If spikes leaves

K-Gun10

Joey Porter? the steelers might release the LB why, it makes no sense to me but a heck of a guy i would love to have, but wouldnt come cheap.

Free agency starts a week from today and the Steelers still have not made their intentions known about linebacker Joey Porter. Coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday he has talked to Porter but gave little indication what plans he may have for him.

-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Joey Porter? the steelers might release the LB why, it makes no sense to me but a heck of a guy i would love to have, but wouldnt come cheap.

Free agency starts a week from today and the Steelers still have not made their intentions known about linebacker Joey Porter. Coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday he has talked to Porter but gave little indication what plans he may have for him.

-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If a coach that studied under Monte Kiffin and the Tampa Cover 2 doesn't want Porter why would we?

Make no mistake, Porter's release from the Steelers is for a reason-he's no longer the player he once was.

Accoding to ESPN Insider:

Porter on chopping block?

Feb. 23 Don't be surprised if the Steelers release Porter in the next week or so, writes ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. Porter's productivity tailed off considerably in 2006, and his contract status could become a problem. Porter is due a $1 million roster bonus on March 6 and his scheduled base salary for 2007, the final season of his current deal, is $4 million.

Word around the league is that Porter, whose forte has always been his explosive quickness coming off the edge, has lost a half-step. "He isn't the same guy," said one rival AFC North coach this week. "He's not a guy anymore where you say, 'OK, I have to game-plan around him.' It'll be interesting to see what [the Steelers] do with him."

I'm not sold on Porter. He's 30 now and while that ain't old it's not young. I won't even make the F-B comparison, but is he worth pursuing if there are other options available?