Kenneth Darby

I posted this in the Darius Walker thread but it looks like that topic is a dead one.

I have been reading up on the various running backs comming out this year and Darby's profile really sticks out to me...none of the other draft sites have as positive a write up on him and I'll admit i have never seen him play, so i was wondering if anyone who has seen him play has any comments, and i was also wondering where he is projected to go in the draft

Kenneth Darby

Height: 5-10

Weight: 213

Position: Running Back

College: Alabama

Positives: Has a short, compact frame with good upper-body thickness, muscular arms and legs, broad shoulders, big bubble and thick thighs and legs. … Creative open-field runner with that sudden burst of speed that allows him to immediately gain an advantage through the rush lanes. … Elusive cutback runner with precise plant-and-drive agility. He has the body control and lower-body flexibility to stop and go with no wasted motion and is effective at utilizing head fakes and his hip wiggle to set up the opponent. … Alert athlete, especially when it comes to recognizing and locating the blitz and bull rush. … Needs only minimal reps to retain and takes the plays from the chalkboard to the playing field. … Most featured backs shy away from blocking assignments. Darby relishes playing the role of blocker; he is a tough, fiery type who will not hesitate to mix it up in the trenches. … Explodes out of his stance through rush lanes and is very decisive attacking the holes. … Has the loose hips and wiggle to make the initial tackler miss and stays low in his pads to burst through the pile. … Runs with short pitter-patter steps and is very fluid redirecting. … Very deceptive varying his speeds to break free along the perimeter. … Has the burst to outrun defenders when working in space and most of his long runs have been the result of his explosive second gear. … Shows a very good feel for rushing lanes and the vision to quickly locate cutback routes. … Excels at anticipating even the slightest of creases and, based on the poor performance of the Tide's 2006 offensive line, most of his yardage was the result of his own hard work; solid blocks rarely developed for him. … Has that explosive second gear, hip snap and balance to be much more effective turning the corner than running between tackles. … His hip shake and wiggle allow him to change direction in an instant and run through cutback lanes. … Slippery runner who is very difficult to bring down in isolated coverage. … Possesses an array of moves to elude, especially when changing direction. … Protects the ball well by keeping it close to his body, usually carrying it away from the defender (is ambidextrous). … Quick to uncover and has the anticipation skills to work back to the ball. … Effective cut blocker with enough hand strength to lock on and sustain. … Quick in the open, using angles properly to locate second-level defenders. … He shows good alertness picking up the blitz and has a quick kick-slide in pass protection.

Negatives: Frame could carry some additional bulk, but he is too close to maximum growth potential to add without it affecting his quickness. … Was forced to create on his own; he could not be patient waiting for blocks to develop, which resulted in 23 negative-yardage runs by Darby in 2006 -- uncharacteristic for this player. … Will not hesitate to take the ball up the gut but, because of some size limitations he had to rely on his line to create space and they failed to do so in 2006. … .Type of player that needs room to run and can get bottled up inside, where his leg drive is only adequate. … His 2006 early-season knee bruise contributed to Darby being tackled behind the line of scrimmage 13 times in the team's first four games; he was also stopped five times for no gain during that span. … Executes excellent jump-cut moves, but just seemed a bit frustrated that he had little or no room to execute these moves in 2006. … Will run the ball hard up the gut, but unless he redirects or bounces wide, he is not the type that can break many tackles taking the ball up the middle. … Has good weight-room strength, but needs room to operate and seems to get too narrow with his base when having to power through arm tackles. … Doesn't have the long arm reach to compete for the ball at its highest point (29 5/8-inch reach) in passing situations.

Compares To: DeAngelo Williams, Carolina Panthers (Memphis) -- Darby is bigger than Williams, but both rely on their exceptional burst, outstanding field vision and instincts with the ball to be slippery outside runners. Darby has a great feel for the crease and cutback lanes, but relies more on his elusiveness; he doesn't have the ideal strength to be a power runner.

What do I think? I think you stole my thunder. We'll see what happens on draft day. It's a crap shoot.

From last week...

Mar 6 2007, 12:37 PM Post #13

This would be way off the blue print/pattern this regime has displayed to date.

Re-signing a 30 yr. old RB who has huge limitations and a 28 yr. old RB with a history of injuries would be a huge risk. If they sign either, or both, they are coming in at minimum wage or slightly above. Rhodes, if signed, cannot... I repeat, CANNOT, be depended on as an every down back. If they sign him, he's a passing down RB.

I think the Bills get their every down back on draft day... and not in round 1... cuz I don't really believe there is a RB in this year's draft worthy of a higher pick than 20.

there are 3 backs that I think fit their blue print... Ken Darby, Marshawn Lynch, Kolby Smith because of their versaility in both the running game and passing game. I know everyone's favorite seems to be Marshawn... but... I think pulling the string on him at number 12 is too high. I don't think this kid is anywhere near as good as the Pat's Maroney and he was drafted last year at 20 something.

I posted this in the Darius Walker thread but it looks like that topic is a dead one.

I have been reading up on the various running backs comming out this year and Darby's profile really sticks out to me...none of the other draft sites have as positive a write up on him and I'll admit i have never seen him play, so i was wondering if anyone who has seen him play has any comments, and i was also wondering where he is projected to go in the draft

Kenneth Darby

Height: 5-10

Weight: 213

Position: Running Back

College: Alabama

Positives: Has a short, compact frame with good upper-body thickness, muscular arms and legs, broad shoulders, big bubble and thick thighs and legs. … Creative open-field runner with that sudden burst of speed that allows him to immediately gain an advantage through the rush lanes. … Elusive cutback runner with precise plant-and-drive agility. He has the body control and lower-body flexibility to stop and go with no wasted motion and is effective at utilizing head fakes and his hip wiggle to set up the opponent. … Alert athlete, especially when it comes to recognizing and locating the blitz and bull rush. … Needs only minimal reps to retain and takes the plays from the chalkboard to the playing field. … Most featured backs shy away from blocking assignments. Darby relishes playing the role of blocker; he is a tough, fiery type who will not hesitate to mix it up in the trenches. … Explodes out of his stance through rush lanes and is very decisive attacking the holes. … Has the loose hips and wiggle to make the initial tackler miss and stays low in his pads to burst through the pile. … Runs with short pitter-patter steps and is very fluid redirecting. … Very deceptive varying his speeds to break free along the perimeter. … Has the burst to outrun defenders when working in space and most of his long runs have been the result of his explosive second gear. … Shows a very good feel for rushing lanes and the vision to quickly locate cutback routes. … Excels at anticipating even the slightest of creases and, based on the poor performance of the Tide's 2006 offensive line, most of his yardage was the result of his own hard work; solid blocks rarely developed for him. … Has that explosive second gear, hip snap and balance to be much more effective turning the corner than running between tackles. … His hip shake and wiggle allow him to change direction in an instant and run through cutback lanes. … Slippery runner who is very difficult to bring down in isolated coverage. … Possesses an array of moves to elude, especially when changing direction. … Protects the ball well by keeping it close to his body, usually carrying it away from the defender (is ambidextrous). … Quick to uncover and has the anticipation skills to work back to the ball. … Effective cut blocker with enough hand strength to lock on and sustain. … Quick in the open, using angles properly to locate second-level defenders. … He shows good alertness picking up the blitz and has a quick kick-slide in pass protection.

Negatives: Frame could carry some additional bulk, but he is too close to maximum growth potential to add without it affecting his quickness. … Was forced to create on his own; he could not be patient waiting for blocks to develop, which resulted in 23 negative-yardage runs by Darby in 2006 -- uncharacteristic for this player. … Will not hesitate to take the ball up the gut but, because of some size limitations he had to rely on his line to create space and they failed to do so in 2006. … .Type of player that needs room to run and can get bottled up inside, where his leg drive is only adequate. … His 2006 early-season knee bruise contributed to Darby being tackled behind the line of scrimmage 13 times in the team's first four games; he was also stopped five times for no gain during that span. … Executes excellent jump-cut moves, but just seemed a bit frustrated that he had little or no room to execute these moves in 2006. … Will run the ball hard up the gut, but unless he redirects or bounces wide, he is not the type that can break many tackles taking the ball up the middle. … Has good weight-room strength, but needs room to operate and seems to get too narrow with his base when having to power through arm tackles. … Doesn't have the long arm reach to compete for the ball at its highest point (29 5/8-inch reach) in passing situations.

Compares To: DeAngelo Williams, Carolina Panthers (Memphis) -- Darby is bigger than Williams, but both rely on their exceptional burst, outstanding field vision and instincts with the ball to be slippery outside runners. Darby has a great feel for the crease and cutback lanes, but relies more on his elusiveness; he doesn't have the ideal strength to be a power runner.

Gawd! His patience (or lack thereof) was probably the biggest thing that drove me nuts about him last year.

As this summary said, he's not a power back, so do not count on him to move the pile.

Teach the guy some patience, and pair him up with a power fullback (for the short yardage stuff), he might be worth a look.

As a side note, he went into last year on pace to shatter Shaun Alexanders rushing record at Bama, and Shaun did not turn out to shabby.

I watched quite a few bama games this year...mainly because they got a ton of HD games. I'm not very impressed with Darby's chances at the NFL. I don't feel he has what it takes to be a solid back.

Due to a poor forty time (4.75) and poor senior season Darby's considered a 6th/7th Round pick.

Darby is one of the few backs I have watched quite a bit because I am a Crimson Tide Fan.

He has very nice moves, and is an instinctive runner. What I don't believe is the size that they list. I always thought him to weigh closer to 190, perhaps 195.

I would like to have him in Buffalo, in the sense that he is WAY better than Shaud Williams.

As an Auburn fan I've seen Darby a bunch and am not a big fan. To me he seems to lack the burst and break away speed (see his 40 time at the combine) of an elite/feature back and seemed to regress some this year. To me he seems like a career NFL backup.

Although, in his defense, he didn't get much help because of Bama's below avg line play and poor play calling from Mikey Shula.

I think Darby is a steal at RD#6. Darby was a victim of the decayed 'Bama line, which had lost

Evan Mathis and Wesley Britt to the 2005 NFL draft and Justin Smiley the year before. You can't

find holes if your guys aren't makin' 'em.

With our improved line, we got holes he can run through.