. But they came back out to do some encores and they played a couple of tunes from the Wall, my least favorite Floyd album due to what you mentioned above regarding Waters. Seeing the show was outside it was nice to listen to the music while we made it to our car to an assumed quick exit from the Bowl. When we got to my car we noticed in the lot they park cars like a car dealer, all that was missing was those colored triangular flags. We couldn't get out, we were boxed in......WTF!! No worries, found the nearest bar and waited it out with beers and shots.

What bar did you go to? Luckily Im walking distance from the Bowl.

True, but since my favorite Floyd albums are Animals and The Wall, I consider Rog as the definative Floyd vocalist.

I've always had a fairly low opinion of Dark Side. (Low with respect to their other albums)

Their best Post-Syd albums are MEddle, Obscured by Clouds, and Wish You Were Here. Gilmour often states that Wish You Were Here is the one albulm where everyone in the band contributed and Roger's meglomania was checked. You will notice that Animals, The Wall, and especially the Final Cut are increasingly uninteresting from a musical standpoint. That has to do with Roger pushing Gilmour away from the creative end.

What Waters never realized (even to this day) is that while he is one of the best lyricists in modern music (i put him up there with Dylan and Springsteen) he needs someone like Gilmour to write the music.

Gilmour is a waaaay better singer. Even now, he sounds great on his "on an island" cd/

And Gilmour is much better musician.

The frettless bass solo in "hey you" is actually Glimour playing it, not Roger.

He couldn't do it.

Not only does Gilmour rock on guitar (one of the best) but he can play keyboards, sing, and even play some saxaphone.

Waters gifts has always been with the lyrics.

Gilmour is a waaaay better singer. Even now, he sounds great on his "on an island" cd/

And Gilmour is much better musician.

The frettless bass solo in "hey you" is actually Glimour playing it, not Roger.

He couldn't do it.

Not only does Gilmour rock on guitar (one of the best) but he can play keyboards, sing, and even play some saxaphone.

Waters gifts has always been with the lyrics.

Exactly. Also, on Wish You Were Here, Roger was to be the lead vocal on "HAve a Cigar" but he could not handle it. In a foreshadowing of his meglomania he insisted that David not handle the vocals and he brought in the lead singer of Floyd's former rival, the Soft Machine to sing it. Gilmour has said one of his biggest regrets in Floyd was letting Roger have his way on that one. Gilmour subbed in for Roger on many bass parts. Waters was (and is) a below average bass player.

The "On an Island" CD is great!!

You will notice that Animals, The Wall, and especially the Final Cut are increasingly uninteresting from a musical standpoint.

Ummm... no. I will not notice that. I don't think I could seriously consider the Wall to be uninteresting from a musical standpoint.

It's all a matter of opinion, but being a musician, I can't really think of anything to support that notion.

Ummm... no. I will not notice that. I don't think I could seriously consider the Wall to be uninteresting from a musical standpoint.

It's all a matter of opinion, but being a musician, I can't really think of anything to support that notion.

My statement was relative. The Wall is not as interesting from a musical point of view as is WIsh You Were HEre or Dark Side. Hell, Dark Side has one of the most interesting modern songs, "Money" with two different time signatures. THe bass is playing 7:4 time while the sax and guitar is playing 4:4. The song also alternates time signatures. This is far more interesting than "Another Brink in the Wall."

Don't get me wrong, The Wall has some great musical moments. Comfortably Numb which was written by Gilmour, if very interesting as "Is there anybody out there?"

here are ticket pricesLEVEL 300 IN RESERVED SECTIONS

US $131.00

LEVEL 200 IN RESERVED SECTIONS

US $131.00

LEVEL 100 IN RESERVED SECTIONS

US $131.00

LEVEL 400 IN RESERVED SECTIONS

US $95.00

LEVEL 500 IN RESERVED SECTIONS

US $29.50 - US $55.00

LAWN SEATING

US $29.50

tickets go on sale next saturday at 10:00AM

My statement was relative. The Wall is not as interesting from a musical point of view as is WIsh You Were HEre or Dark Side. Hell, Dark Side has one of the most interesting modern songs, "Money" with two different time signatures. THe bass is playing 7:4 time while the sax and guitar is playing 4:4. The song also alternates time signatures. This is far more interesting than "Another Brink in the Wall."

By that logic, then Fates Warning must be the most interesting band in the universe. :worthy:

I used to play with a drummer who insisted on doing everything in oddball time signatures. Difficult, yes. Interesting, not always. But I'm not going to get into that too much with you , as I always thought "Money" was a decent song.

Don't get me wrong, The Wall has some great musical moments. Comfortably Numb which was written by Gilmour, if very interesting as "Is there anybody out there?"

You honestly think that "Is there anybody out there" and "Comfortably numb" are amongst the most "interesting" tracks on the wall? Don't get me wrong, I love comfortably numb and have done a cover of it in just about every non-tribute band I've ever been in. But to cite it as one of the more musically interesting tunes on that album is a bit of a stretch. "Is there anybody out there" is just filler if you ask me.

The interesting tracks from a musical standpoint on that record are ones like "In the flesh", "Goodbye blue sky", "Run like hell", "Waiting for the worms" and possibly most notably, "The trial".

For me, Floyd was never the same once Waters left. He on his own was decent (Amused to Death is a great album, Radio KAOS, not so much) and the Momentary Lapse/Division Bell incarnation of Floyd was a little too bland without Waters sense of the theatrical. Again, for me the sweet spot was the Animals/Wall era.

Exactly. Also, on Wish You Were Here, Roger was to be the lead vocal on "HAve a Cigar" but he could not handle it. In a foreshadowing of his meglomania he insisted that David not handle the vocals and he brought in the lead singer of Floyd's former rival, the Soft Machine to sing it. Gilmour has said one of his biggest regrets in Floyd was letting Roger have his way on that one. Gilmour subbed in for Roger on many bass parts. Waters was (and is) a below average bass player.

The "On an Island" CD is great!!

On the tour I saw him on (Waters) he was accused of lip syncing. I noticed a couple of times during the show (we had really crappy seats) it appeared he was.

On the tour I saw him on (Waters) he was accused of lip syncing. I noticed a couple of times during the show (we had really crappy seats) it appeared he was.

Urban legend...if you like, I can post the links countering this. These sort of accusations go back to the "In The Flesh" tour. Mostly due to newbies unfamiliar with the tape effects that Floyd and Waters have been using since the beginning.

Also, to rebut a bit of the dirge that has been suggested by others in this thread that Waters is musically inept and an average bass player are really ludicrous. Obviously, Gilmour is an outstanding guitarist and Waters is better with the talented Gilmour than without him. Waters sang a bunch of early Floyd after Syd. There's "If", "Free Four", "San Tropez", "Green Is The Color", etc. and he sang all the vocals (as many as there were) on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" on WYWH. After Syd, Wright sang an equal amount to Gilmour of early Floyd tunes.

Clapton (Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking) and Jeff Beck (Amused to Death) working with Waters on his solo efforts just shows how highly regarded he is. And both knew how difficult it was to work with him.

Also, if you have not seen it, check out VH1s Classic Albums "Dark Side of the Moon" and watch Waters play a bluesy version of his original track for Money.