How much tampering going on??

I find it interesting that every year on the first day of free agency, a number of high name and high $$ value players sign contracts. This year I'd place Clements, Fletcher, and Dockery in that list for starters. Always makes me wonder why would a player visit with only one team and sign without know what other teams may give him? Unless, are their agents and teams all talking pre March 1st (i.e. tampering) as to what the value of these players might be and who will give them how much. So the players then conveniently go and visit the team that told them they'd give him the most and then sign right away? Am I being completely naive in assuming that isn't exactly what is going on?

I find it interesting that every year on the first day of free agency, a number of high name and high $$ value players sign contracts. This year I'd place Clements, Fletcher, and Dockery in that list for starters. Always makes me wonder why would a player visit with only one team and sign without know what other teams may give him? Unless, are their agents and teams all talking pre March 1st (i.e. tampering) as to what the value of these players might be and who will give them how much. So the players then conveniently go and visit the team that told them they'd give him the most and then sign right away? Am I being completely naive in assuming that isn't exactly what is going on?

I don't think there is a lot of negotiation going on...but I do think there is a couple of questions about what a guy is asking for and whether or not the team can accomodate the price...if so they talk about connecting. If the player wants to shop more than they probably never get to the connecting part.

I read somewhere that theres a lot of offers that are faxed at 12:01 am.......then they go to that city the next morning.....sign it and its done......bingo!

Also in the case of Nate Clements or London Fletcher, the team probably encouraged the players agents to go out and talk to teams prior to FA to get an idea of the type of contract these players are likely to get and to decide if they want to match it or not.

Both were UFA and their current team did not show much interest in signing them. What harm comes if these guys pre-negotiate with other teams behind the doors.