Just a few thoughts on te and rb position....

billrooter

About a month ago i posted how high i was on olsen the te out of miami,and asked the question if he fell to us in the 2nd round should we grab him. Unfortunately theres no way in hell it's going to happen now after the combine he has been having 4.45 and 4.47times (4.51 officially) and he's shown great hands, people seemed down on the guy. I totally based my likeness to him on what he has done on the field but i thought he would be lighter than the 250 lbs or so he logged in at,if the bills could trade down some spots and grab him and get an extra pick i would be for it though i know it's not a huge need!

The running back position is completely a different story, i have been sick of Mcgahee for the last three years to me he hasn't shown consistent heart and is simply a dumbass, i realize it's his contract year and he will most likely play better,but i hope they can trade him. The bills need a running back who can do it all run, catch, and receive, a guy who has vision and can cut on a dime ala thurman. With Marv being here and Mcgahee shooting of at the mouth i think it's possibillity now that we can get a 3rd rounder for him anything more would be icing on the cake. I hope the bills can fill the majority of there holes through free agency mainly being the ol which i don't keep track of it i hope there is viable guards out there besides steinbach he seems to exspensive for the bills means of cap dollars. My ultimate offseason would be trading McGahee for a third getting olsen at say 18 and picking up an extra pick, getting a rb in the 2nd or 3rd i like nebraskas jackson i don't think he's a speed demon but like his skills (i am nebraska bias). That leaves guard maybe 2, an extra dt and and cb to address in either the draft or free agency, i just hope marv can get it done with the way they are supposedly going to spend the money, if he can we can contend next year. Thanks for reading and responsding in advance i have a tendency to ramble on!

About a month ago i posted how high i was on olsen the te out of miami,and asked the question if

The running back position is completely a different story, i have been sick of Mcgahee for the last three years to me he hasn't shown consistent heart and is simply a dumbass, i realize it's his contract year and he will most likely play better,but i hope they can trade him. The bills need a running back who can do it all run, catch, and receive, a guy who has vision and can cut on a dime ala thurman. With Marv being here and Mcgahee shooting of at the mouth i think it's possibillity now that we can get a 3rd rounder for him anything more would be icing on the cake. I hope the bills can fill the majority of there holes through free agency mainly being the ol which i don't keep track of it i hope there is viable guards out there besides steinbach he seems to exspensive for the bills means of cap dollars. My ultimate offseason would be trading McGahee for a third getting olsen at say 18 and picking up an extra pick, getting a rb in the 2nd or 3rd i like nebraskas jackson i don't think he's a speed demon but like his skills (i am nebraska bias). That leaves guard maybe 2, an extra dt and and cb to address in either the draft or free agency, i just hope marv can get it done with the way they are supposedly going to spend the money, if he can we can contend next year. Thanks for reading and responsding in advance i have a tendency to ramble on!

If WM is causing some internal player dissension we do not know about then I say trade him as well. However, if all he is doing is freaking out some fans who seem to care more his idiotic baby-making and lack of parental morality or seem concerned about his crack financial advice, then ignore the soap opera inclined and focus on the field.

Willis had disappointing production since he pronounced he was one of the elite RBs in mid 06. Nevertheless, the key to this is that the Bills have nothing on the roster to replace him (those who claim Anthony Thomas is a better RB simply choose to ignore the fact he has not gained even a thousand yards and actually held down a lead RB role in the NFL since 2003. He is a very good back-up RB who did an outstanding job filling in for the #1 for a couple of games in 06. However last year was HIS FIRST SEASON EVER playing in all 16 games (much less starting all 16) and having a "back-up" (actually definitely a potential starter) for him would be essential.

In addition, some folks are all sweaty over Marshawn Lynch. Fine, but again reality says that though the expectation is reasonably (in this current market) that a 1st round choice should contribute immediately, the facts are an RB draft choice in the 1st MIGHT be your starter, but well (particularly since we are not talking even a top 10 talent) well might not. Even a definite stud RB drafted in the 1st like Larry Johnson gained all of 500 yards in his SECOND year, after producing a might 100 and change his first year.

Lynch is a risky answer and really would put this O in limbo yet again. If I am RJ I am pretty pissed if the Bills go for a rookie as our starting RB as even if lightening strikes and he is a stud runner, I better be set to really run for my life as virtually all rookie RBs need to learn how to do a pro blitz pick-up.

If Lynch i your answer then get ready for likely painful 07 even if things go well with him.

WM should be traded if he is a cancer on the team, but there are few signs of this from his fellow teammates and merely the whines of a few folks who seem to want to or are worried about who their sisters sleep with WM.

If he is gone, it appears the Giants for example MIGHT be willing to part with a late 1st day choice when actually for football purposes we need to do better than getting a mere 1st rounder to have reasonable hopes of filling the hole left at #1 RB.

Until I hear some word of his being a cancer for his teammates, I simply hope the Bills are spreading and allowing a fib to spread about some intense team RB desire (as opposed to fan soap opera based RB desire) in order to fool the enemy teams about our true draft needs.

I realize everbodys thinking it's his contract year why not keep him and let him perform, but i also see if we can get a 4th or better for him when he is very likely gone next year why not? I don't like the guy, but that no means suggests he's a cancer in the locker room i just don't see the consistentency and heart from the guy that all great runners have . Pyrite would you want him back if he had a great year next year knowing the kind of money he will command, i wouldn't i don't see him as a complete running back and i don't ever think he will be. 95 percent of the best rbs ever have been 5'9-5"10, 210-220 lbs guys that can cut and are nimble enough to be a threat out of the backfield and i want one in that mode!

I realize everbodys thinking it's his contract year why not keep him and let him perform, but i also see if we can get a 4th or better for him when he is very likely gone next year why not? I don't like the guy, but that no means suggests he's a cancer in the locker room i just don't see the consistentency and heart from the guy that all great runners have . Pyrite would you want him back if he had a great year next year knowing the kind of money he will command, i wouldn't i don't see him as a complete running back and i don't ever think he will be. 95 percent of the best rbs ever have been 5'9-5"10, 210-220 lbs guys that can cut and are nimble enough to be a threat out of the backfield and i want one in that mode!

I'll tell you why not: because we don't have anyone else to be our starting halfback. Thats a bit of a problem.

The thought is this: Willis performs best when he is motivated. No better motivation than a contract year. Let him have a great season, tag him, then trade him when he has some value (or at least more than he has now). Potential upside: First Round pick. Potential Downside: Willis has a bad year and we do not get a 4th round pick.

the whole "tag him and trade him" thing is NOT as easily pulled off as TD did it. if he has a good year and we tag him and no one wants to give up the draft picks, then we are stuck overpaying him with a bunch of other guys we NEED to re-sign.

i wish we could forget that that move ever happened.

I'll tell you why not: because we don't have anyone else to be our starting halfback. Thats a bit of a problem.

hey this is my opinion nothing more, but isn't most of the time the case you don't have anything better at the Time , hell thats what free agency and the draft are for. If the bills sit on there hands and don't TRY to improve and make something happen it's not going too!

Fullback is a dying position. And Olsen reminds me of another Everett. Chris Brown said he looks too skinny to be a TE and looks more like a posession receiver.

Olsen was nothing like Everett in college, Everett played one year at miami if i am not mistaken and olson has been seeing major time 3-4 years i think even starting! I thought he looked linear also but he actually weighed in at over 250, also everett ran in the 4.7's and olsen 4.5. I have mixed emotions i like the guy but realize we have so many other needs but feel that a legit receiving target at tight end or out of the backfield would help losman alot.

Regarding the TE position, I heard something on the NFL Network I totally agree with. Unless you can line up a guy in the slot, put him in motion, or move him around to create mismatches (see Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales) it isn't worth drafting a guy on the first day. Period. The TE position has changed.

Regarding the RB position, we should re-sign the A-Train and if we can get a #2 or #3 for McGahee other than Bush from Louisville who has been mentioned Antonio Pittman from Ohio State was clocked at 4.44/4.42 at the combine. He has some interesting skills.

I know a lot of people are in love with the FB Brian Leonard of Rutgers (he ran a 4.49). He's going to be interesting to watch as an NFL player. He's a good runner and an excellent receiver. If you used him in combo with a true lead back he could be the next Mike Alstott.

If WM is causing some internal player dissension we do not know about then I say trade him as well. However, if all he is doing is freaking out some fans who seem to care more his idiotic baby-making and lack of parental morality or seem concerned about his crack financial advice, then ignore the soap opera inclined and focus on the field.

Willis had disappointing production since he pronounced he was one of the elite RBs in mid 06. Nevertheless, the key to this is that the Bills have nothing on the roster to replace him (those who claim Anthony Thomas is a better RB simply choose to ignore the fact he has not gained even a thousand yards and actually held down a lead RB role in the NFL since 2003. He is a very good back-up RB who did an outstanding job filling in for the #1 for a couple of games in 06. However last year was HIS FIRST SEASON EVER playing in all 16 games (much less starting all 16) and having a "back-up" (actually definitely a potential starter) for him would be essential.

In addition, some folks are all sweaty over Marshawn Lynch. Fine, but again reality says that though the expectation is reasonably (in this current market) that a 1st round choice should contribute immediately, the facts are an RB draft choice in the 1st MIGHT be your starter, but well (particularly since we are not talking even a top 10 talent) well might not. Even a definite stud RB drafted in the 1st like Larry Johnson gained all of 500 yards in his SECOND year, after producing a might 100 and change his first year.

Lynch is a risky answer and really would put this O in limbo yet again. If I am RJ I am pretty pissed if the Bills go for a rookie as our starting RB as even if lightening strikes and he is a stud runner, I better be set to really run for my life as virtually all rookie RBs need to learn how to do a pro blitz pick-up.

If Lynch i your answer then get ready for likely painful 07 even if things go well with him.

WM should be traded if he is a cancer on the team, but there are few signs of this from his fellow teammates and merely the whines of a few folks who seem to want to or are worried about who their sisters sleep with WM.

If he is gone, it appears the Giants for example MIGHT be willing to part with a late 1st day choice when actually for football purposes we need to do better than getting a mere 1st rounder to have reasonable hopes of filling the hole left at #1 RB.

Until I hear some word of his being a cancer for his teammates, I simply hope the Bills are spreading and allowing a fib to spread about some intense team RB desire (as opposed to fan soap opera based RB desire) in order to fool the enemy teams about our true draft needs.

I think Joe Cribbs, Thurman Thomas and Terry Miller did okay as rooki RB's for the Bills. Marshawn Lynch has every bit the talent a Joe Cribbs had and, unfortunately, those of you not on the West Coast didn't get to see him, he is a very, very, good back and I think he would be making those critical third and shorts, thus keeping drives going on and making a 7-9 team a possible playoff contender. I am not saying we should take him but I would be pretty darn excited if we did

hey this is my opinion nothing more, but isn't most of the time the case you don't have anything better at the Time , hell thats what free agency and the draft are for. If the bills sit on there hands and don't TRY to improve and make something happen it's not going too!

The way I see the Bills right now is that we have alot of positions that are adequate, but could still use some help. DE, DT, OG, RB, WR, CB, LB...none of these positions are really gaping holes at the moment (or at least can be plugged with low-profile free agents). Therefore our draft strategy can really be to just pick the best player on the board at any of these positions. Thats a great spot for us to be in and puts us in a great situation to pick up a true playmaker. Whether its Dwayne Jarrett, Amobi Okoye, Jamaal Anderson, etc...our braintrust can just pick the player they like best, and mostly disregard what position they play, excluding safeties and quarterbacks. Thats where every team wants to be on draft day.

Now we have an above average, solid running back with one year left on his contract...and frighteningly little behind him on the depth chart. To trade Willis now for nothing more than the huge question mark a draft pick would present would mean upsetting that balance we have. It would instantly open a gaping hole at our halfback position, which we can't fill in free agency this year. That means we would be, almost without a doubt, locked into drafting a halfback somewhere in the first 2 rounds. Trading McGahee would immediately take the Bills out of that optimal drafting postion of being able to pick the best player available and force us to focus on one position.

I just don't think thats whats best for the team.

Regarding the TE position, I heard something on the NFL Network I totally agree with. Unless you can line up a guy in the slot, put him in motion, or move him around to create mismatches (see Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales) it isn't worth drafting a guy on the first day. Period. The TE position has changed.

Regarding the RB position, we should re-sign the A-Train and if we can get a #2 or #3 for McGahee other than Bush from Louisville who has been mentioned Antonio Pittman from Ohio State was clocked at 4.44/4.42 at the combine. He has some interesting skills.

I know a lot of people are in love with the FB Brian Leonard of Rutgers (he ran a 4.49). He's going to be interesting to watch as an NFL player. He's a good runner and an excellent receiver. If you used him in combo with a true lead back he could be the next Mike Alstott.

solid post man. I agree with most of that, especially the analysis of Leonard. I do have to say that you might have to use a day 1 pick to get a Daniel Graham/ Ben Watson/ Jeremy Shockey type. Antonio Gates is the exception to the rule, though i think Peters, if he didn't tranistion over to RT (then LT) would have been a nightmare to matchup on TE due to his combo of athleticism and size.

I and I hope all other Bills fans also advocate improving the team rather than sitting on your hands/

However, I do not advocate that we do something stupid in the hopes things will get better.

Stupid to me is simply getting rid of a player who his teammates have not given much if any sense that he is a big problem for them simply because folks do not like his off field behavior and organizational management comments and particularly when folks only offer "maybes" which sometimes succeed (the Thurman, Cribbs, suggestions) but sometimes do not produce as rookies or end up as busts overall even when they are drafted in the first round or even far higher in the draft (Moulds as a first couple of years non-producer who became a stud player or Mike Williams as a fourth drafted bust if you want Bills examples, Larry Johnson if you want an RB example of a stud player who had a couple of nothing first two seasons).

The situation makes even less sense in terms of improving this team since it appears the Giants want to give nothing more than a second day choice for him and MIGHT be negotiated into giving us a 3rd round choice. If folks suggest Lynch as the replacement AND one thinks positively and this player whom we might even be able to trade down and still get hits the ground and produces as a runner immediately (we will simply ignore whether this rookie will also be able to do blitz pick-up like a vet though I doubt JP Losman will ignore this issue as he runs for his life) though all this woulda/coulda/shoulda works out we also are deciding to forgo the draft as a chance to pick up the player in the trenches we need as this RB 1st round choice pushes our ability to fill these pressing needs into FA or further down in the draft.

Like it or not, trading McGahee for the highest probable draft pick we could get for him simply sets this team backward next year even if things work out like we would want them to with Lynch (possible but not a certainty and probably not even likely).

On the other hand, I think Denver has proven that RB is the easiest position to replace as they have had a revolving door with much success. With one or two improvements on the line almost any schmo with NFL speed could look good. The loss of WM going off-tackle on 1st and 10 and then coming back to the huddle 2nd and 12 will be GREATLY missed but I think he can and should be replaced with someone with a little more desire, which would include almost any RB not named Clarett. Get rid of him.

I didn't type sit on my hands,as i am sure you realize! As has been stated in this thread rb is one of the easier positions to draft with that being said replacing willis is not a sho-in, it might not work out. Who says the giants are the only team interested if the other teams in the league value WM as much as alot of people on this board do the bills should have half the teams in the league calling them. If we decide or are stuck keeping willis' which is very likely i really like Brandon jackson of nebraska, he only ran a 4.57 but hasgood hands out of the backfield and hits the hole nicely and should be a late 4th-6th round pick,i think he would be worth a look again just my opinion :worthy: