Cbssportsline.com thinks we will get Dwayne Jarrett

I got him in a trade. Don't remember who I had to give up. But he was one of the people who helped he win it all. THANK YOU COLSTON!

Good pickup!

I know some owners were getting nervous he couldn't keep up the great pace so they made the mistake of trading him.

Man- that would have been sweet to get him on the Bills!! What a combo Evans and Colston would be!!! Perfect!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good pickup!

I know some owners were getting nervous he couldn't keep up the great pace so they made the mistake of trading him.

Man- that would have been sweet to get him on the Bills!! What a combo Evans and Colston would be!!! Perfect!!

MAYBE we would trade Willis to the Saints for him.

Just kidding. Even I know the Saints wouldn't make that trade.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9961542

We need a DT and I've been saying that for 4 months now and I don't plan on stopping until draft day.

god i hope so. this team desperately needs:

- better third down conversion percentage;

- better red zone performance;

- tall, physical receiver whose effectively always open given mismatches against smaller DBs in blitzing situations;

- a strong #2 to take the pressure off evans.

jarrett could be that guy.

they used a 1st round on DT last year in mccargo. the guy broke his foot, give him a chance next year.

god i hope so. this team desperately needs:

- better third down conversion percentage;

- better red zone performance;

- tall, physical receiver whose effectively always open given mismatches against smaller DBs in blitzing situations;

- a strong #2 to take the pressure off evans.

jarrett could be that guy.

they used a 1st round on DT last year in mccargo. the guy broke his foot, give him a chance next year.

You don't perhaps think that a couple of big talented OGs who can open up holes on third & short and generally improve the running game will greatly effect the 3rd down conversions....& the red zone performance?

Actually.....if you take our last 6 games(which will realistically be closer to how we will be next season), you will see we were running at a 36.8% 3rd down percentage.

The Cardinals(who surely have the best 1/2 WR combo in the league) had 39.2% 3rd down percentage last season.

Surely the last piece of the puzzle should be the #2 WR. What's the point in having 2 STAR WRs if you can't stop the run.....can't run on 3rd & short.....can't run consistently......can't consistently protect the QB?

IMO, upgrading the interior of both lines will mean we can win NOW. Improving the #2 WR means we can have a more exciting offence to watch now.

It really doesn't matter what CBS, Mel Kiper and all the other people who mock the draft say. The only thing that counts is the name on the card that is sent up to the podium in April.

Soberly said. Speculation, speculation, speculation at this stage. Let's just hope the Bills draft brain trust is working overtime this year. We need a good draft this year.

You don't perhaps think that a couple of big talented OGs who can open up holes on third & short and generally improve the running game will greatly effect the 3rd down conversions....& the red zone performance?

Actually.....if you take our last 6 games(which will realistically be closer to how we will be next season), you will see we were running at a 36.8% 3rd down percentage.

The Cardinals(who surely have the best 1/2 WR combo in the league) had 39.2% 3rd down percentage last season.

Surely the last piece of the puzzle should be the #2 WR. What's the point in having 2 STAR WRs if you can't stop the run.....can't run on 3rd & short.....can't run consistently......can't consistently protect the QB?

IMO, upgrading the interior of both lines will mean we can win NOW. Improving the #2 WR means we can have a more exciting offence to watch now.

i agree with your theme of "one piece helps the other." however, you fail to apply to this logic to how a big WR also helps the Oline. consider that no Oline can protect the QB indefinitely and every Oline will give way to blitzes where they are outnumbered. the key to beating those blitzes - and thus avoiding sacks and turnovers - is to have a "goto" target. the big physical receiver provides that outlet and makes the Oline effectively better by making its job easier.

the challenge for a team is to get enough of the pieces in place in different areas at the same time to field a winner. the notion of waiting until you have the mythic offensive line that provides infinite protection is fundamentally flawed: your attempt to always build what can't exist will cause you to be chronically deficient in other areas. and by that time you realize it was flawed you have lost talent players that you can win with now like a lee evans.

it's not like they haven't invested in other areas including the offensive line. but the last time they made a significant move in the receiving corp (i.e. high profile free agent or 1st round pick) was lee evans in the 2004 draft. it's time to make this area a top priority again.

When it supports your argument, you're willing to look at just the last 6 games, but there's no way you can look at the this team post-bye week and say we couldn't consistently protect the quarterback. Pass protection in the NFL just doesn't get much better than Losman had it from the bye week through week 16. Run blocking is another story, of course, and we're in agreement that the Guard position should be improved, but I find the idea that our pass protection needs improvement over the end of last season to be false.

Absolutely we need a WR. Look at our weapons in the passing game. Outside of Evans...we have a bunch of guys who would not start for 95% of the other NFL teams. This includes TE's. If Evans were to go down, our receiving options would be equivalent to an NFL Europe team, and this offense would completely stall. Also....it's no secret what Bill Belichick likes to do. He takes away your best option. That's why we haven't even been competitive with the Patriots in games where Evans has this supporting cast.

Roscoe Parrish is a VERY solid #3 WR's who defenses have to account for, but a guy who see's the field 10 plays a game simply doesn't help the QB enough. This offense desperately needs another playmaker. I never understand why people are affraid to be VERY strong in one area. It's always " We're good enough here.....we're fine here". You don't win by being "fine". You win by excelling in certain area's that the opponent simply cannot account for everything.

I fully expect our WR depth chart to be improved in the offseason.

But as a close follower of USC, I've never heard of Jarrett criticized as a selfish player, or a detriment to the team. He's a big time WR ....

Yeah, and I'm sure Mike WIlliams was a big time receiver as well. :)

If we're goofy enough to take a WR in teh first, I hope we go with that big kid from LSU.

i agree with your theme of "one piece helps the other." however, you fail to apply to this logic to how a big WR also helps the Oline. consider that no Oline can protect the QB indefinitely and every Oline will give way to blitzes where they are outnumbered. the key to beating those blitzes - and thus avoiding sacks and turnovers - is to have a "goto" target. the big physical receiver provides that outlet and makes the Oline effectively better by making its job easier.

the challenge for a team is to get enough of the pieces in place in different areas at the same time to field a winner. the notion of waiting until you have the mythic offensive line that provides infinite protection is fundamentally flawed: your attempt to always build what can't exist will cause you to be chronically deficient in other areas. and by that time you realize it was flawed you have lost talent players that you can win with now like a lee evans.

it's not like they haven't invested in other areas including the offensive line. but the last time they made a significant move in the receiving corp (i.e. high profile free agent or 1st round pick) was lee evans in the 2004 draft. it's time to make this area a top priority again.

Mythical OL? I simply want a decent interior to the OL.

A big #2 WR won't help the running game much.

Please.....EVERYONE LOOK AT ARIZONA

2 Great WRs.....Great RB.....Garbage OL

Their running game was 30th in yards & 32nd ypc.

It's a bit of a stretch using a resources argument.

WRs of last 5 drafts(4th round or better)

2005 2nd round

2004 1st round

2003 4th round

2002 2nd round

Entire OL of last 5 drafts(4th round or better)

2005 4th round

2002 1st round

It makes no difference re: resources used regardless. If a draft pick is a success....or the position is filled by other means, no more resources need be spent on it......if the possition is in need, resources need to be spent.

When it supports your argument, you're willing to look at just the last 6 games, but there's no way you can look at the this team post-bye week and say we couldn't consistently protect the quarterback. Pass protection in the NFL just doesn't get much better than Losman had it from the bye week through week 16. Run blocking is another story, of course, and we're in agreement that the Guard position should be improved, but I find the idea that our pass protection needs improvement over the end of last season to be false.

When it supports my argument I'm willing......when it doesn't, I look at my argument & think "hmmmm, maybe I'm not totally correct here." & I look to change my view.

I certainly hope you are very, very wrong. If you are correct then that implies that JPL is the cause of all the sacks.

Pre-bye week.

7 games

21 sacks....3/game

218 attempts.....1 sack every 10.4

Post-bye week.

9 games

26 sacks....2.9/game

258 attempts.....1 sack every 9.9

Post bye week would average out to 46 sacks in a season. If protection does not get much better than that......JPs fault?

When it supports my argument I'm willing......when it doesn't, I look at my argument & think "hmmmm, maybe I'm not totally correct here." & I look to change my view.

I certainly hope you are very, very wrong. If you are correct then that implies that JPL is the cause of all the sacks.

Pre-bye week.

7 games

21 sacks....3/game

218 attempts.....1 sack every 10.4

Post-bye week.

9 games

26 sacks....2.9/game

258 attempts.....1 sack every 9.9

Post bye week would average out to 46 sacks in a season. If protection does not get much better than that......JPs fault?

This is my fault in being too cavalier in my estimation of where the improvement in pass protection began to manifest. It took me going back and looking at the numbers to realize that mistake. It seems there were 2 weeks after the bye week (GB, @ IND) in which the pass protection was still inadequate. Maybe this is because the play-calling was still utlra-conservative (this would make sense because one could argue the pass protection and play-calling both changed the same week, beginning @ HOU), or maybe its because the line needed those 2 weeks to gel and adjust after the changes to the lineup the coaching staff made during the bye week. In any case, here are the adjusted numbers with the line being drawn after those 2 weeks:

first 9 games

30 sacks....3.3/game

224 attempts.....1 sack every 7.5 attempts

averages to 53 sacks in 16 games

last 7 games

17 sacks....2.4/game

205 attempts.....1 sack every 12 attempts

averages to 39 sacks in 16 games

With my error eradicated, the point I'm trying to make comes through.

In any case, statistics are a pretty rough way to measure something like pass protection, mostly because by using sacks alone you completely ignore how many passes were thrown under diress, whether the quarterback had a pocket to step into, coverage sacks, etc. In my opinion, the best way to see our line's improvement is the old fashioned eye ball test. Down the final stretch of the season, I remember again and again consciously noticing that JP was able to step back and get comfortable, and then step up and deliver a pass...on a pretty consistent basis. At least it was pretty close to as consistent as you can expect. I'm confident that if someone were to go back and watch those last 7 games looking for this, they would see my point clearer than I could ever show it with statistics.

This is one reason why I'd like to see this team grab a big receiver at some point in the draft, but I'll save that for another post. :)

Mythical OL? I simply want a decent interior to the OL.

A big #2 WR won't help the running game much.

Please.....EVERYONE LOOK AT ARIZONA

2 Great WRs.....Great RB.....Garbage OL

Their running game was 30th in yards & 32nd ypc.

It's a bit of a stretch using a resources argument.

WRs of last 5 drafts(4th round or better)

2005 2nd round

2004 1st round

2003 4th round

2002 2nd round

Entire OL of last 5 drafts(4th round or better)

2005 4th round

2002 1st round

It makes no difference re: resources used regardless. If a draft pick is a success....or the position is filled by other means, no more resources need be spent on it......if the possition is in need, resources need to be spent.

ok since you brought them up, let's examine the cardinals and "edge" in more detail:

- they scored more points than the bills 314 vs 300

- they had the higher ranked offense versus the bills 18 versus 30

- their #1 back Edge (widely regarded as a flop after leaving indy and hardly great by anyone) still outperformed our #1 mcgahee 1159 yards versus 990 yards (both had 6 TDs)

and to think they did it with a combination of washed up QB and a rookie leinart, and according to you a "garbage OL." heck, if anything im even more convinced we need jarrett or someone like him after this analysis.

:)

ok since you brought them up, let's examine the cardinals and "edge" in more detail:

- they scored more points than the bills 314 vs 300

- they had the higher ranked offense versus the bills 18 versus 30

- their #1 back Edge outperformed our #1 mcgahee 1159 yards versus 990 yards (both had 6 TDs)

and to think they did it with a combination of washed up QB and a rookie leinart, and according to you a "garbage OL." heck, if anything im even more convinced we need jarrett or someone like him after this analysis.

:)

and despite all these stats, Buffalo won more games. using the Arizona Cardinals as an organization to model after -- hmm, interesting choice....

stats like these can be deceiving. for instance, is it possible that all those points and yards came after the Cards were behind and had to play catch up? seems to me that could be possible since Arizona's Team DEF ranked #29 overall in the NFL. i wonder, why didn't they win more games???

i think i'll stick with shoring up the front 7 on defense and the O-Line. a win is a win in my book, whether it is accomplished by scoring more TD's or by grinding it out with tough defense and field goals. the Colts only won in the playoffs and Super Bowl because their defense finally showed up to play and because they were able to run the ball behind a O-Line that featured 2 Pro-Bowl starters, not because of their WR's. a 2nd stud WR should be luxury that the Bills go after only when the rest of the team is in place.

that being said, i could see them taking a WR early in the draft if they have taken care of their other needs in free agency...

i think i'll stick with shoring up the front 7 on defense and the O-Line. a win is a win in my book, whether it is accomplished by scoring more TD's or by grinding it out with tough defense and field goals. the Colts only won in the playoffs and Super Bowl because their defense finally showed up to play and because they were able to run the ball behind a O-Line that featured 2 Pro-Bowl starters, not because of their WR's. a 2nd stud WR should be luxury that the Bills go after only when the rest of the team is in place.

I'm all for improvement in the trenches, but I'm not sure how we'd apply that to the 12th overall pick. We all know we're set with Jason Peters, and I think most agree that Terrance Pennington has earned a starting role for next season. I think the board is about 50-50 on Fowler, but even if you don't like him, are you going to draft a center 12th overall? Or even a guard, undoubtedly our weakest O-line postion? I don't think thats the best way to help the team.

As for the defensive line, many look at the fact that our run defense was quite weak last year, and so want to draft a defensive tackle, and the leading candidate seems to be Okoye. I don't like this because Okoye would in all likelihood be replacing Tim Anderson in our DT rotation, leaving Kyle Williams as our only nose tackle on the roster! This is why I'd rather see us address DT through free agency with a solid nose tackle, namely Ian Scott of Chicago, who has experience playing for Dick Jauron in the cover 2. This would allow John McCargo to remain in the pass rushing DT position as he returns from injury. With he and Kyle Williams having a year of experience in both this league and this system under their belts, I'd expect to see noticeable improvement out of the two of them. Particularly with Williams bulking up a bit, giving him a better chance at holding the line of scrimmage consistently. Add cover 2 vets Larry Tripplett and Ian Scott into the rotation at the under tackle and nose tackle positions respectively and I think we'd see considerable improvement in the run defense.

Therefore, the only line position left on either side of the ball to consider in round 1 is DE, and this is the spot I'm most hoping the Bills address with the 12th pick, mainly because of the emphasis the cover 2 puts on generating a pass rush from the front 4. I'd let Chris Kelsay walk, and draft Gaines Adams if he's on the board. If not, I'd take Jamaal Anderson, who should be there.

But what if, for any number of reasons, they don't want to go DE with that 12th pick? Why not Dwayne Jarrett, or a linebacker? Picking Dwayne Jarrett in the 1st isn't showing a lack of commitment to the lines, its showing a recognition that the draft is more than one round and he might be the player on the board who can help our team the most. Because for our offense to take the next step forward, we must give Losman a 2nd consistent target in the passing game. I'd still rather have a DE, but I've got no problem with Dwayne Jarrett or a linebacker.

I wouldn't rule out a trade-down and a guard picked near the end of the 1st round, but whenever you talk about trading down, you have to remember it takes two to tango.

I wouldn't rule out a trade-down and a guard picked near the end of the 1st round, but whenever you talk about trading down, you have to remember it takes two to tango.

if Buffalo hasn't taken care of DT through free agency as you suggest they will look to do so via the draft, which would lead us to Branch or Okoye. if both are gone by #12, odds are good that your one of those DE's you mention, Gaines or Anderson will be there, as will Marshawn Lynch at RB.

if this is the scenario, i could certainly see a trade down in the works. you'll see the Jets, Giants, Packers and possibly the Broncos vying to get their hands on Lynch, making them possible trade partners. in addition, the Rams may be players for a DE right behind the Bills at #13, so you could see teams like Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Denver or Philly trying to position themselves ahead of the Rams, which would make them potential trade partners as well.

with a trade down to pick up an extra 2nd rounder, sure, a WR at #1 is a possiblity. that would still allow them to pick an OG and take a DT, TE, LB or CB with the 2 2nd rounders.

and despite all these stats, Buffalo won more games. using the Arizona Cardinals as an organization to model after -- hmm, interesting choice....

stats like these can be deceiving. for instance, is it possible that all those points and yards came after the Cards were behind and had to play catch up? seems to me that could be possible since Arizona's Team DEF ranked #29 overall in the NFL. i wonder, why didn't they win more games???

that being said, i could see them taking a WR early in the draft if they have taken care of their other needs in free agency...

ummm, cardinals came up when someone else referenced them so i expanded on it. i dont think anyone ever said use them as a model. bills and cards records werent very far off (5 wins for cards, 7 for bills) so i dont think there's a major difference in "garbage yards." and we all know on monday night cards blew a big lead against bears when all they did was run ... a lead so big even the bills wouldn't have blown it.

again the challenge for any team is to have enough talent distributed throughout the offense, defense and special teams simultaneously to field a winner. if it were as easy as "invest in the Oline for as long as it takes and then fill out the rest of the team" it would be too easy and every team could be good. so yes i want talent on the oline, but i also respect the need to have it at wideout too.

as far as the colts, you have to be out of your mind to think that wayne and harrison had no impact on the colts oline performance and strong running game. the bears played nearly the entire game in a deep zone and rushed only 4 out of respect for harrison and wayne. (just ask urlacher if you don't believe me who was yelling at the bears coaches during the game to call some run and pass blitzes.) it's that same kind of dymanic the bills need if they want to force opposing defenses to set their safeties deeper and have their linebackers drop back in coverage which would help to open the running game. right now defenses have the luxury of keeping 8 in the box against the bills.