What's the first Super Bowl you REALLY watched?

Steelers/Rams. Great game. That was first season I watched sports. The play I remember the most actually came from the AFC championship game between the Steelers and Houston Oilers when Dan Paterini threw a pass to Mike Renfro in the back of the end zone that the refs called incomplete but was clearly a touchdown. That play led to more calls for having some sort of instant reply. The Bills played the Steelers on the last game of the season that year. Ferguson drove the Bills on the opening drive to a field goal but it was blocked, we lost 28-0. In that game Jim Haslett kicked a helmetless Terry Bradshaw in the head while going out of bounds. Bradshaw had a little gash on his bald head from that. Was the kick on purpose?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super Bowl I, I watched it on NBC because I liked the AFL better. I also remember watching the AFC Championship game that was played in the Rockpile on TV & seeing a sign that said "Bills in Super Bowl, Chiefs in soup bowl" Years later when I heard the revisionist history myth that the 1st Super Bowl wasn't called the Super Bowl I knew it was a lie because of the sign at the Rockpile. I looked it up in the library & sure enough, the papers were saying that the Chiefs had just earned a trip to the Super Bowl. All anyone has to do is go to a library & look up a paper on microfilm from 1967 & see everyone referring to the game as the Super Bowl.

I saw Super Bowl I and I pulled for the Chiefs because of the AFL tie. The game was refered to as the NFL-AFL Championship Game and it was shown on two television networks. I recall watching it on the AFL channel with Curt Gowdy doing the game. I think Lamar Hunt called it the "Super Bowl" back then but that name did not really catch on until SB III.

Did you watch this game in Buffalo, because I thought this game, as well as all AFL and NFL home games in that era were blacked out?

Rockpile, can you confirm?

Me, I remember bits and pieces of I and II, but I remember vividly watching Jets v. Colts in III.

You're right, it was blacked out, but the black out area was not as large as it is now. We went over to my uncles house who could pick up a Eire PA station and you could get the game. I remember getting there just in time to see Kemp hit Dubenion through the snowy reception. I thought the Bills were on their way. But to my alas, so started my now 41 year journey with the Bills and a Super Bowl win.

My favorite was the first one that Buffalo won. I nearly cried when Norwood split the uprights with no time left. It kind of inspired the next few superbowl wins agains the Cowboys and Redskins...but nothing like the first ...great game and one that will live forever in my......ooooohhhhhhh.....never mind.

Wow....a lot of you are young. :rolleyes:

The first I remember that I watched was SB XIV, Steelers & Rams. The first that I remember watching from the opening kickoff and rooting for a particular team was the next one...SB XV, Eagles & Raiders.

I rooted for the Eagles, apparently a sign of things to come for me. :ph34r:

Wow....a lot of you are young. :rolleyes:

"OLD" IS WHEN ... Your sweetie says, "Let's go upstairs and make love,"

and you answer, "Pick one; I can't do both!"

"OLD " IS WHEN ... Your friends compliment you on your new alligator

shoes and you're barefoot.

"OLD" IS WHEN ... A sexy babe catches your fancy and your pacemaker

opens the garage door.

"OLD" IS WHEN ... Going braless pulls all the wrinkles out of your face.

"OLD" IS WHEN ... You don't care where your spouse goes, just as long as

you don't have to go along.

"OLD" IS WHEN ... You are cautioned to slow down by the doctor instead

of by the police.

"OLD" IS WHEN .."Getting a little action" means you don't need to take

any fiber today

"OLD" IS WHEN ... "Getting lucky" means you find your car in the parking

lot.

"OLD" IS WHEN ... An "all nighter" means not getting up to use the

bathroom.

AND

"OLD" IS WHEN ... You are not sure these are jokes

My favorite was the first one that Buffalo won. I nearly cried when Norwood split the uprights with no time left. It kind of inspired the next few superbowl wins agains the Cowboys and Redskins...but nothing like the first ...great game and one that will live forever in my......ooooohhhhhhh.....never mind.

I wish I was watching it with you!

Raiders 32 Vikings 14. Supe XI if I'm not mistaken. Was 7 at the time, and i loved the Raiders uni's. Thought "the snake" was the coolest nickname for a QB.Thought Dave Casper looked cool. I was hooked on the NFL from that day on. :rolleyes:

Ditto for me...I was 11. I watched the Bills before that, but once their season was over, I could have cared less about the playoffs...I rooted for the Raiders, because my brother, who I hated, was always a Bills fan first, Vikings fan second (he was born in Minnesota!).

The only Super Bowl I missed, was the 49'ers- Dolphins game in 1984 (SB XIX I think). I was on a flight home from London the day of the game, and we got caught caught in bad weather.

I honestly had my flight home booked, so I would arrive in Buffalo on time to see the whole game...the flight from London was delayed about 4 hours...what a long day...

I saw a little of the game at the airport in New York city...I think, when I got on my plane to Buffalo, the Dolphins were up by 3 points...by the time I got home, I was delighted to find that Marino and the Killer Bees were exterminated! One of the rare times the team I wanted to win, managed to win.