This is not the season to spend on FA

Git'er Done

The Bills are not going to win the Super Bowl this season. Even if they maxed out and amortized bonuses.

First you make the playoffs. You might even wait until you have at least won a playoff game. THEN you spend. THEN players want to come to Buffalo.

If the Bills win a Super Bowl soon, there will be very few of the guys from say 2 years ago on the team (I don't mean JP and Lee Evans, I mean the backups, and say Chris Kelsay level guys).

JP and Evans will be in their prime in a couple years. You have to control spending, build up the expectations in the organization, keep the staff together....so many things have to be balanced( there are 31 other organizations all trying to put it together, it's not easy). Then the team will be ready.

Timing is everything. The Patriots are winding down (I don't count them out completely, but a new age is dawning), the Bills will be ready in 2 years.

Marv knows what he is doing.

Another note.

Drafting a running back either this year or next could give the Bills the trio that is almost mandatory to win a SB. Willis is just holding the fort down (I think McGahee is fine. I'm no Willis-hater, I just think they need a "clutch" player at RB, which Willis isn't.

Where the hell have you been? <_< Good post, but we still gotta bring in a couple solid building blocks, just not landmark contracts.

Well thank you.

I agree that they still need to sign some free agents (it's almost impossible to have a decent roster without signing some because you lose guys every year), but not the big signings.

Players want money of course, but they also want to be on a team that is headed in the right direction (at least the guys I would want on my team). The Bills still need to show that to the rest of the league (they haven't even been on national TV, most players in the league haven't seen a Bills game in years, they only have hearsay to form an opinion of the organization). They hear things like "Buffalo didn't sell out", " Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs in years", and of course " the Bills GM is a geriatric".

I think after this season they will have a bit of a buzz. I also think that if the Bills appear on the cusp, Ralph Wilson will be willing to play around the cap a bit.

By the by, I have posted a few times, but I don't get many responses.

Take that as a compliment. No, seriously. Most of the threads that get the hits/responses have either a debatable point or a "your an idiot" component to them. On the other hand, a well-reasoned and coherently presented post is more likely to have people read it, agree with it, but quietly move on without posting a response...

Great points! There is a prevalent (and incorrect) line of thinking that says 1. Money is the only factor involved in a player's decision and 2. Every team's money is viewed the same way. I used to ask the ND football players that I knew where they would want to play in the NFL. They all said things like "Atlanta, Dallas, Miami." When I would tell them that I was a Bills fan, they almost unanimously told me that Buffalo was the last place in the league they would want to go. Now 90% of these dudes never even got drafted, but the sentiment is unchanged. Location IS a factor. Reputation IS a factor. Popular players (Vick) ARE factors. And obviously, success is a factor.

Right now $1 to play for the Buffalo Bills is worth less than $1 to play for most other teams. Now there is nothing we can do about the weather or the stigma of having a boring city, but there are factors within our control. You did a very good job of outlining that.

Posts that make sense never get the attention they deserve.

The Bills are not going to win the Super Bowl this season. Even if they maxed out and amortized bonuses.

First you make the playoffs. You might even wait until you have at least won a playoff game. THEN you spend. THEN players want to come to Buffalo.

If the Bills win a Super Bowl soon, there will be very few of the guys from say 2 years ago on the team (I don't mean JP and Lee Evans, I mean the backups, and say Chris Kelsay level guys).

JP and Evans will be in their prime in a couple years. You have to control spending, build up the expectations in the organization, keep the staff together....so many things have to be balanced( there are 31 other organizations all trying to put it together, it's not easy). Then the team will be ready.

Timing is everything. The Patriots are winding down (I don't count them out completely, but a new age is dawning), the Bills will be ready in 2 years.

Another note.

Drafting a running back either this year or next could give the Bills the trio that is almost mandatory to win a SB. Willis is just holding the fort down (I think McGahee is fine. I'm no Willis-hater, I just think they need a "clutch" player at RB, which Willis isn't.

How many seasons is it now that this gets said? The Patriots have to fall at some point? Why? Brady is still young and has plenty of football left. They have the best coach in football, a great scouting staff and a GM that can pull it all together.

In two years? If the Bills are still in Buffalo, they will be going on yet another new coach, looking yet again for their franchise QB and crying poor as always.

The Pats <_< The Bills are much closer to the Cardinals and Lions. At least those teams haven't given up.

How many seasons is it now that this gets said? The Patriots have to fall at some point? Why? Brady is still young and has plenty of football left. They have the best coach in football, a great scouting staff and a GM that can pull it all together.

In two years? If the Bills are still in Buffalo, they will be going on yet another new coach, looking yet again for their franchise QB and crying poor as always.

The Pats <_< The Bills are much closer to the Cardinals and Lions. At least those teams haven't given up.

I noted that I didn't count the Patriots out just yet, but I feel that the gap is closing. They have been the best organization in the NFL (perhaps in all professional sports) for awhile now, my hats off to them. I think Brady is masterful, unbelievable, and I even like his public persona.

You're right. The Bills might not win a Super Bowl with any of the current line-up (in fact the odds are against it). I post what I think is the best way to get to the Super Bowl given the current situation, and comment on whether or not I think the Bills are making the right decisions.

You are truly despondent. I am pissed too, but I like MOST of what I see from the new regime. Again, there are 31 other organizations, and thousands of people working on improving THEIR team.

It's the Bills organization against the F***in' world! And it ain't easy.....

Wow way to be optimistic

We missed you DeLuca BTW

Another note.

Thanks for the voice of reason. I've held off with responses herein because this board is morphing into the suicide watch as both Free Agency and Draft Day approach. Jeez Louise, people, try some decaf.

The Pats ARE winding down. Not next year, not overnight, but time takes its toll, and the gap is indeed narrowing. Even the JP-Haters out there have to admit the Bills played a damn good game in Foxboro - a stupid safety aside. What I liked about that game was that the Bills came in fearless, and couldn't care less about what the national media (or posters on this board) had to say about their chances. Next year will be better.

Does Marv know what he's doing? No one on this board can realistically stand up and say that last year's draft was a bust. Anyone who does is merely arguing for the sake of being a contrarian. Just like everyone else, I choked on my Molson when Whitner's name was called. Hey Marv......nice shooting. My only hope for this coming draft is that I want to be thrilled with our first pick. Okoye? Super! Brown? Super! Just don't draft a punter....and I don't think he will. There's a reason those boys are doing their job, and the rest of us are posting on fan boards.

Somebody on this board had a great statement along the lines of "Great teams are built in April, not in March". I don't care if FA comes and goes without a "splash". Keep the powder dry until April, and get your money's worth. And that means re-upping those like Evans, JP and Schoebel who have proven their worth.

Another note.

just like you said