Damn 3rd rounders

I'm upset with this. If Buffalo wanted to draft a RB, asking for the 2nd instead of the two 3rd's would've been such a better idea. Whose really worth taking in the later rounds?

If they use those in a part of a trade though for O say...Michael Turner...I'll change my opinion.

However, I think from a drafting advantage, this hurts us. Even if we didn't want to go get a RB.

Well, just going on last years draft where STARTER Simpson in the 4th, and potential STARTER in the 3rd Youbuty were picked up, I would say the later round picks can certainly be helpful. Also, I would not be suprised to see the bills take Lynch at 12, then trade back into the bottom of the first with that extra 3rd to take Timmons/Puz if they fall

did you just classify the 3rd round as a "later round" :thumbsup:

An extra 3rd this year and next both give us another 1st day pick to really get some talent, but even more it gives us the flexibility to move around in the draft for the next two years

And never mind Tom Brady in the 6th round, london fletcher as an UDFA, Marques colston as (almost) mr. irrelavent.

Face it, the draft is a gamble. sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesnt....but the more different numbers you cover up on the roulette board, the better chance you're going to hit it big.

And never mind Tom Brady in the 6th round, london fletcher as an UDFA, Marques colston as (almost) mr. irrelavent.

Face it, the draft is a gamble. sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesnt....but the more different numbers you cover up on the roulette board, the better chance you're going to hit it big.

Add to that our starting left tackle as another undrafted.

Ok. But how many often does a Tom Brady come along? I understand the draft is a gamble, and I'm not saying there is bad talent in the rounds outside of 1 and 2. I just believe that having the 2nd round picks would give us a lot more options and help fill the holes that we have better.

Ok. But how many often does a Tom Brady come along? I understand the draft is a gamble, and I'm not saying there is bad talent in the rounds outside of 1 and 2. I just believe that having the 2nd round picks would give us a lot more options and help fill the holes that we have better.

This why even if you got a first the Bills cannot and should not depend upon the draft for getting their starting RB. Good players tend to get drafted definitely but the key is every draftee is not gonna be a good player. The Bills are far more likely to get a good player if the acquire a proven NFL vet to start at RB than if they roll the dice and were to acquire a player in the first round at even the lofty draft levels used to acquire can't miss prospects like Ryan Leaf and Mike Williams.

Folks continually confuse the point I agree with that its easier to find a good RB late in the draft with the idea that even early draft selections have a significant and huge uncertainty that comes with them.

Given that Shaud Williams is the best RB under contract right now, even if one were to somehow acquire Adrian Peterson, there is still a strong possibility that Shaud Williams will be the best RB on the roster come opening day (though the Bills if they did this would still throw Peterson to the wolves and start him unless he was goshawful or there would be a lynching party fpr Marv).

Even if you draft a proven stud in the first round who is equivalent in talent to a Larry Johnson, Johnson gained all of 150 yards as a rookie and a bit over 500 his second year. Imagine if Marv made a great pick with the #12 and picked the equivalent of Larry Johnson but that we are screwed for at least a year because Shaud Williams is the best RB on the roster.

Folks throw around the concept that a mere draft choice (even the drafting of a great player) is equivalent to the hated Willis McGahee. Right now our roster simply sucks at RB when two days ago it was troubled but had possibilities. Today we still have possibilities (perhaps with even more possibilities as we now have a third and seventh rounder to work but the situation is even more troubled.

Marv was right to end his interview by saying we are not panicking. No one can reasonably celebrate if playing good football is your goal because we just created a huge need for ourselves at RB.