What to do...? (LAMP)

DC Mom

You can complete law school and then not necessarily practice law...Sports agent, for example, is one career where a law degree is fairly prevalent. Businesses of all sizes have legal advisors which they employ, and consult on all aspects of purchasing, acquisitions, contracts, strategy, business banking, etc. A position like that might be more of a slant toward the corporate world while still using your wealth of legal knowledge.

Do you have an idea what you WANT to do, rather than just knowing that you DON'T want to be a lawyer? You must've at one time wanted to be a lawyer. How do you know you won't get sick of your new endeavor in 2 years?

I guess my priorities changed (wanting to have time with family) and I found that my personality does not mesh with law students or lawyers very well. I realized that while I find the theory and all that interesting, I have trouble with the nitty-gritty and small details. While being able to understand the theory and the generalities of the law has been great for law school finals and my GPA, I doubt it will mean good things for my career.

I only have a general outline about what I want to do instead. At times, I have considered high school teacher and trying to get into the business world.

I wish I did know what I WANT to do for sure instead. If I did, this decision would be far easier.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with smokinandjokin about deciding what you WANT to do not what you don't want to do. Life happens while you plan something else. I got out of the service and worked for commissioner blair of the BPD. He had a law degree and rose to become commissioner of police. Friends I went to law school are vice presidents of major corporations, law professors, novelists and one is a professional umpire. Many enter foreign service, run Non-governmental organizations in foreign countries. Many have exciting careers in JAG. A law degree doesn't narrow you my friend...it opens up a lot of doors. You have half the money spent for something that screams quitter on your resume. Spend the other half, get the JD and then do what you want and love to do. you can teach english for $35,000 a year or teach law for $105,000. In any event finish this semester.

You ought to finish. It would look bad on a resume. BTW - Not every lawyer works 80+ hours a week. Just some of us!!

There are many different types of practicing law. You say you wanted to be a litigator, but wanted to spend all your time in court. Well what about becoming a District Attorney? Big court time, good work and experience, law is mostly settled (so not as much research), just a thought.

Depending on what type of work interests you, a law degree will only help. Yes, you can say you didn't want to practice, but the experience of law school taught me how to analyize and break down complex problems, applying the rules to the facts. This type of analysis is required in every industry.

You ought to finish. It would look bad on a resume. BTW - Not every lawyer works 80+ hours a week. Just some of us!!

There are many different types of practicing law. You say you wanted to be a litigator, but wanted to spend all your time in court. Well what about becoming a District Attorney? Big court time, good work and experience, law is mostly settled (so not as much research), just a thought.

Depending on what type of work interests you, a law degree will only help. Yes, you can say you didn't want to practice, but the experience of law school taught me how to analyize and break down complex problems, applying the rules to the facts. This type of analysis is required in every industry.

Thanks for the advice. As far as litigation goes, I think you are confusing me with someone else. Because I am non-confrontational, I don't think litigation would work for me.

My only question is, of which someone did ask and you did not provide a real answer, have you really taken some time to determine why you want to stop part way through?

Must be somethng bigger than don't like personalities, don't like details.

It's tough to quantify. Perhaps I am just focusing on the negatives, but I started to think about how I want balance in my life sooner rather than later and that when I look ahead the prospect of being a lawyer depresses me. It just doesn't feel like the kind of person I am. And it's never really been about the work. It's just that I have found no passion in it. I wonder what the point of it is. I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I like being creative and thinking up new ways to do things. The law feels so stifling as far as that goes.

It's tough to quantify. Perhaps I am just focusing on the negatives, but I started to think about how I want balance in my life sooner rather than later and that when I look ahead the prospect of being a lawyer depresses me. It just doesn't feel like the kind of person I am. And it's never really been about the work. It's just that I have found no passion in it. I wonder what the point of it is. I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You sound like a liberal. Maybe you should get into politics. Whining is a good attribute for the Democrat party.!!!! :wallbash:

I like being creative and thinking up new ways to do things. The law feels so stifling as far as that goes.

Suck it up and get back to work. Retirement is a long way off.

You sound like a liberal. Maybe you should get into politics. Whining is a good attribute for the Democrat party.!!!! :wallbash:

I know I am whining. But I can't stop thinking about something until I solve it.

And by the way, I am registered Republican for what it's worth. Not that I am enamored with the party or anything, but I suppose it's where my loyalties lie.

I know I am whining. But I can't stop thinking about something until I solve it.

And by the way, I am registered Republican for what it's worth. Not that I am enamored with the party or anything, but I suppose it's where my loyalties lie.

Good luck to you. There is some good advice in this thread. Mine is, stay in school. I hate to say this, but Tennyboy had some good advice. :wallbash:

Suck it up and get back to work. Retirement is a long way off.

I work hard. If I didn't, I wouldn't have the grades I have here (it certainly isn't about intelligence, I think). I have done a lot of crappy jobs in my young life. I actually enjoy manual labor in some level. At least at the end of the day, you feel like you have accomplished something, you can see your results (normally) and you don't have to feel guilty about having a beer and watching TV in the evening.

I am not really trying to defend myself. I wish it was about work ethic. Then I wouldn't worry so much about what I was doing.

I work hard. If I didn't, I wouldn't have the grades I have here (it certainly isn't about intelligence, I think). I have done a lot of crappy jobs in my young life. I actually enjoy manual labor in some level. At least at the end of the day, you feel like you have accomplished something, you can see your results (normally) and you don't have to feel guilty about having a beer and watching TV in the evening.

I am not really trying to defend myself. I wish it was about work ethic. Then I wouldn't worry so much about what I was doing.

Just busting your balls. Your working life is long...lots of opportunities to do different things. Probably a good idea to finish the law school so you've got it under your belt. You never know when it'll work to your advantage later in your career.

I have a couple of follow-up questions that I hope someone here might answer.

Everyone tells me that I should try out my summer firm before I drop out and hopefully I will know for sure at the end of August. But by the time the summer is over, it will be 6 months or so later. Because of my financial and personal situation, I could not really afford to finish up that year. Would the full 2 years of law school on my resume make it more difficult than my current situation for me to get a job?

Also, if I had dropped out after my first year, would I have been in better shape? One of my problems is that I am regretting not quitting after this summer (did research work, hated it).

1. Apparently you have paid for this semester and it is too late to get a refund? If so finish this semester.

2. If you don't like law why would you take a summer job with a law firm? Tend bar in Miami Beach, paint houses and just get away from it all for a few months.

3. Regretting what you didn't do last year gets you nothing.

4. No matter how you cut it two years of law school means pretty much nothing. You either have a JD or you don't.

5. Consider taking the summer to look at options for a JD outside of the traditional practice of law. Work for an interesting government agency or political organization or church group.

6. Join the Peace Corps (Seriously a break might do you good and expand your horizons...easy to take a leave of absence and get some student loans forgiven.)

It sounds like the mid-course blues to me...just take it easy, finish the semester you paid for and make your decisions carefully. Best of luck.

1. Apparently you have paid for this semester and it is too late to get a refund? If so finish this semester.

2. If you don't like law why would you take a summer job with a law firm? Tend bar in Miami Beach, paint houses and just get away from it all for a few months.

3. Regretting what you didn't do last year gets you nothing.

4. No matter how you cut it two years of law school means pretty much nothing. You either have a JD or you don't.

5. Consider taking the summer to look at options for a JD outside of the traditional practice of law. Work for an interesting government agency or political organization or church group.

6. Join the Peace Corps (Seriously a break might do you good and expand your horizons...easy to take a leave of absence and get some student loans forgiven.)

It sounds like the mid-course blues to me...just take it easy, finish the semester you paid for and make your decisions carefully. Best of luck.

I have two weeks to decide to withdraw, so it's still up in the air at some level. I feel that a summer at the firm will tell me for sure whether the practice of law is not for me. I haven't had true experience practicing... I have just had law related work during the semesters and my first summer. Also, the money will be pretty good.

My question is whether 1.5 years of law school looks worse on a resume than 2 years. I can take a leave of absence at either point.. but I have little time.

Really, I would not be so worried if it wasn't because there have been key points when I have been severely questioning my choice.

August 2005

February 2006

March 2006

July and August 2006

January 2007.

There have been times when I have been happy with my decision, but the frequency with my severe doubts and this being the worse, seems to be a bad sign. Still, I have not actually done a full-fledged practical experience, so... I am scared I will regret walking away before this summer.