OL attributes

obie_wan

For those screaming for OL in the draft, what OL attributes will JMac be looking for in a draftee?

such as quickness and agility in the guards so they can pull and execute screens or massive bull dozers to pound it up the middle

How does zone blocking vs drive blocking change who fits the Bills preferences?

Does intelligence (ability to make blitz pickups) play any factor in who is targeted?

discuss

For those screaming for OL in the draft, what OL attributes will JMac be looking for in a draftee?

such as quickness and agility in the guards so they can pull and execute screens or massive bull dozers to pound it up the middle

Does intelligence (ability to make blitz pickups) play any factor in who is targeted?

discuss

He wants them athletic and to have long arms.

discuss

I think pass blocking trumps run blocking, of course I want both- the improvement in the Bills O-line came from improved pass blocking - even without changes the Bills O-line should improve- Peters and Gandy with another year in their new positions- Preston needs to use the off-season to really improve his strength and conditioning- Pennington looked better as a rookie than Mike Williams looked in his 3rd year- which really isn't saying a lot but it gots to give hope- also you'd expect some improvement just from the O-line playing together for another year.

I think pass blocking trumps run blocking, of course I want both- the improvement in the Bills O-line came from improved pass blocking - even without changes the Bills O-line should improve- Peters and Gandy with another year in their new positions- Preston needs to use the off-season to really improve his strength and conditioning- Pennington looked better as a rookie than Mike Williams looked in his 3rd year- which really isn't saying a lot but it gots to give hope- also you'd expect some improvement just from the O-line playing together for another year.

if pass blocking preferred, it sounds like that refutes any interest in teh big roadgrader type OG like Bennie Anderson.

the type of player Bill keeps harping on

so does Jmac favor technique over bulk?

Bennie Anderson was not a roadgrader. He was a fat slob who could barely get out of his stance.

He certainly couldn't pass block, and he couldn't pull for sweeps and screens.

so his only possible redeeming trait was as a drive blocker.

The question is will JMac and Fairchild put more emphasis on agile guys that can pass block or more of teh mastadon guys that excell more at run blocking.

It seems from Fairchild's days with the Rams that he would like get his linemen in space to utilize sweeps and screens.

I think we are looking at gaurds this year. Pass blocking is critical, but I think we should be able to get that AND someone who can open up holes. Now I'm not sure there all that many people out there who can do both things well...AND pull on complex running plays, but I think there are a few Blaylock and Sears come to mind. I'm fairly sure we'll see an offensive lineman in round 1 or 2, and maybe a second one in rounds three and four.

He certainly couldn't pass block, and he couldn't pull for sweeps and screens.

so his only possible redeeming trait was as a drive blocker.

The question is will JMac and Fairchild put more emphasis on agile guys that can pass block or more of teh mastadon guys that excell more at run blocking.

It seems from Fairchild's days with the Rams that he would like get his linemen in space to utilize sweeps and screens.

How nice for him to have Pace and now Peters, no? ;)

Pass blocking is the hard part because the offense knows the count. Big guys love to fire out on running plays. On passing downs, they often get beat up, even when successfully defending the QB. The LG needs a bit more agility because of the blindside. This is why Steinbach would be a perfect fit. It would offer us a monster left side for many years.

Believe it or not, CV was a good RG for most of his first season in Buffalo. Not great mind you, but he played with a mean streak and opened holes. Now of course he is done. I am thinking that we can draft a guy like this and plug him in.

Center is another problem imo, but maybe Fowler can improve if he is surrounded by 2 better Guards.

Because of Peters, this line might not be too hard to fix. Imagine if he even gets better?!

How nice for him to have Pace and now Peters, no? ;)

Pass blocking is the hard part because the offense knows the count. Big guys love to fire out on running plays. On passing downs, they often get beat up, even when successfully defending the QB. The LG needs a bit more agility because of the blindside. This is why Steinbach would be a perfect fit. It would offer us a monster left side for many years.

Believe it or not, CV was a good RG for most of his first season in Buffalo. Not great mind you, but he played with a mean streak and opened holes. Now of course he is done. I am thinking that we can draft a guy like this and plug him in.

Center is another problem imo, but maybe Fowler can improve if he is surrounded by 2 better Guards.

Because of Peters, this line might not be too hard to fix. Imagine if he even gets better?!

Steinbach would not be a good fit in Bflo.

Why not? ;)

Steinbach is a marvelous player. He runs a pull and sweep right , approaching the best there ever was. In the too-rare - these days - trap play, he rings a rusher so quick and hard you look for blood to spurt out of the guy's ears. He is a top downfield blocker, and keeps around the action most all plays.

He's a good pass protector. But he did play between a heck of a LT, Levi Jones, and a rock who deserved more ink, the now-retired C Rich Braham. When those two went out for most of the season, he was adequate, but not spectacular. He's 6'6", and 300 lb - maybe. And he will be IMO one heck of a left tackle, even at his low weight. Gets position, solid stance, keeps balance, and extends his arms with power - no off-balance reaching.

But if one looks for a G that is going to flat-out collapse DTs on run plays, he's not that guy. Good as Steinbach is, no one has seen fit to vote him an All-Pro. He is in part, a victim of his versatility.

And all things point that he is going to command a dear price.

For those who want the x's and o's and would like to hear it from the horses' mouth, I have 2 of McNally's OL tape series, where he describes what he wants and how he teaches oline. I am converting my vhs collection to avi, so if it isn't too big I'll put it up on savefile and put the link in this discussion.

Steinbach is a marvelous player. He runs a pull and sweep right , approaching the best there ever was. In the too-rare - these days - trap play, he rings a rusher so quick and hard you look for blood to spurt out of the guy's ears. He is a top downfield blocker, and keeps around the action most all plays.

He's a good pass protector. But he did play between a heck of a LT, Levi Jones, and a rock who deserved more ink, the now-retired C Rich Braham. When those two went out for most of the season, he was adequate, but not spectacular. He's 6'6", and 300 lb - maybe. And he will be IMO one heck of a left tackle, even at his low weight. Gets position, solid stance, keeps balance, and extends his arms with power - no off-balance reaching.

But if one looks for a G that is going to flat-out collapse DTs on run plays, he's not that guy. Good as Steinbach is, no one has seen fit to vote him an All-Pro. He is in part, a victim of his versatility.

And all things point that he is going to command a dear price.

Sorry my friend, but nothing in your post could conceivably make him a bad fit for the Bills. Moreover, he is a perfect fit based on the way you describe him.

The "dear price" is certain. That said, we might have a great CB who doesn't want to play in Buffalo. The cap space IS there. As far as LTs, I am thinking that Peters has a chance to be every bit as good as Levi Jones, if not better. Jones is very good, but Peters has that same arm extension, and I think that he is actually stronger than Jones.

As Badolbilz said, a Peters/Steinbach combination could be the equivalent of a Jones/Hutch combo that brought Seattle to a superbowl. Imro, this is exactly what the Buffalo Bills Football Team needs.

While I agree that Steinbach would be terrific in Buffalo, so would Diehlman. He's a little better of a run blocker, plays the right side and would help Pennington improve at RT. I could live with signing Diehlman and resigning Gandy to play LG. Then draft a future LG in round 2 or 3. Also Diehlman would be less expensive than Steinbach.