Marty Schottenheimer fired!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fired

Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Statement from Chargers President Dean Spanos

“Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers.

“This decision was so hard because Marty has been both a friend and valued coach of our team. But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire Charger organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver a Super Bowl trophy to San Diego. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure. On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all.

“My decision means that our organization will be obligated to pay the last year of Marty Schottenheimer’s contract and will begin an intense search for a new head coach at this relatively late date, but these are sacrifices that I believe are necessary to give the Chargers the best possible chance to win on the field this season.

“Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007.”

###

Read that last graf closely. When he decided to move ahead with Schotty, he expected the core of the coaching staff to remain intact... even though Marty was going to be a lame-duck HC going into next season?!?!?

Read that last graf closely. When he decided to move ahead with Schotty, he expected the core of the coaching staff to remain intact... even though Marty was going to be a lame-duck HC going into next season?!?!?

really how stupid was that? they kept the guy they didn't want thinking this was how to keep the guys they did want. and the opposite happened. if they were going that route (which was flawed in the 1st place) they should have at least made it a package deal amongst the 3 of them with commitments they would all stay next season, rather than just signing marty in isolation. did they really think w/ a) chargers 14 & 2 record, b) the number of coaching vacancies in the league and c) the lack of respect for marty that d) no one would touch the SD assistants?

what a mess

really how stupid was that? they kept the guy they didn't want thinking this was how to keep the guys they did want. and the opposite happened. if they were going that route (which was flawed in the 1st place) they should have at least made it a package deal amongst the 3 of them with commitments they would all stay next season, rather than just signing marty in isolation. did they really think w/ a) chargers 14 & 2 record, b) the number of coaching vacancies in the league and c) the lack of respect for marty that d) no one would touch the SD assistants?

what a mess

Right on Bro

Although IMO Marty is a quality coach, theres just certain aspects of his coaching that lend themselves to a team not being poised for a stretch run.

I believe currently 4 head coaches have worked directly with Schottenheimer: Cameron, Dungy, Herm Edwards and Cowher if im not mistaken

Pete Carroll

No chance in hell Carroll leaves the cushy gig at USC to go back into pro ball. He's king of the hill at USC and at this juncture can do little wrong in the eyes of the school, where an NFL job is so messed up, they can give you a one-year extension, and fire you a month later just because.

Agreed, the timing is incredibly bad and stupid. But the fact remains that if something unheard of didn't happen, which is Wade Phillips being named coach of the Cowboys, Marty would very likely still be there. That was the last straw apparently. Marty probably or at least might have survived the Cameron move to the Dolphins, the Chudzinski move to the Browns as both of those were great promotions for his coaches and couldn't have been helped. He may even have survived the recent Manusky move to the 49ers which was also a huge promotion. If anything, that shows he was doing a good job with his coaches. But now that Wade left, and they are down to the bottom of the barrel, they knew they were in trouble. He was partially, if not mostly, a victim of his success as much as failure.

No chance in hell Carroll leaves the cushy gig at USC to go back into pro ball. He's king of the hill at USC and at this juncture can do little wrong in the eyes of the school, where an NFL job is so messed up, they can give you a one-year extension, and fire you a month later just because.

Probably right...but even Spanos isn't cooky enough to do this without a back-up plan---Fassell, Cottrell (DC) and Jim Caldwell (OC) (Colts) might stabilize this mess..it actually makes our situation from last year look sane...