Another Aggressive move by New England

Actually it does. Are you now suggesting that QB and WR are positions of need for the Bills?

See that's half the problem with so many of these botard threads. People make up problems that don't exist. We're set at WR and QB. We're now set at OL. We're not nearly as bad at CB as most want to protest. Everyone says draft Hall or some other guy in the first round to replace Nate. Why? That's why they drafted Youbouty last year. Just because you haven't seen enough of him doesn't mean the coaches haven't. Take a second year player that's familiar with our team and system or a rookie - I think the answer is obvious. RB is a position of unkown at this time, again for you. I'm sure the coaches have an idea of who'll be starting and they wouldn't have let McGehee go without some sort of a plan. Same with Fletcher and th LB position. We're probably only 1 player away from a decent Dline.

I know none of this makes you or some people happy and comfortable, but its funny how nothing Ralph, Marv or the coaches do makes some feel happy. Last season we were absolutely doomed. We'd be lucky to get 2 wins was the consensus of so many. Now, we're still doomed, continuallly rebuilding because we let our great run stuffer CB go. Funny ain't it.

Careful. If you write something coherent that makes sense you could get in some trouble here.

Once again this put us behind the game. They are going to give the division a serious run once again. Here we sit dead in the water, waiting to rebuild our franchise. We better say screw that cap to cash BS. Otherwise we'll never compete in this division.

Could you or someone please explain what the Bills mean by Cash to Cap? Because i don't think any of you know what you are talking about or even what cash to cap means.

I mean, I was literally drenched by the slobbering from your post after that trade rumor was posted. :flirt:

:flirt:

I've no idea what you're talking about. Here are my Moss-to-Pats-related posts that I could find:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry929446

I heard that the NFL Network reported that the Patriots offered a 3rd. Something tells me the Packers will offer more.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry929585

Everything I've heard about Gonzalez makes him sound like an ideal Patriots WR. Given that the Pats have already been linked to Welker, Stallworth, and Moss, however, they seem to be looking to fix the WR position more through free agency and trades than through the draft.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry930574

I'll be awaiting confirmation, though. Not too terribly much to give up.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry930613

The original poster says the deal is for a 2008 2nd. The Pats still have that to give up.

Perhaps I missed it. Care to direct my attention to the post in question?

According to Rotoworld :

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL

Aggressive Patriots land Donte' Stallworth

Patriots agreed to terms with WR Donte' Stallworth on a six-year contract.

The deal is worth $30 million, including roughly $12 million guaranteed, according to ESPN. This is the second player believed to be in the NFL's substance-abuse program that New England has signed this offseason (also Sammy Morris). He gives Tom Brady a deep threat to start opposite Reche Caldwell with Wes Welker in the slot, but Stallworth's fantasy numbers may not improve in the Patriots' receiver committee. Mar. 11 - 9:54 am et

Once again this put us behind the game. They are going to give the division a serious run once again. Here we sit dead in the water, waiting to rebuild our franchise. We better say screw that cap to cash BS. Otherwise we'll never compete in this division.

To put a positive spin on all of this, they just invested a lot of money in a LB on the wrong side of 30, and 2 receivers who i think are worse than our #1 receiver. I'm not worried. I have a feeling we may have the best O-line in the afc east come regular season time.

To put a positive spin on all of this, they just invested a lot of money in a LB on the wrong side of 30...

Thomas is 29.

...and 2 receivers who i think are worse than our #1 receiver.

What does it matter how they relate to Evans? The question to ask is if they're better than the likes of Kelvin Kight and Bam Childress. Never mind that Welker is about as good a fit for the New England offense as there is.

In any event, the Pats hardly spent "a lot of money" on Welker and Stallworth. Welker signed for $3.6 million a year, and Stallworth's deal is only $3.6 million for one year if the Pats opt out of it after '07.

To put a positive spin on all of this, they just invested a lot of money in a LB on the wrong side of 30, and 2 receivers who i think are worse than our #1 receiver. I'm not worried. I have a feeling we may have the best O-line in the afc east come regular season time.

Is there a right side of 30? I'm trying to figure that one out. Adalius Thomas might be a system player, but who knows. He's played well in Baltimore with a good defense and I'm willing to bet with Belichick that he's going to be good for 2-3 years barring injury. But so what.

Welker and a healthy Donte Stallworth are improvements over players like Doug Gabriel (who was released) Reche Caldwell, not to mention Jabar Gaffney. We all know Brady makes his wideouts better, and now he's got more to work with.

Our offensive line is the foundation of a good defense. But having the best OL without some diversified set of weapons is not good. I think Losman will be better and Evans will play better than even last season. But you can't be an all pass team, because, and I might be wrong here, we don't have a legitimate RB on the roster and it's getting late. You can fall back on the whole, "we'll draft a RB in Round 1 or 2" rationale, but here's the scary thought, the defense needs some help too, as in now.

So NE doesn't scare you? They're another team, but one with a track record of success. I suppose they didn't concern you last season in the fourth quarter there Week 1 or in that monstrosity in week 7.

Thomas is 29.

What does it matter how they relate to Evans? The question to ask is if they're better than the likes of Kelvin Kight and Bam Childress. Never mind that Welker is about as good a fit for the New England offense as there is.

In any event, the Pats hardly spent "a lot of money" on Welker and Stallworth. Welker signed for $3.6 million a year, and Stallworth's deal is only $3.6 million for one year if the Pats opt out of it after '07.

HD, let them think that they have a chance. It will make mid September (the time they realize their season is over) that much sweeter.

Then again, I suspect there will be more anger around these parts come Draft Day with the exception of MadBuffaloDisease who will continue to do his impersionation of Ron Borges by claiming that the Patriots are DOOOMED!!

Is there a right side of 30? I'm trying to figure that one out. Adalius Thomas might be a system player, but who knows. He's played well in Baltimore with a good defense and I'm willing to bet with Belichick that he's going to be good for 2-3 years barring injury. But so what.

Welker and a healthy Donte Stallworth are improvements over players like Doug Gabriel (who was released) Reche Caldwell, not to mention Jabar Gaffney. We all know Brady makes his wideouts better, and now he's got more to work with.

Our offensive line is the foundation of a good defense. But having the best OL without some diversified set of weapons is not good. I think Losman will be better and Evans will play better than even last season. But you can't be an all pass team, because, and I might be wrong here, we don't have a legitimate RB on the roster and it's getting late. You can fall back on the whole, "we'll draft a RB in Round 1 or 2" rationale, but here's the scary thought, the defense needs some help too, as in now.

So NE doesn't scare you? They're another team, but one with a track record of success. I suppose they didn't concern you last season in the fourth quarter there Week 1 or in that monstrosity in week 7.

Mostly good points. But it is nowhere near LATE. It's early March and RB's the quality of the ones now in FA are a DIME A DOZEN. I guarantee the Bills will have NFL quality RBs on their roster before the season starts. Relax.

HD: It was your willingness to believe a obviously false rumor (kind of like the "Chris Brown to sign for a bajillion dollars" thread that infests the board today). If this was your idea of a big-time off-season WR addition, well then, congrats.

Prognastic: The window is closing. Hence the spending spree. Will it be enough?

Mostly good points. But it is nowhere near LATE. It's early March and RB's the quality of the ones now in FA are a DIME A DOZEN. I guarantee the Bills will have NFL quality RBs on their roster before the season starts. Relax.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but who's still out there? I know Chris Brown is there. So are Corey Dillon, Ron Dayne, Correll Buckhalter, Anthony Thomas, and Kevan Barlow. Those are the top choices remaining in free agency.

These are not options I'm crazy about, but I do feel better about taking a Chris Brown and putting him behind a much improved line. Having Anthony Thomas share time with Brown isn't a bad thing. Sure it's early, but the availability of backs in free agency combined with some coming off the free agent list is limited.

I don't see any backs being cuts from their team. Perhaps Clinton Portis will get the boot in Washington as the Skins have re-signed Ladell Betts. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Notice, I've only supplied UFA options. I don't think Turner is leaving SD for less than a 1st or maybe a 2nd and a 3rd, despite the tender he received that equals a 1st and a 3rd compensation.

I'll be fine with Chris Brown and A-Train for a year. But there needs to be a long term solution from the draft either this year or next.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but who's still out there? I know Chris Brown is there. So are Corey Dillon, Ron Dayne, Correll Buckhalter, Anthony Thomas, and Kevan Barlow. Those are the top choices remaining in free agency.

These are not options I'm crazy about, but I do feel better about taking a Chris Brown and putting him behind a much improved line. Having Anthony Thomas share time with Brown isn't a bad thing. Sure it's early, but the availability of backs in free agency combined with some coming off the free agent list is limited.

I don't see any backs being cuts from their team. Perhaps Clinton Portis will get the boot in Washington as the Skins have re-signed Ladell Betts. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Notice, I've only supplied UFA options. I don't think Turner is leaving SD for less than a 1st or maybe a 2nd and a 3rd, despite the tender he received that equals a 1st and a 3rd compensation.

I'll be fine with Chris Brown and A-Train for a year. But there needs to be a long term solution from the draft either this year or next.

You just named EIGHT options on the table, pretty much. Seven if you eliminate AT as he is ours to lose, i think. Backs will be cut and trades can be made and there is the draft. RB is probably the easiest position to make an impact as a rookie. Also add our NFL Europe back to the mix.

I'm not belittling your concern, I'm just saying it's too early to panic. Marv will get it done.

You just named EIGHT options on the table, pretty much. Seven if you eliminate AT as he is ours to lose, i think. Backs will be cut and trades can be made and there is the draft. RB is probably the easiest position to make an impact as a rookie. Also add our NFL Europe back to the mix.

I'm not belittling your concern, I'm just saying it's too early to panic. Marv will get it done.

Those were eight options, all of them pretty poor. Sure, there will be cuts, but who's going to cut a quality back for us to have fall into our laps for a low price?

I'm not even going to rely on the Bills relying on an NFL Europe Player. (Right now someone is desperately saying Brian Moorman, but totally different position) Let's get real here.

1. Ron Dayne was not retained in Houston because he's a poor option. Despite playing well at the end, he doesn't have the speed and cannot run outside the tackles. A one-dimensional back.

2. Kevan Barlow was cut by the Jets. End of story.

3. Anthony Thomas filled in admirably for Buffalo, but against the NFL's worst run defense (Indy) could not average 4 yards per carry. Of course the line had hand in that, but a back-up type player.

4. Correll Buckhalter has had serious injury concerns and never could come close to supplanting Brian Westbrook, a UDFA.

5. Corey Dillon has either said thanks but no thanks or Buffalo told him he can take his attitude back home. I've got no problem with him not being here.

6. Chris Brown is the option that reminds me of a politician you don't agree all the time with, but against the other options on election day you vote for because there's nothing better.

So, what you have are castoffs that other teams don't want vying for a starting job in Buffalo. Again, it's early, but too late to be opening another position. If Chris Brown signs, fine. But there should be another guy in the mix should he get hurt. Someone who can handle the load if need be.

I don't take your post as belittling at all...I like having informed discussions with people in a civil manner. RB is an easier solution than QB, OT, or even DT. But you've got to have A solution at some point.

Marv might get it done, but using a first or second on a RB takes away from using that on the defensive side of the ball. The defense needs help now, and I don't see it coming in free agency.

HD: It was your willingness to believe a obviously false rumor (kind of like the "Chris Brown to sign for a bajillion dollars" thread that infests the board today).

You're insane. This is what I said in response to someone claiming that Oakland sports radio was reporting Moss to the Pats for and '08 2nd:

I'll be awaiting confirmation...
How does that show a "willingness to believe?" If I was willing to believe, I would not have been awaiting confirmation.

If this was your idea of a big-time off-season WR addition, well then, congrats.

Stallworth was considered by many to be the best WR on the open market. He was most people's idea of a big-time off-season WR addition.

The window is closing.

:devil:

What is this, year four of the "closing window" era? You're slipping into self-parody territory here, MDB.

Helpful hint: A team that goes from 10-6 and the divisional round in '05 to 12-4 and the championship round in '06 and then adds a bunch of talent in the off-season is one whose window is opening wider.

Those were eight options, all of them pretty poor. Sure, there will be cuts, but who's going to cut a quality back for us to have fall into our laps for a low price?

I'm not even going to rely on the Bills relying on an NFL Europe Player. (Right now someone is desperately saying Brian Moorman, but totally different position) Let's get real here.

1. Ron Dayne was not retained in Houston because he's a poor option. Despite playing well at the end, he doesn't have the speed and cannot run outside the tackles. A one-dimensional back.

2. Kevan Barlow was cut by the Jets. End of story.

3. Anthony Thomas filled in admirably for Buffalo, but against the NFL's worst run defense (Indy) could not average 4 yards per carry. Of course the line had hand in that, but a back-up type player.

4. Correll Buckhalter has had serious injury concerns and never could come close to supplanting Brian Westbrook, a UDFA.

5. Corey Dillon has either said thanks but no thanks or Buffalo told him he can take his attitude back home. I've got no problem with him not being here.

6. Chris Brown is the option that reminds me of a politician you don't agree all the time with, but against the other options on election day you vote for because there's nothing better.

So, what you have are castoffs that other teams don't want vying for a starting job in Buffalo. Again, it's early, but too late to be opening another position. If Chris Brown signs, fine. But there should be another guy in the mix should he get hurt. Someone who can handle the load if need be.

I don't take your post as belittling at all...I like having informed discussions with people in a civil manner. RB is an easier solution than QB, OT, or even DT. But you've got to have A solution at some point.

Marv might get it done, but using a first or second on a RB takes away from using that on the defensive side of the ball. The defense needs help now, and I don't see it coming in free agency.

I hear what your saying, I just don't think Chris Brown is anything special when compared to the other options (current and future). All of these guys have their styles, issues, strengths and weaknesses (which you did a good job of laying out). Behind a good line any of them will do. They'd all run for 1,500+ in Denver if they stayed healthy.

With that said, I really hope they retain AT, i think he's a perfect #2/emergency #1. I'd be fine with him as the starter, if need be. I think Brown and AT (with an RB in the draft) is just dandy. Apparently they feel there is no rush. They know the landscape better than anyone here.

I agree we shouldn't use a 1st or 2nd round pick on an RB this year. I think a 3rd or 4th rounder will do just fine.

So, maybe Marv's content to see who we draft and then who becomes available in cuts and/or trades. I'll trust Marv for now, and try to remember it's only March and there are a LOT of transactions to be done before training camp begins.

It was the "He heard it on the radio, thus, no link." immediate reply to Silent Bob who asked for a link. I guess I just took it in-context.

As for Stallworth, you're kidding, right? The best he could get was the Pats' 1-year $3.6M offer? Remember that the Pats offered him this deal and he left and interviewed with other teams, none of whom offered him more.

And the Pats added talent but also lost talent. As I've said, they've gone completely away from what they did previously, by going on a FA spending spree. Again I ask, will it work?

I hear what your saying, I just don't think Chris Brown is anything special when compared to the other options (current and future). All of these guys have their styles, issues, strengths and weaknesses (which you did a good job of laying out). Behind a good line any of them will do. They'd all run for 1,500+ in Denver if they stayed healthy.

With that said, I really hope they retain AT, i think he's a perfect #2/emergency #1. I'd be fine with him as the starter, if need be. I think Brown and AT (with an RB in the draft) is just dandy. Apparently they feel there is no rush. They know the landscape better than anyone here.

I agree we shouldn't use a 1st or 2nd round pick on an RB this year. I think a 3rd or 4th rounder will do just fine.

So, maybe Marv's content to see who we draft and then who becomes available in cuts and/or trades. I'll trust Marv for now, and try to remember it's only March and there are a LOT of transactions to be done before training camp begins.

I think Chris Brown could be a great RB if he could stay healthy for 16 games. His history however proves he cannot. Therefore you cannot count on him and that makes him worthless. He could go down on his first carry, or in the last game of the season. You just don't know. I'd rather go with a guy with lesser talent, but who can stay healthy. But only as a backup, drafting a rookie RB to be the #1 guy.

Oh yeah, Chris Brown is not someone I want to put too much faith into. He's got talent, but there's no amount of talent that can calm my concerns about his durability. Anthony Thomas is out there, and yeah I've got to believe the front office knows he wants to return unless someone comes along and gives him ridiculous money. I think they'll take their chances and wait for him to re-sign here in Buffalo.

There are some good backs that people are projecting going in the third. Maybe Antonio Pittman is available, I don't know. But it's a risk waiting until draft day period to clear up your running back situation. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I know trades aren't popular in the NFL like they are in other major pro leagues, but I wouldn't doubt Buffalo trying to engineer something. The question is, with whom and for what player.

It was the "He heard it on the radio, thus, no link." immediate reply to Silent Bob who asked for a link. I guess I just took it in-context.

Yeah, I was just explaining why there was no link. I know as well as anyone that "I heard it on sports radio" reports are almost never true.

As for Stallworth, you're kidding, right? The best he could get was the Pats' 1-year $3.6M offer? Remember that the Pats offered him this deal and he left and interviewed with other teams, none of whom offered him more.

Stallworth has his issues (injuries, substance abuse), which is why teams were likely reluctant to commit to him long term, but to pretend he's not a talented guy who gives the Patriots something they don't have (a deep threat) is absurd.

And the Pats added talent but also lost talent.

Who? Dillon?

All but the stanchest Pats-haters (i.e. you) acknowledge that the current roster is FAR better than the one that came within a handful of plays of going to the Super Bowl last year.

As I've said, they've gone completely away from what they did previously, by going on a FA spending spree.

How is this any different than when they signed Colvin, Harrison, and Poole in the first few days of free agency in 2003?

Just because you have convinced yourself that the Patriots' front office has never spent any money doesn't make it so. This off-season is typical of the Patriots - they have targeted players who fit the system and signed them to appropriate contracts. If it resembles a "spending spree," it is only because the Patriots, like all other teams, have much more cap room to work with.

Again I ask, will it work?

Based on track record? Probably.

Get ready Terrance.

Terrence McGee is going to get smoked badly and oftent this season.

Buffalo's pass defense will be close to dead last.

Oh wait, I forgot about the dynamite signing of Chris Kelsay, our pass D is saved.

Terrence McGee is going to get smoked badly and oftent this season.

Buffalo's pass defense will be close to dead last.

Oh wait, I forgot about the dynamite signing of Chris Kelsay, our pass D is saved.

You're not supposed to be negative around here. Haven't you heard? Marv and Dick have a plan.

I call it, "Fun with Dick and Marv." The 2007 Off-season brought to you by Ralph Wilson. Coming to a football stadium near you.

Yeah, I was just explaining why there was no link. I know as well as anyone that "I heard it on sports radio" reports are almost never true.

Stallworth has his issues (injuries, substance abuse), which is why teams were likely reluctant to commit to him long term, but to pretend he's not a talented guy who gives the Patriots something they don't have (a deep threat) is absurd.

Who? Dillon?

Stallworth was trash in NO... Made medicore in philly(on par with Josh Reed's best season), heck Peerless price has a better track record than stallworth. Overpaid for welker (IMO) (should have kept troy brown for cheap...same type WR)

HD: Stallworth has talent to be sure. But that's not enough. As has been mentioned, he has attitude, injury, and substance abuse problems. There have been players with as many issues who have gotten big money deals in the recent past. Hell, Welker got almost 3 times as much guaranteed money as Stallworth, and the Pats traded picks away for him as well. So I wouldn't exactly call him a coveted FA WR, much less the top FA WR. Again the Pats taking-on a player like this is something that goes against what they've done in the past.

As for having a much better roster than last year, debatable at best. Thomas may or may not prove to be all he is advertised, but the track record of Ravens defenders after they leave Baltimore is pretty well-established, and Rosey Colvin hasn't come close to duplicating what he did with the Bears. And the trade-off of Dillon for Morris (a player similar to Faulk), Troy Brown for Welker, and Graham for no one isn't exactly scary. Add to that Vrabel, Bruschi, and Harrison aging rapidly...

Oh and the Pats were just as close, if not closer, to losing in the 2nd round (again) than they were to going to the SB (again). No more Marty to kick around, though and it looks like the Broncos are making serious moves to improve as well, and we all know how Shanahan has Belichick's number.

HD: Stallworth has talent to be sure. But that's not enough. As has been mentioned, he has attitude, injury, and substance abuse problems. There have been players with as many issues who have gotten big money deals in the recent past. Hell, Welker got almost 3 times as much guaranteed money as Stallworth, and the Pats traded picks away for him as well. So I wouldn't exactly call him a coveted FA WR, much less the top FA WR. Again the Pats taking-on a player like this is something that goes against what they've done in the past.

As for having a much better roster than last year, debatable at best. Thomas may or may not prove to be all he is advertised, but the track record of Ravens defenders after they leave Baltimore is pretty well-established, and Rosey Colvin hasn't come close to duplicating what he did with the Bears. And the trade-off of Dillon for Morris (a player similar to Faulk), Troy Brown for Welker, and Graham for no one isn't exactly scary. Add to that Vrabel, Bruschi, and Harrison aging rapidly...

Oh and the Pats were just as close, if not closer, to losing in the 2nd round (again) than they were to going to the SB (again). No more Marty to kick around, though and it looks like the Broncos are making serious moves to improve as well, and we all know how Shanahan has Belichick's number.

I wont argue with the first paragraph.

The second however, their roster is better than it was last year. Adalius Thomas is an upgrade over Tully Banta-Cain, Eugene Wilson and Rodney Harrison are healthy again and Vrabel, Bruschi and Harrison age no faster or slower than any other human being (except those on crack)

3rd paragraph is pure hyperbole. They were no closer to burrowing to the center of the Earth as they were to flying to the moon.

WHO CARES? They got to where they got to plain and simple.

Yeah, much like letting go of Deon Branch and going with a committee of receivers. How did that approach fare for them against Indy in the conference championship when it counted??

Yeah, Deion Branch would have stopped Joseph Addai from getting into the endzone untouched. He also would have put more pressure on Manning and would have adequately covered Dallas Clark down the field.

Offense was not the problem in the AFCCG