Willis is now seen as #2 in the Ravens presumed pecking order

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...sports-football

The Ravens have expressed interest in a trade for the Buffalo Bills' Willis McGahee, and Lewis has begun to set up visits, beginning with the Cleveland Browns.

Although neither the Ravens nor Lewis has ruled out a return, the tone was drastically different from last Wednesday, when the Ravens cut Lewis to avoid paying him a $5 million roster bonus.

"At this point, I'm less optimistic than I was last week," Lewis' agent, Mitch Frankel, said yesterday.

The Ravens have maintained that their preference is to keep Lewis and have a standing one-year offer on the table to the franchise's all-time leading rusher.

"They have made an original offer that hasn't changed and one that Jamal won't accept," Frankel said.

It is believed the next candidate on the Ravens' running back list is McGahee.

It probably would take a first-day draft pick to acquire McGahee, who has averaged 1,122 yards and eight touchdowns in three seasons with the Bills. One possibility for the Ravens is reuniting McGahee with his starting fullback, Daimon Shelton, a free agent whom the Ravens also have shown interest in.

Buffalo appears willing to part with McGahee immediately because it brought in free-agent running backs Dominic Rhodes and Chris Brown for visits yesterday.

At this point, the presumed pecking order for the Ravens is Lewis, McGahee and Corey Dillon.

Compared to Lewis, McGahee runs with similar power, is two years younger at 25 but is more expensive. McGahee will earn $2.15 million in 2007 (the final year of his contract) and is seeking an extension.

A first-round pick out of the University of Miami in 2003, McGahee is coming off his worst season, rushing for 990 yards and six touchdowns. In his first two seasons, he averaged 91.3 yards in games he started.

The Bills are listening to trade offers for McGahee because he is expected to be a holdout in training camp if he doesn't get a contract extension.

McGahee also didn't endear himself to Buffalo this offseason with a run of bad publicity. He was hit with his third paternity suit in two years and then suggested in an interview with Penthouse magazine that the Bills should move to Toronto (though he later said his comments were taken out of context).

If the Ravens acquire McGahee, it would be logical to bring in Shelton to replace Ovie Mughelli, who signed with the Atlanta Falcons.

A 10-year veteran who has played for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Chicago Bears and Bills, Shelton fits the Ravens' fullback mold. He is a mauling-type blocker at 6 feet, 262 pounds.

But the Ravens' priority is finding a starting running back. The hope is to have that spot resolved this week because a thin free-agent group is dwindling.

Besides Lewis and McGahee, the other options would be Dillon, Brown and perhaps Rhodes. A free agent from the Indianapolis Colts, Rhodes met with the Bills yesterday and the New York Giants on Monday. He is then expected to travel to Tampa Bay and Oakland.

Quite interesting. Would be a smart move for them, having a backfield consisting of two people who've worked together.

Considering that they pick toward the end of each round, I don't think we should make the deal without getting at least their 2nd rounder -- or a player.

That's a good point. If we get the Ravens 2nd rounder, it will virtually be like a high 3rd round pick.

which would not be enough for Willis.

Willis is more valuable to teh Bills on the field than a low 3rd round pick.

Willis is a proven starting caliber RB witha big chip on his shoulder in a contract year.

Bills should keep him.

Willis is a proven starting caliber RB witha big chip on his shoulder in a contract year.

Bills should keep him.

I agree. Keep him and let him earn his contract (not from us).

Bills should keep him.

If the Bills have no intention of keeping Willis past this year (which it appears they don't) I'd much rather take a low 2nd round pick now than to get absolutely nothing for him next year. One year of Willis does not equal more than a 2nd round pick. Having Willis on this team, as opposed to another RB, is not going to equal playoffs next year. Willis is an average runner, a below average blocker and a below average receiver. Hell, I'd be surprised if Marv could get a 2 for him.

If the Bills have no intention of keeping Willis past this year (which it appears they don't) I'd much rather take a low 2nd round pick now than to get absolutely nothing for him next year. One year of Willis does not equal more than a 2nd round pick. Having Willis on this team, as opposed to another RB, is not going to equal playoffs next year. Willis is an average runner, a below average blocker and a below average receiver. Hell, I'd be surprised if Marv could get a 2 for him.

Except when he plays the Jets. Then he truly is an elite runner. And if he wants an elite contract, I expect to see the Jets McGahee for 16 games next year. Running behind a mammoth OL. 1700 yards and 12 TDs are not unreasonable if he plays that way. If he does this, we make the playoffs.

Except when he plays the Jets. Then he truly is an elite runner.

That could be, perhaps, because the Jets aren't very good at stopping the run. In 2005 they allowed 136 yards per game on the ground and in 2006 they allowed 130 yards per game. Those aren't good numbers.

Although neither the Ravens nor Lewis has ruled out a return, the tone was drastically different from last Wednesday, when the Ravens cut Lewis to avoid paying him a $5 million roster bonus.

[...]

The Ravens have maintained that their preference is to keep Lewis and have a standing one-year offer on the table to the franchise's all-time leading rusher.

:lol:

So they basically !@#$ed Lewis out of five million. Why on earth would ANYONE sign with a franchise that treats their players like that?

:censored:

So they basically !@#$ed Lewis out of five million. Why on earth would ANYONE sign with a franchise that treats their players like that?

It's definitely a class-less act on the Ravens part. And now they have the gall to ask him to negotiate with him and convey that he is their presumed first choice.

Quite interesting. Would be a smart move for them, having a backfield consisting of two people who've worked together.

Yeah, why not? Like they say, two guys that can blow a blitz pickup are better than one.

I have little doubt as to Willis' capabilities. When he's trying, he can blow somebody up, he can rock the stiff-arm, he can turn the corner nicely. When he's not, he's worse than Chris Brown or Rhodes or an aging Dillon. Sometime this year or the season before, Willis stopped giving it his all. I know WM had the rib injury and that sucks, but even though TH was an inferior player in terms of his gifts, I never doubted Travis Henry's effort on game day. Can't say the same for Willis.

Daimon Shelton sucks and should have been gone two seasons ago. I hope the Bills are looking for a real fullback like Leonard this year.