1st Round Choice & RB Situation

marck

I think you might be understating our need at CB. I would say RB and CB are our top needs. Ellison showed that he can play capably as a starter last year. They think Crowell can play in the middle. The needs then at lb are for depth or for upgrade. We need a starting CB and a starting RB.

That said I still would like Willis or Okoye in rd. 1.

i agree. let me remind all bills fans what our weaknesses were last yr on D. it was stopping the run. we need a DT . if branch or okoye is gone by pick 12 then we trade down and add picks. lynch is not worth a 12th pick. were set at linebacker. crowell will man the middle. takeo and ellison round it out.

Why is it that people keep saying we can get a starting running back in the 2nd round, but not a starting linebacker in the 2nd?.

I'll say it again, if the a running back is below par, he is almost useless (only one guy is featured, even with these 2-back teams), but an "average" linebacker can still start and be effective,. Your running back has to kick a$$.

I think they need both a running back and a linebacker (I think running back is a more important position), but should take the best guy on the board (it's not always easy to trade down) at EITHER position (and if there is someone at another position that is just off the map and still there, consider that player).

From what I have studied and seen there are more quality running backs in this draft then LBs, therefore putting a priority on them meaning a RB is more than likely a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

The Bills have four glaring starter needs, it seems:

1) DT

2) CB

3) RB

4) ILB

Buffalo drafted Youboty and McCargo to fill needs last year. Would Leon Hall or Chris Houston not also be stepping into a first year situation, same as Youboty??

And McCargo was hurt just as he was beginning to see action. McCargo was a 2nd round type talent. There are only 2 players who could be described as round 1 talent on the board, and both will likely be gone at Buffalo's #12 spot. Alan Branch and Amobi Okoye. An outside chance on Okoye being available. In the second round, Buffalo should find more McCargo quality DT talent available (Justin Harell, Tank Tyler or Brandon Mebane)

So with the #12 you would have to think RB or ILB as the positions of greatest - Patrick Willis or Marshawn Lynch are both adequate value for the pick.

It seems that most teams are set at RB, and are unlikely to use high picks on backups. Assume Cleveland bags Peterson, the Bills grab ILB Willis and the Packers draft Lynch, that leaves only the Giants and the Bills with major needs. And the Giants just signed droughns.

I think the Bills hold off until the 3rd round for a RB and will have a choice of Antonio Pittman, Tony Hunt or Lorenzo Booker. Possibly Michael Bush may fall to them.

Second round perhaps they will grab one of the high quality CBs that are available in this years bumper crop.

-Warren@Drafttek.com

www.drafttek.com

From what I have studied and seen there are more quality running backs in this draft then LBs, therefore putting a priority on them meaning a RB is more than likely a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

A reasonable argument.

Though others on this board have scoffed, I posted 2 lists, one was of Hall of Fame running backs and their draft position (which kinda confused the issue), the other of the featured running backs of all the Super Bowl winners (which zeroed in on the issue).

Almost all of them were #1 picks, especially the repeat winners. My point was that generally you need an elite back to win the Supert Bowl. There are lots of excellent backs that have been picked in other rounds, and some of the first rounders that won the Super Bowl were nothing special (Antwaine Smith?), but that IS the way it has been. Surely this isn't coincidence?

I am not saying, just draft any running back, the guy has to be worthy (I am not claiming to know if Marshawn Lynch is worthy or not), but you need an elite runner, and you have a BETTER chance of getting him in the first. When people reference past draft busts ("not ANOTHER #1 running back bust") I find this silly. Different regime, different circumstances, different players)

I think a linebacker like HH Blades would be fine. I also like Brandon Siler. neither are first round guys.

Oh, yah, Marv does not zero in... Oh, but he does.

Donte Whitner

Kyle Williams almost in Rnd 4 instead 5.

Not saying I diagree with the strategy to not do it but I do think Marv does do it some. No doubt.

You're right. What I really meant was that I don't think the Bills have zeroed in on

Linebacker first round

Cornerback 2nd round

Running back 3rd round, etc.

I think they get input from college coaching staffs that they trust (Ohio State) (not Texas, I hope), meet players at the combine etc., and then decide their draft board, weighing need, talent, and personal profile.

Patrick Willis seems cool, but I have a feeling there are alot of hard, heart tugging stories at the combine. In fact, some guys would probably never talk to the media about some of the things they have been through.

Why is it that people keep saying we can get a starting running back in the 2nd round, but not a starting linebacker in the 2nd?.

I'll say it again, if the a running back is below par, he is almost useless (only one guy is featured, even with these 2-back teams), but an "average" linebacker can still start and be effective,. Your running back has to kick a$$.

I think they need both a running back and a linebacker (I think running back is a more important position), but should take the best guy on the board (it's not always easy to trade down) at EITHER position (and if there is someone at another position that is just off the map and still there, consider that player).

OK i don't usually attack other people's opinions because everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but this is the least thought out and useless post i have EVER seen! Where i agree that RB is one of the most important positions on a team, it is also...BY FAR, the easiest position to replace. The average career of an NFL back is 2.6 years and falling, according to the National Football League Players' Association. That is why free agent RB's have had such a hard time to find a home...Rhodes left indy to try to become a featured back, instead he found a backup role behind Lemont Jordon. Jamaal lewis left the revans only to get a one year deal from Clevland who is likley to draft the dynamic petterson in round 1 to complement/replace him. On the other hand, good LB's are hard to come by. In this year's draft there are a number of RB's that can make an immediate contribution: Petterson, Lynch, Bush, Hunt, Irons, A-train, etc. on the other side of the ball there are only three first round talent LB's, Willis, Puz, and Shaw. It might be too little too late though, only time wiill tell....

The Bills have four glaring starter needs, it seems:

1) DT

2) CB

3) RB

4) ILB

Buffalo drafted Youboty and McCargo to fill needs last year. Would Leon Hall or Chris Houston not also be stepping into a first year situation, same as Youboty??

And McCargo was hurt just as he was beginning to see action. McCargo was a 2nd round type talent. There are only 2 players who could be described as round 1 talent on the board, and both will likely be gone at Buffalo's #12 spot. Alan Branch and Amobi Okoye. An outside chance on Okoye being available. In the second round, Buffalo should find more McCargo quality DT talent available (Justin Harell, Tank Tyler or Brandon Mebane)

So with the #12 you would have to think RB or ILB as the positions of greatest - Patrick Willis or Marshawn Lynch are both adequate value for the pick.

It seems that most teams are set at RB, and are unlikely to use high picks on backups. Assume Cleveland bags Peterson, the Bills grab ILB Willis and the Packers draft Lynch, that leaves only the Giants and the Bills with major needs. And the Giants just signed droughns.

I think the Bills hold off until the 3rd round for a RB and will have a choice of Antonio Pittman, Tony Hunt or Lorenzo Booker. Possibly Michael Bush may fall to them.

Second round perhaps they will grab one of the high quality CBs that are available in this years bumper crop.

-Warren@Drafttek.com

www.drafttek.com

I think having a choice between Lynch and Patrick Willis would be a pretty sweet situation. Since Peterson will be gone by 12, Lynch will be the best back still on the board and Willis would be the best MLB still on the board. Both are postitions of need for use so we get the best of both worlds: need and best athlete. I will bo with whatever Marv and the coaches decide if it comes down that, choosing between two beasts like Lynch and Willis. My experience tells me that no matter who Marv takes, he will be taken to task by those who wanted the other guy.

Here's what I would do in regards to our RB situation :

07 season : Re-Sign A-Train (2nd rounder 2001) + Sign Chris Brown (3rd rounder 2003)

Let them share the load at RB with the best of FJackson or SWilliams

08 draft : you go there for your blue-chip RB

This gives us all the flexibility that we need to address the defense this year...

Just my 0,02$

OK i don't usually attack other people's opinions because everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but this is the least thought out and useless post i have EVER seen! Where i agree that RB is one of the most important positions on a team, it is also...BY FAR, the easiest position to replace. The average career of an NFL back is 2.6 years and falling, according to the National Football League Players' Association. That is why free agent RB's have had such a hard time to find a home...Rhodes left indy to try to become a featured back, instead he found a backup role behind Lemont Jordon. Jamaal lewis left the revans only to get a one year deal from Clevland who is likley to draft the dynamic petterson in round 1 to complement/replace him. On the other hand, good LB's are hard to come by. In this year's draft there are a number of RB's that can make an immediate contribution: Petterson, Lynch, Bush, Hunt, Irons, A-train, etc. on the other side of the ball there are only three first round talent LB's, Willis, Puz, and Shaw. It might be too little too late though, only time wiill tell....

This opinion was well researched.

As I said look at the Super Bowl winners and their running backs, almost all first rounders. not a coincidence. Sure there are lots of excellents back available later, teams are successful with those guys, but not many have won Super Bowls. I don't know why but IT'S A FACT!

I agree they have short careers, that's why you have to time things just right. Right now the BIlls need the third piece of an offense's playmakers. JP and Evans are just coming into their own, it's time to get an elite back. I am not saying there is one available in this draft, but if there is, now is the time. They are up near the top of the draft, and (hopefully) next year they will be near the bottom.

It appears that the majority of posters feel that we need to draft Lynch from Cal in the 1st round to fill the hole created by the trade of Willis. This would be a huge mistake. The area of weakness is at LB and our pick in the 1st round should be Patrick Willis of Mississippi. This would allow the Bills to add a great young player, leader and character player to their roster. He looks very much like a young Takeo Spikes. With Spikes here providing a great role model for him.

In the 2nd round I would move to fill the hole at RB with the selection of Tony Hunt of Penn State. Hunt has a great mix of size and speed and if possible, I would do whatever I could to then manuver to take Brian Leonard from Rutgers. A backfield of Hunt/Leonard would provide the split backfield threat that would work very well with the other weapons the Bills have.

As always, am interested in your thoughts on how this scenario would position the Bills in the future.

While I agree with your first pick and I think anyone that has been suggested on TBD has a case, I don't agree with your second round pick. If we can, I think I would go with Kenny Irons instead.