Blues Traveler singer and harmonica player

erynthered

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,257638,00.html

"Popper indicated to troopers that he had installed these items in his vehicle because (in the event of a natural disaster) he didn't want to be left behind," the Patrol said in a news release. He also told officers he collected weapons, the Patrol said.

Is he the really Orwellian one?

I can understand if they guy is a bit paranoid and maybe has one rifle and a hand gun, but holy crap...

Why does he have to be paranoid? Perhaps he just went to a gun show and was bringing his bounty home. A lot of rich guys buy multiple similiar weapons because they have personal ranges and friends who come over to shoot.

It's easy to sit back and talk crap about things when you don't know much about them. Much like the "why do you need so many shotguns" thread that kicked around here awhile back. Different shotguns for different purposes. Skeet, trap, fowl, marine, etc.

Why does he have to be paranoid? Perhaps he just went to a gun show and was bringing his bounty home. A lot of rich guys buy multiple similiar weapons because they have personal ranges and friends who come over to shoot.

It's easy to sit back and talk crap about things when you don't know much about them. Much like the "why do you need so many shotguns" thread that kicked around here awhile back. Different shotguns for different purposes. Skeet, trap, fowl, marine, etc.

Good post, Captain! :lol:

Standard NRA talking points. Now try to tell us how you think for yourself. Lemming.

Perhaps. But, I'm guessing the paranoia reference came from this:

"Popper indicated to troopers that he had installed these items in his vehicle because (in the event of a natural disaster) he didn't want to be left behind,"

Nothing there about coming home from a gun show, hunting, sport shooting, etc. Of course, he could have just been lying to the cops and/or the reporting sucks. Both very real possibilities, IMO.

But, one someone installs an arsenal in their car, I tend to think "Paranoid Wacko".

Perhaps. But, I'm guessing the paranoia reference came from this:

"Popper indicated to troopers that he had installed these items in his vehicle because (in the event of a natural disaster) he didn't want to be left behind,"

Nothing there about coming home from a gun show, hunting, sport shooting, etc. Of course, he could have just been lying to the cops and/or the reporting sucks. Both very real possibilities, IMO.

But, one someone installs an arsenal in their car, I tend to think "Paranoid Wacko".

Uh, I don't think they were referencing the guns.

"The vehicle also had flashing emergency headlights, a siren and a public address system, the Patrol said"

And I don't disagree the reporting sucks. Were I the reporter, I'd certainly have asked him where the hell he was going with all that stuff. I'd also have asked whether there was ANY ammunition in the car. There's one gun bag there with ammo pockets, but no visible ammunition.

When I was in the military we were allowed to open the base range during certain hours if we took the class and adhered to all the rules. It wasn't abnormal for my entire shop to show up with a combined arsenal that could shame a third world army.

As far as being paranoid, anyone worth their salt doesn't carry multiple weapons that each have different ammunition requirements. From what I saw there were only 2 weapons there that could use the same ammo.

Sure, IowaBill.

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArtic...ia-290381-1.xml

SEATTLE (Reuters) - State troopers arrested Blues Traveler lead singer John Popper after finding handguns, rifles, a switchblade knife and drugs inside his car after it was stopped for speeding, officials said on Thursday.

Popper was a passenger in a Mercedes pulled over on Wednesday night for driving 179 kilometres per hour in eastern Washington state. The car was registered in Popper's name.

After troopers arrested Brian Gourgeois, the driver, for reckless driving, they detected the smell of marijuana and arrested the singer for drug possession.

Troopers searched the Mercedes sports utility vehicle and found weapons stashed in hidden compartments within the car. The state patrol recovered a total of 14 weapons including four rifles, nine handguns and a switchblade knife.

"The sheer amount of weapons and the modifications to the vehicle are not something we see everyday," said Washington State Patrol spokesman Jeff Sevigney, who added that none of the guns were illegally acquired.

Popper is known to be a gun enthusiast and told troopers he was a collector of weapons. As the overweight frontman for Blues Traveler, Popper composed and played the harmonica in "Run-Around," a song that won a Grammy Award in 1996.

George Couri, a manager for Blues Traveler, said Popper was driving back to western Washington from Austin, Texas and likes to visit gun ranges during long car rides.

"All of the weapons he owns are registered and are transported safely in a legally approved, locked cabinet in his vehicle," Couri said in a statement.

The vehicle was equipped with flashing emergency lights, a siren and an external public address system. Troopers also found night vision goggles and a Taser inside the car.

"Popper indicated to troopers that he had installed these items in his vehicle because (in the event of a natural disaster) he didn't want to be left behind," the Washington State Patrol said.

Popper and Gourgeois will be charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Popper could also face federal charges for possessing a vehicle with hidden compartments.

Is he the really Orwellian one?
Popper is known to be a gun enthusiast and told troopers he was a collector of weapons. As the overweight frontman for Blues Traveler, Popper composed and played the harmonica in "Run-Around," a song that won a Grammy Award in 1996.

Thanks for posting that. Yup, he's the Orwellian one alright.

Thanks for posting that. Yup, he's the Orwellian one alright.

Please! He's nowhere near the size and bullk of Orson.

Besides, Citizen Kane was done in black and white.

Popper's harps are NOT black and white.

There's a difference. They're SILVER and black.

Inside the black Mercedes SUV,

I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!

-Eric Cartman