Dielman remains in SD

ESPN and probably others are reporting Dielman instructed his agent to get something done with SD. Said he wanted to stay. Of course, getting to block for LT and most likely Michael Turner next season had to have something to do with it. It's great to see someone remain with their team for less money, amidst all the chaos of free agency. Guard were at a premium. Gotta respect that. Thoughts?

ESPN and probably others are reporting Dielman instructed his agent to get something done with SD. Said he wanted to stay. Of course, getting to block for LT and most likely Michael Turner next season had to have something to do with it. It's great to see someone remain with their team for less money, amidst all the chaos of free agency. Guard were at a premium. Gotta respect that. Thoughts?

I don't see any hometown discount. He got the same money as Steinbach or Dockery did. 18 mil guaranteed, 24 mil in first three years. 40 mil in six years instead of 49 in seven.

OLG Kris Dielman reportedly turned down more than $10 million in additional compensation to stay put with the Chargers. Dielman had what was believed to be a seven-year, $50 million offer on the table from the Seahawks but told his agent to go back to the Chargers and work out a deal because Seattle “just didn’t feel right.” Negotiations with the Chargers had broken down in November, but San Diego general manager A.J. Smith called Dielman on Thursday to let him know he wanted Dielman to stay. With team president Dean Spanos getting involved, the two sides worked out a six-year pact that will bring him a guaranteed $17 million in the first two years and could be worth $39 million. Dielman is the 21st core player on the roster to be signed through at least 2009, opting to stay with the team that finished 2006 with an NFL-best 14-2 regular-season record

AS PER-

PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY

I think it was fairly well known that Dielman truly wanted to stay in San Diego and that San Diego absolutely was willing to do whatever it would reasonably take to make him stay. In fact, that's one of the reasons I believe the Bills were so wise to go after Dockery and not waste their time sizing up Dielman.

I went to two Bills games this season and one was the SD game. Sitting in Section 123, I saw LT break through the line and up the SD sideline past Ko Simpson for a 51 yard scamper. And you know who was blocking on that play? Kris Dielman. It's scary that SD has retained so many players through 2009. Despite their coaching changes I believe they'll be around for awhile and not register one season followed by a few bad ones.

Dielman staying is a good sign that decent guys are still around. The Seahawks are a far cry from where the Chargers are. They couldn't keep Hutchinson (sure the poison pill contract) but Walter Jones is getting old, Alexander is two years removed from his MVP season, and Darrell Jackson is being shopped publicly. Not good for business when another premier player turns you down.