If this is true...

ExWNYer

"Hours after the trade was announced Thursday afternoon, ESPN.com learned McGahee will sign a new seven-year contract with Baltimore, the last two seasons of which are options years, that can be worth a total of $40.12 million. In terms of so-called "new money," the contract places McGahee among the NFL's five highest-paid running backs.

McGahee will receive an initial signing bonus of $7.5 million and subsequent option bonuses of $6 million after the 2007 season and $1.5 million following the 2008 season, for a total of $15 million. The base salaries are $595,000 (2007), $605,000 ('08), $620,000 ('09), $3.6 million ('10), $6 million ('11), $6.5 million ('12) and $7.2 million ('13)."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791831

Those kind of resources are better used elsewhere.

"Hours after the trade was announced Thursday afternoon, ESPN.com learned McGahee will sign a new seven-year contract with Baltimore, the last two seasons of which are options years, that can be worth a total of $40.12 million. In terms of so-called "new money," the contract places McGahee among the NFL's five highest-paid running backs.

McGahee will receive an initial signing bonus of $7.5 million and subsequent option bonuses of $6 million after the 2007 season and $1.5 million following the 2008 season, for a total of $15 million. The base salaries are $595,000 (2007), $605,000 ('08), $620,000 ('09), $3.6 million ('10), $6 million ('11), $6.5 million ('12) and $7.2 million ('13)."

More power to him if he got that kind of money. You're right, I'm glad the Bills didn't pay it because there are more glaring needs elsewhere. I just hope they have solid plans on a suitable replacement!

Personally, I wanted McGahee gone for whatever anyone was willing to give. I just don't like the guy and didn't like him being a Bill (and openly admit it might not have been the best move for the team talent-wise). And now that the numbers are all in place, I can't believe how well Marv did in this trade. I understand that the potential McGahee offers can be quite thrilling to think about if he ever started to live up to it, but how can you justify giving up 3 draft picks and paying top 5 salary for a RB that not only doesn't average 4 yards a carry, but didn't even reach the 1000 yards last season?

This may be a great trade for the Ravens if McGahee lives up to his potential, but wow....I would be pissed if Marv made a move like this.

The deal doesn't really phase me, because I was looking at Willis as a 2007 option, not considering him for 2008 and beyond. More power to him with all the money. It will be interesting to see how playing for a winner and with Ray-Ray will be balanced off with not having a contract year to work for. I predict he will have a very good year, but we won't cry over his absence and will be a better team in 2008 and beyond, and very likely better in 2007.