Our next starting cornerback?

Bagel

The player is described as follows:

5'11", 189, 4.43, Excellent college football program, Scout grade of 90 (Behind Leon Hall (95) and Darrelle Revis (91), tied with Aaron Ross)

Strengths: Possesses ideal height, adequate bulk and the frame to get bigger. Is a smooth and fluid athlete for his size. Possesses good top-end speed. He has long arms and good leaping ability to challenge for the ball in the air. He is intelligent and should be able to learn from his mistakes. He plays aggressively in run support. Fills hard, takes decent angles and has developed into a solid open field tackler. Shows playmaking instincts when the ball is in the air and he has outstanding ball skills. He has experience returning punts and shows NFL upside in that capacity.

Weaknesses: Recognition skills are below average. Remains too inconsistent in coverage. Gambles too often and will give up too many big plays consequently. He gives away his tendencies and got burnt for it on several occasions as a junior (see Minnesota and Texas games). Lacks ideal bulk and strength. Will have some more trouble taking on bigger blockers and taking down bigger runners in the NFL.

Overall: He played as a reserve defensive back in all 13 games of his true freshman season. He started nine of the 12 games that he played as a sophomore and finished with 61 tackles, four interceptions and 14 passes broken up. He started all 12 games as a junior and finished with 56 tackles, six TFL, one sack, one interception and nine PBU. He is an early entry prospect with loads of upside but also lots of room to improve. He possesses an outstanding combination of size, athletic ability and speed, and he also flashes playmaking skills as a man-to-man cover corner. However, he is inconsistent in terms of his technique and recognition skills in coverage, which leads to entirely too many big plays allowed on his watch. In short, he is by no means a finished product but he has the potential to develop into a shutdown cover corner in the NFL, which is why he could come off the draft board late in the first round.

This is last year’s pre-draft profile of Ashton Youboty. Presumably, his two greatest deficiencies (1) inconsistent technique and (2) lack of bulk have been somewhat addressed in his first year with the Bills. Perhaps our hole at cornerback is not as deep as some fear.

It is very interesting that he was rated a 90. Alot of people talk about drafting a CB in the first round but if this description is right then I dont think that we need to draft a starting CB. He should of developed a lot in the past year and while I doubt he is ready to start and he will make some mistakes, I think he can be good enough to be a starting corner in this league and a very good one at that.

It is very interesting that he was rated a 90. Alot of people talk about drafting a CB in the first round but if this description is right then I dont think that we need to draft a starting CB. He should of developed a lot in the past year and while I doubt he is ready to start and he will make some mistakes, I think he can be good enough to be a starting corner in this league and a very good one at that.

xjumpx,

Other than pulling Ashton's name, OSU and certain dates, this was taken word-for-word from the Scout Inc. review. I believe that Scout Inc. is a relatively credible draft rag.

Ashton's grade placed him in the first round of last year's draft and would place him in the first round of this year's draft.

Ha! I was just going to post something of this variety. In last year's ESPN the Magazine's Pre-Draft issue, AY was projected as a late 1st rounder. The current NFL player that they compared him to was ... drum roll please ...

Nate Clements.

Of course, all of that means nothing until he steps on the field and faces an opponent's top WR.

I am not that impressed with Hall anyway. I watched Michigan play a few times this year and watched him get beat on several occasions.

Is it just me, or do Michigan players always seem to get over-hyped then never live up to expectations?

I am not that impressed with Hall anyway. I watched Michigan play a few times this year and watched him get beat on several occasions.

Is it just me, or do Michigan players always seem to get over-hyped then never live up to expectations?

Do you mean Anthony Thomas?? :rolleyes:

Youbouty should be capable of stepping into the nickel slot (thus making Greer a reasonable #4 and dime player) and present the possibility (though far from a certainty) of taking the #2 CB slot of being a starter.

He will compete with Kiwaukee Thomas who envisions himself as being a starter, and whom Jauron likes but I do not see as being an NFL starter.

We have three guys who are all capable of being a credible nickel CB and if one of them steps up then there is your #2.

I was hoping we would get a better 2nd tier CB to compete with Youbouty (like Harper) but the set-up at CB is pretty doable for working with in our Cover 2 system which diminishes the playmaking ability of the CB (see Dre Bly's public comments ragging on the Cover 2 designed for Detroit by Jauron which led to Bly leaving Detroit as an FA, and see the Bills decision to agree not to franchise NC last year because they saw that the likely cost of franchising NC this year was beyond the amount of cap room a CB should take in a Cover 2).

I found this guy pretty interesting....

Pro Day:

ran the 40 in 4.33 and 4.35. He had a 37½-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-8 broad jump, a 3.96 short shuttle, a 7.07 three-cone drill and 17 benches.

BIO: Hobbled with injury throughout much of his senior season and posted just 15 tackles. Career-best numbers of 60/2/13 came as a freshman when he started every game at strong safety.

POSITIVES: Talented defensive back whose play regressed the past two seasons. Displays skill in zone and is effective when the action is in front of him. Quickly breaks to the ball, has a burst of closing speed and displays a good degree of explosion.

hmmmm --- depth---- http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122692

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3825

Do you mean Anthony Thomas?? :rolleyes:

I was thinking more along the lines of Desmond Howard, Charles Woodson, David Terell, Drew Henson and Braylon Edwards.

I was waiting for somone to mention Brady, but he wasn't hyped at all coming out of college.

I think they are going to ignore the draft altogether!

:rolleyes:

That was actually my deeper point.... This whole "draft" thing is a ruse to lure Chicago into trading us Lance Briggs for all our 07 draft picks ala Ditka did for Ricky Williams!!!!

WHO'S WITH ME???!!!?!

Howard was a super bowl MVP. :rolleyes:

Yeah it was a short time in the spotlight but he was still a force in the most important game of the year.

So was Larry Brown for the Cowboys.....and how did that work out for him? :w00t: