SuperBore

Marv Levy

I don't know about the rest of you on this board, but I really really hate the 2 week layoff between the Conf Champ games and the Superbowl. Its all hype, marketing, advertising and crap which really makes the Championship game suffer. I just wish they would play the damn game on the next week (This year being Sunday the 28th). The two week wait usually makes the game lousy. Just my opinion. Anyone else feel the same way? Just get on with it!!

I don't know about the rest of you on this board, but I really really hate the 2 week layoff between the Conf Champ games and the Superbowl. Its all hype, marketing, advertising and crap which really makes the Championship game suffer. I just wish they would play the damn game on the next week (This year being Sunday the 28th). The two week wait usually makes the game lousy. Just my opinion. Anyone else feel the same way? Just get on with it!!

To "Marv Levy"; Yes, it's my opinion that the Super Bowls played with only 1 week wait were much better games.

To "Internet Superhero Guy"; No, I do not have facts to back it up, and I'm not going to try. :thumbsup:

We disagree. The wait doesn't seem that bad at all. They could probably even add a week or two.

Signed,

The NCAA

I really don't mind it, and I'm sure the players and coaches prefer the extra week. There is so much extra stuff that goes into the super bowl with travel and getting tickets to all of their friends and families. I'm sure Peyton loves that he's got two weeks to watch film on the Bears D, and I'm definately sure that Rex is happy he gets an extra week to play connect 4 with his little bro while the Colts film plays in the background.

In the last 16 Super Bowls, 11 of them had a 2 week wait, and 5 had only 1 week.

For the one week breaks, the point differences were 27, 3, 7, 17, and 1.

For the two week breaks, they were 11, 3, 3, 27, 15, 7, 14, 10, 23, 35, 13.

Making the average point differential for 1 week break games 11, and for 2 week break games 14.7. Both about a 2 score game.

The one week fans will say "You conveniently left out the 17th super bowl (49er 55-10 drubbing)" which would skew my two week differential a little higher.

The two week fans will counter, "but look at recent history, the last 3 games of 2 week break have an average of 5.67 points between them, while the last 3 one week games have an average of 12.3 points.

Conclusion: You can manipulate numbers to say whatever you want, and I wasted my time trying to figure out some sort of correlation. Please feel free to extend my research to the rest of the super bowls, perhaps that would be more telling than my 16 SB snapshot.

EDITED: I had the numbers mixed up a little in my hasty data collection so I made the necessary corrections. Still about the same result though.

In the last 15 Super Bowls, 10 of them had a 2 week wait, and 5 had only 1 week.

For the two week breaks, they were 11, 3, 3, 27, 7, 15, 7, 14, 10, 23.

Making the average point differential for 1 week break games 11, and for 2 week break games 12. Not really a big difference.

The one week fans will say "You conveniently left out the 16th super bowl (Cowboys 52-17 drubbing)" which would skew my two week differential a little higher.

The two week fans will counter, "but look at recent history, the last 3 games of 2 week break have an average of 5.67 points between them, while the last 3 one week games have an average of 12.3 points.

Conclusion: You can manipulate numbers to say whatever you want, and I wasted my time trying to figure out some sort of correlation. Please feel free to extend my research to the rest of the super bowls, perhaps that would be more telling than my 15 SB snapshot.

Warning: You are dangerously close to becoming one of those "Regression Toward the Mean" winners!

:worthy:

In the last 15 Super Bowls, 10 of them had a 2 week wait, and 5 had only 1 week.

For the two week breaks, they were 11, 3, 3, 27, 7, 15, 7, 14, 10, 23.

Making the average point differential for 1 week break games 11, and for 2 week break games 12. Not really a big difference.

The one week fans will say "You conveniently left out the 16th super bowl (Cowboys 52-17 drubbing)" which would skew my two week differential a little higher.

Conclusion: You can manipulate numbers to say whatever you want, and I wasted my time trying to figure out some sort of correlation. Please feel free to extend my research to the rest of the super bowls, perhaps that would be more telling than my 15 SB snapshot.

I think bobblehead just found his "Internet Superhero Guy."

I think bobblehead just found his "Internet Superhero Guy."

:worthy:

Actually, "Internet Superhero Guy" would DEMAND that it was I that provided the FACTS or or that, that, that.. well, I would have BAD THINGS said to me!

I actually enjoyed Ofiba's post, he actually celebrates his geekness online, like a badge of honor.

In the last 16 Super Bowls, 11 of them had a 2 week wait, and 5 had only 1 week.

For the two week breaks, they were 11, 3, 3, 27, 15, 7, 14, 10, 23, 35, 13.

Making the average point differential for 1 week break games 11, and for 2 week break games 14.7. Both about a 2 score game.

The one week fans will say "You conveniently left out the 17th super bowl (49er 55-10 drubbing)" which would skew my two week differential a little higher.

Conclusion: You can manipulate numbers to say whatever you want, and I wasted my time trying to figure out some sort of correlation. Please feel free to extend my research to the rest of the super bowls, perhaps that would be more telling than my 16 SB snapshot.

EDITED: I had the numbers mixed up a little in my hasty data collection so I made the necessary corrections. Still about the same result though.

Wow! I'm impressed with the stat work. I don't know the layoff period between all these past SB games but I just don't like the 2 week wait. I think the game should be played the next week.

What were the layoff times between the TITANS vs RAMS SB? Also, the PATS vs PANTHERS? Those were two VERY good, entertaining SuperBowls.

What were the layoff times between the TITANS vs RAMS SB? Also, the PATS vs PANTHERS? Those were two VERY good, entertaining SuperBowls.

Titans Rams was a 1 week break, while Pats Panthers was a 2 week break.

I really don't think it matters how long the break is. Sure the fans want to see the action right away, but as far as the excitement in the game, it doesn't really matter. People always complain about the Super Bowls always being blowouts, but I just don't understand it. First of all, there have been some very good games in recent years. Second of all, generally, NFL football games are not down to the wire finishes. I may really look at the data eventually, but I would like to see what the average point difference in the Superbowls are compared with the average point difference in all the regular season games. When there are 15 games on a week, you are bound to get about 2 or 3 really great finishes, which gives the false idea that every game is a great finish, except for the Super Bowl, when in fact, the Super bowl only really has about a 3/15 chance of being a great finish.