Compensatory picks

I know there is a bit of mystery surrounding the formula the NFL uses for compensatory picks, but based on what Nate and London got in free agency it doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possible that we could end up with one or more.

Does anybody have any insight on exactly how these things are chosen and anyone venture to guess what we might get?

They are calculated based upon contract values, postseason player awards, and most importantly, net gain/loss of FAs. I don't think we will recieve any, as the signings of Walker and Dockery offset our losses.

No one knows the exact formula used except the NFL itself.

Correct me if I am wrong. Free Agents lost last year:

1) Trey Teague (NYJ)

2) Ron Edwards (KC)

3) Justin Bannan (BAL)

FA Gained last year

1) Robert Royal

2) Larry Tripplett

3) Andre Davis

4) Matt Bowen

5) Craig Nall

6) Melvin Fowler

7) Peerless Price

8) Kiewalkee Thomas

If that is true...dont expect ANY comp picks for the 2007 draft...

As far as the 2008 draft goes....

Players Lost (Thus Far)

1) Fletcher

2) Clements

Players Signed

1) Dockery

2) Walker

3) Wittle

Don't expect any comp picks for next season either. What is whittle's salary? If he is close to vet. minimum, AND Gandy signs a respectible contract (i.e. somewhere around 1M/season), we might be able to get a 7th round comp pick next year.

The overriding factor for determining comp picks is the NUMBER of FAs signed and lost, not the QUALITY of those FAs.

The NFL has a meeting to distribute picks in a secret room. When the Bills turn comes, the cigarette smoking guy from the X-Files comes in and says "No compensatory picks for Buffalo", the NFL guys agree, move on to the next team, & smoking man leaves-until next year.

The NFL has a meeting to distribute picks in a secret room. When the Bills turn comes, the cigarette smoking guy from the X-Files comes in and says "No compensatory picks for Buffalo", the NFL guys agree, move on to the next team, & smoking man leaves-until next year.

Given that way back when the Bills actually received a mid draft pick for compensation when our lead FA loss was Lonnie Friggin Johnson it will be a long time before the Bills can claim any conspiracy theory designed to screw us in terms of compensatory picks.

But signing Dockery and Walker balances those losses

Bills will get no comp picks in 07 draft and at this point, will not get comp picks in 08

We lose the highest defense paid player in NFL history and a very good MLB, and in return get one good lineman and another lineman than Raiders fans call a "turnstile" and they call that even? Wow. What a joke.