When was the last time you went to a demolition derby?

I haven't been to once since 2 years ago at the Altamont fair in Altamont, NY. IT WAS AWESOME!!!! :devil:

My guess is that it was the 4th or 5th one I've ever been to.

Like I said they're so rare these days. I remember seeing them on TNT a few year ago, but they aren't around that much anymore. :lol:

What about you?

I haven't been to once since 2 years ago at the Altamont fair in Altamont, NY. IT WAS AWESOME!!!! :devil:

Like I said they're so rare these days. I remember seeing them on TNT a few year ago, but they aren't around that much anymore. :lol:

What about you?

Now, it's just called NASCAR

Just for the record I hate NASCAR. What's so exciting seeing a car go around in circles for 3 hours. Besides most of the crashes aren't that exciting, unlike in a demo derby.

I have a question re: NASCAR

If I play basketball at the YMCA, I'm not a pro, but I AM playing a sport. Right?

If I play softball, I think most people would say I'm playing a sport.

So, when I drive to work, am I playing a sport? What if I only make left turns?

If I play basketball at the YMCA, I'm not a pro, but I AM playing a sport. Right?

It depends. Is your commute 500 miles at 200 mph in a Nomex suit with no air conditioning?

I don't particularly care for NASCAR. I'm not even sure it's a sport. Can we at least agree the drivers are athletes, particularly when compared to golfers or baseball pitchers or Jamie Nails?

It depends. Is your commute 500 miles at 200 mph in a Nomex suit with no air conditioning?

I don't particularly care for NASCAR. I'm not even sure it's a sport. Can we at least agree the drivers are athletes, particularly when compared to golfers or baseball pitchers or Jamie Nails?

...or John Daly? Of course we can.

But, why is it a sport if I play slow pitch softball, or old fat-man basketball but not if I drive to work at 80 miles an hour?

:devil: No doubt.

I'm no NASCAR fan myself, but I'd bet my last dollar on the "least athletic" driver on the circuit finishing 18 holes vs. squeezing John Daly's fat ass into a stock car and letting him sweat out a 500 mile race.

I'd say it's a sport if every other car on the road is also going to your job and trying to beat you there. :devil:

Beautiful! That works for me.

Now I just have to figure out a way for that to happen so I can be playing a sport everyday. BTW, i don't think it has to be EVERY car, as I've played baseball, football and basketball with several people that didn't seem to be paying any attention or really trying.

What about you?

Wow, my cousin lived on right across from the elementary school that butted up to the Fair grounds in Altamont. We used to go out there in the summer for the tri-county fair as kids. My senior year (in 1989) I went back up on my own for a nostalgia trip and we got someone to get us wrist bands for the beer tents. What a blast!!!

Never thought this morning when I woke up I'd have a random "Altamont Fair" reference. Did you go to Guilderland or grow up IN altamont?

Oh yeah my last demolition derby was either the Cattaraugus County fair in the early 80s or the Stockton Gala Days around the same time.

Beautiful! That works for me.

Now I just have to figure out a way for that to happen so I can be playing a sport everyday. BTW, i don't think it has to be EVERY car, as I've played baseball, football and basketball with several people that didn't seem to be paying any attention or really trying.

Fair enough, only most of the cars will be trying to beat you to work. The rest will just do obnoxious driver things like get in the left lane and slow down or put on their turn signal, but never turn for 5 miles. Maybe throw in a few brake-tappers and those special people who don't pull their cars all the way up to a red light and then the sensor never trips!

It's gonna be fun...

Wow, my cousin lived on right across from the elementary school that butted up to the Fair grounds in Altamont. We used to go out there in the summer for the tri-county fair as kids. My senior year (in 1989) I went back up on my own for a nostalgia trip and we got someone to get us wrist bands for the beer tents. What a blast!!!

Never thought this morning when I woke up I'd have a random "Altamont Fair" reference. Did you go to Guilderland or grow up IN altamont?

Oh yeah my last demolition derby was either the Cattaraugus County fair in the early 80s or the Stockton Gala Days around the same time.

With satan's hog no pig at all, and the weather getting dry

We'll head south from altamont in a cold blooded travelled trance

So clear the road my bully boys and let some thunder pass

We're pain, we're steel, a plot of knives,

We're transmaniacon MC

Behind the pantry, behind the tree, the ghouls adopt that child

Whose name resounds forever, whose name resounds on terror

And I'm no fool to call that hog, cause man I remember

Those who did resign their souls

To transmaniacon MC

And surely we did offer up behind that stage at dawn

Beers and barracuda, reds and monocaine

Pure nectar of antipathy behind that stage at dawn

To those who would resign their souls

To transmaniacon MC

Cry the cable, cry the word, unknown terror's here

And won't you try this tasty snack, behind the scenes or but the back

Which was the stage at altamont, my humble boys of listless power:

We're pain, we're steel, a plot of knives

We're transmaniacon MC

Blue Oyster Cult was REALLY something in their early days (before they became commercial ROCK STARS).

Oops..wrong thread

:devil:

Fair enough, only most of the cars will be trying to beat you to work. The rest will just do obnoxious driver things like get in the left lane and slow down or put on their turn signal, but never turn for 5 miles. Maybe throw in a few brake-tappers and those special people who don't pull their cars all the way up to a red light and then the sensor never trips!

It's gonna be fun...

Are you kidding me? I'm FIRED UP!

Now, I just have to get a job. :devil:

Are you kidding me? I'm FIRED UP!

Now, I just have to get a job. :devil:

Mingia Dean I was wondering if I was the only one on the board at this ungodly time of night.

Yeah the cult was way ahead of their time.

Thanks for TWO altamont refs in one day. Probably more than I've had in the last 15 years.

Mingia Dean I was wondering if I was the only one on the board at this ungodly time of night.

Yeah the cult was way ahead of their time.

Thanks for TWO altamont refs in one day. Probably more than I've had in the last 15 years.

Yeah, suffering a little insomnia tonight and living on West Coast time.

I take it you are a Pirate' fan? My Mom was born in Monessen and my first pro sports experience was at Forbes Field. I saw Stargell hit one out of the stadium. Quite a memory. Later, while still a kid, I saw Clemente take a ball hit off the wall and throw the batter out at first as he took too big of a turn.

I have never really considered athletes heroes, but Roberto was the closest thing in my life.

Get some sleep!

Yeah, suffering a little insomnia tonight and living on West Coast time.

I take it you are a Pirate' fan? My Mom was born in Monessen and my first pro sports experience was at Forbes Field. I saw Stargell hit one out of the stadium. Quite a memory. Later, while still a kid, I saw Clemente take a ball hit off the wall and throw the batter out at first as he took too big of a turn.

I have never really considered athletes heroes, but Roberto was the closest thing in my life.

Get some sleep!

The Pirate reference is actually a Jimmy Buffett reference, he has a song a pirate looks at 40 and a book a pirate looks at 50, but I grew up going to Pirates games at the Three Rivers in the early 80s and maybe the late 70s... I can't rightly remember.

I used to love Stargell until I sent him a letter as an 8-year-old and he sent me a form letter back with an order sheet to "order" an autographed photo, a yellow star badge for my pirates hat or whatever else an 8-year old felt he could "afford."

Too young to remember Clemente, but I'm enough a purist/student of the game to know he was a true man in every sense of the word among men. Taken away far too early.

The Pirate reference is actually a Jimmy Buffett reference, he has a song a pirate looks at 40 and a book a pirate looks at 50, but I grew up going to Pirates games at the Three Rivers in the early 80s and maybe the late 70s... I can't rightly remember.

I used to love Stargell until I sent him a letter as an 8-year-old and he sent me a form letter back with an order sheet to "order" an autographed photo, a yellow star badge for my pirates hat or whatever else an 8-year old felt he could "afford."

Too young to remember Clemente, but I'm enough a purist/student of the game to know he was a true man in every sense of the word among men. Taken away far too early.

Good enough for me. Sorry about Stargell. Too bad he couldn't/didn't personally return your letter.

As for Roberto he was VERY misunderstood in his time (much like me :devil: ) and a crazed hypochondriac (again, like me). But the mofo was the best fielder and CLEARLY had the best throwing arm I've ever seen. As far as hitting went, he did it all wrong...and could hit ANY pitch...I mean ANY pitch.

He stood at the very back of the batter's box and would stretch to hit balls well OUTSIDE of the strike zone. He was a true freak. I really like freaks.

Yes... :lol:

The others are "games" though...

Once again to quote that idiot Ernest Hemmingway: :devil::lol:

"There are only three sports: Mountaineering, Auto racing, and Bullfighting... Everything else is a game."