Make take from 6 rows up in the endzone

duey

First of all, the amount of pathetic pissing and moaning on this board has reached an all-time high. Jeez...get ahold of yourselves. Would a little objective analysis hurt any of you?

The thing that killed the Bills yesterday, and is the root of the problems the offense is having, is the O-line. Sitting at field level in the endzone gives me a great perspective of the lines ability of open holes, shift, and pass protect. They failed at all three. I once was able to see our o-line open beautiful holes for Thurman to run through, as well as create a nice pocket for Jim to set up in. This line is incapable of either. Bledsoe had NO time to even look past his first option, nevermind being able to wait for the longer patterns to set up. We can't run anything up the middle because there is no ability to open even the smallest hole for our backs to run through. The only successful running plays we had were to the outside.

Second, the problem yesterday was NOT Bledsoe...repeat...it was NOT Bledsoe. While completely acknowledging his inability to move around, he wasn't even getting three seconds after the snap before he was pressured. How is it his fault when his line collapses almost immediately. I felt that he did a pretty good job yesterday...I was there...I watched him...he acted confident, was accurate, and put the ball where it had to be.

Coaching...give Mularky credit for kicking these guys in the ass at the begining of the 4th quarter. The unit that was 90% responsible for the pathetic offensive showing during the first three quarters (the o-line), finally stepped up and offered Drew some protection. Plus, I thought the play calling offered a different mix of personnel and formations.

I think we saw something interesting in the 4th quarter. Is it a coincidence that the only success we saw took place during drives where we ran a hurryup offense. Play calling involved a quick drop and dump to a short yardage receiver, mixed in with some runs. Set up the long pass to Evans nicely as well.

Finally, penalties continue to kill us, though we seem to have settled down later in the game.

This team MUST build on their play in the 4th quarter. I am not so lame as to think this team can make the playoffs (quite frankly, anyone who thought this team would have that level of success at all is too much of a homer to objectively judge this team), but as evidenced by all our games so far this year, we can play with anyone and have a chance to win late, even with as many mistakes as have been made.

We have to take each game as it comes, and look to develop our personnel, our unit play and our coaching so that we go into next year having built up an experienced team that opens the 2005 season with few, if any, questions.

Doomer cryers fire away, though you're less-than-objective opinions are getting very very old.

First of all, the amount of pathetic pissing and moaning on this board has reached an all-time high.  Jeez...get ahold of yourselves.  Would a little objective analysis hurt any of you?

The thing that killed the Bills yesterday, and is the root of the problems the offense is having, is the O-line.  Sitting at field level in the endzone gives me a great perspective of the lines ability of open holes, shift, and pass protect.  They failed at all three.  I once was able to see our o-line open beautiful holes for Thurman to run through, as well as create a nice pocket for Jim to set up in.  This line is incapable of either.  Bledsoe had NO time to even look past his first option, nevermind being able to wait for the longer patterns to set up.  We can't run anything up the middle because there is no ability to open even the smallest hole for our backs to run through.  The only successful running plays we had were to the outside.

Second, the problem yesterday was NOT Bledsoe...repeat...it was NOT Bledsoe.  While completely acknowledging his inability to move around, he wasn't even getting three seconds after the snap before he was pressured.  How is it his fault when his line collapses almost immediately.  I felt that he did a pretty good job yesterday...I was there...I watched him...he acted confident, was accurate, and put the ball where it had to be.

Coaching...give Mularky credit for kicking these guys in the ass at the begining of the 4th quarter.  The unit that was 90% responsible for the pathetic offensive showing during the first three quarters (the o-line), finally stepped up and offered Drew some protection.  Plus, I thought the play calling offered a different mix of personnel and formations.

I think we saw something interesting in the 4th quarter.  Is it a coincidence that the only success we saw took place during drives where we ran a hurryup offense.  Play calling involved a quick drop and dump to a short yardage receiver, mixed in with some runs.  Set up the long pass to Evans nicely as well.

Finally, penalties continue to kill us, though we seem to have settled down later in the game.

This team MUST build on their play in the 4th quarter.  I am not so lame as to think this team can make the playoffs (quite frankly, anyone who thought this team would have that level of success at all is too much of a homer to objectively judge this team), but as evidenced by all our games so far this year, we can play with anyone and have a chance to win late, even with as many mistakes as have been made.

We have to take each game as it comes, and look to develop our personnel, our unit play and our coaching so that we go into next year having built up an experienced team that opens the 2005 season with few, if any, questions.

Doomer cryers fire away, though you're less-than-objective opinions are getting very very old.

64699[/snapback]

Instead of using all this bandwidth just say THEY SUCK!!

First of all, the amount of pathetic pissing and moaning on this board has reached an all-time high.  Jeez...get ahold of yourselves.  Would a little objective analysis hurt any of you?

The thing that killed the Bills yesterday, and is the root of the problems the offense is having, is the O-line.  Sitting at field level in the endzone gives me a great perspective of the lines ability of open holes, shift, and pass protect.  They failed at all three.  I once was able to see our o-line open beautiful holes for Thurman to run through, as well as create a nice pocket for Jim to set up in.  This line is incapable of either.  Bledsoe had NO time to even look past his first option, nevermind being able to wait for the longer patterns to set up.  We can't run anything up the middle because there is no ability to open even the smallest hole for our backs to run through.  The only successful running plays we had were to the outside.

Second, the problem yesterday was NOT Bledsoe...repeat...it was NOT Bledsoe.  While completely acknowledging his inability to move around, he wasn't even getting three seconds after the snap before he was pressured.  How is it his fault when his line collapses almost immediately.  I felt that he did a pretty good job yesterday...I was there...I watched him...he acted confident, was accurate, and put the ball where it had to be.

Coaching...give Mularky credit for kicking these guys in the ass at the begining of the 4th quarter.  The unit that was 90% responsible for the pathetic offensive showing during the first three quarters (the o-line), finally stepped up and offered Drew some protection.  Plus, I thought the play calling offered a different mix of personnel and formations.

I think we saw something interesting in the 4th quarter.  Is it a coincidence that the only success we saw took place during drives where we ran a hurryup offense.  Play calling involved a quick drop and dump to a short yardage receiver, mixed in with some runs.  Set up the long pass to Evans nicely as well.

This team MUST build on their play in the 4th quarter.  I am not so lame as to think this team can make the playoffs (quite frankly, anyone who thought this team would have that level of success at all is too much of a homer to objectively judge this team), but as evidenced by all our games so far this year, we can play with anyone and have a chance to win late, even with as many mistakes as have been made.

64699[/snapback]

Thanks for the thoughtful and realistic comments. I agree with virtually everything. An already bad o line has injury problems and that isn't helping anyone.

The running game numbers for a team with two very capable backs says as much about the o line as anything. It's trial by fire with this o line. And while some of these guys are trying hard. As far as the o line goes you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

And Henry, could you catch an f'n swing pass when it counts?

We lead the NFL in % of catchable dropped passes.

?????? Oh, I almost overlooked the fact that the Bills are 0-4. Yep, no reason that anyone should piss and moan.

I think we saw something interesting in the 4th quarter. Is it a coincidence that the only success we saw took place during drives where we ran a hurryup offense. Play calling involved a quick drop and dump to a short yardage receiver, mixed in with some runs. Set up the long pass to Evans nicely as well.

It seemed to work well for us during the early 90s.

64699[/snapback]

I agree totaly! I feel that they may have found something yesterday by using the hurry up. They might have found a way of helping the O- line get an edge on the future D- lines they face. 10 & 6 is still a possiblilty if they get the O -line some confidence.

Duey, the Bills are 0-4. And you expect objective analysis?

Here?!? <_<

Ahem. To get serious, I appreciate the first-hand view, and I agree with most of your points. Good post.

But most of us are just so frustrated at this point - heck, even Ralph is ticked off and talking about it - that asking for anything approaching civil discourse probably won't work too well right about now....

I once was able to see our o-line open beautiful holes for Thurman to run through, as well as create a nice pocket for Jim to set up in.

I'd put more of the onus on Andre's inability to get open and Bruce's inability to get a sack. And whey we didn't run Kenny Davis more on third down is anyone's guess. <_<:(:D

Duey,

Since you were there at the game I was wondering if you can answer something for me.....

Lee Evans has ONE catch in this game....last game Evans was a focal point of the offense while he was on the field......

Was he getting open and just not getting the ball.......?

65116[/snapback]

Evans was in on a fair amount of the offensive plays, and from what I saw, he certainly has the ability of getting open. The problem is that until the 4th quarter, Bledsoe was not getting nearly enough time to get him the ball. Plus, the play calling was mixing in a lot of short yardage (due to no time to let the longer plays develop).

Regarding the mixing of plays and personnel...I was pretty intriqued. Shaw, Aikens, Evans and Reed all were mixed in with Moulds. Plus there were a couple double TE sets, and the mixing of Travis and Willis. I think the mixing of offense schemes, plus the hurry up to maintain momentum and catch the other teams D in a standard set, may open things up in the coming games.

And look, I'm as frustrated as anyone else, but I can't go the entire season looking at the down side. I did see things yesterday that were positive, and at this point, I we (and the team) need to build on those.

And look, I'm as frustrated as anyone else, but I can't go the entire season looking at the down side.  I did see things yesterday that were positive, and at this point, I we (and the team) need to build on those.

65139[/snapback]

Hey, by all means, keep doin' what you're doin'. I know the team is 0-4; I don't need to read 18,278 posts consisting solely of "this team SUCKS !!!!!!!! <_< :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: " to remind me.

I, for one, still have faith your signature line won't turn out to be an accurate prediction of the 2004 season (although the sweep-Miami part, I like....)