Why a new CB

mattypro89

Didnt we draft Yuboty last year as Nate's replacement. Why would we want to draft another CB instead of picking up a cheap FA with some actual experience if we need a CB at all. Supposedly this Yboty guy's got some real talent, and if not for having problems in the beginning of the season, he might have seen some real playing time when McGee was plain like stright poo.

To me that truly is the answer to the question regarding Nate.....

He is going to want ridiculous money......improve the DL big time and find a veteran corner

I was actually thinking about this the other night. McGee looked like a very good corner at the end of the 2005 season, but that is also when we had big bodies in the middle to obsorb blockers so ends and linebackers could get more pressure. If we can find away to pressure the quarterback, we could in actuality hide McGee's weakness' by not giving the quarterback to throw, thus, we do not need a CB in the draft.

I think they like Kiwaukee Thomas enough to start him until Ashton is ready for prime time. This draft is deep at CB so I could see them taking a guy in rounds 2-4 to have in the wings should Thomas and Ashton prove to be not up for the job. They have Greer as well. No one would be crazy about starting him but in the short term we could get by. We need to stop the run first. It will be a lot easier for the secondary to defend the pass on second or third and long than on second and two or third and three which is what we dealt with for most of last year.

I think they like Kiwaukee Thomas enough to start him until Ashton is ready for prime time. This draft is deep at CB so I could see them taking a guy in rounds 2-4 to have in the wings should Thomas and Ashton prove to be not up for the job. They have Greer as well. No one would be crazy about starting him but in the short term we could get by. We need to stop the run first. It will be a lot easier for the secondary to defend the pass on second or third and long than on second and two or third and three which is what we dealt with for most of last year.

I wouldn't doubt if Youboty is already the choice. It could be a ploy by the Bills and they are keeping him under the radar this year, so that he can spring out and suprise in 2007. Coming into the season, teams are going to pick on him because he is the unproven "rookie" cornerback. Who's to say that the Bills are not anticipating this and are going to utilize it to their advantage. If the Bills lock him up long term this offseason, you know he is kick ass already.

I wouldn't doubt if Youboty is already the choice. It could be a ploy by the Bills and they are keeping him under the radar this year, so that he can spring out and suprise in 2007. Coming into the season, teams are going to pick on him because he is the unproven "rookie" cornerback. Who's to say that the Bills are not anticipating this and are going to utilize it to their advantage. If the Bills lock him up long term this offseason, you know he is kick ass already.

Ah yes, the Bills secretly planned the death of Ashton's mother just so he can be a "suprise" next year with no experience :bag:

Ah yes, the Bills secretly planned the death of Ashton's mother just so he can be a "suprise" next year with no experience :bag:

Someone woke up on the wrong side of his boyfriend.

Let's face it, i doubt it took him this long to recover from his mother's death. It would be a strategic move on the Bills part to keep him under the radar until this season when people think that they can pass that ball on him and he shocks a few teams.

Didnt we draft Yuboty last year as Nate's replacement. Why would we want to draft another CB instead of picking up a cheap FA with some actual experience if we need a CB at all. Supposedly this Yboty guy's got some real talent, and if not for having problems in the beginning of the season, he might have seen some real playing time when McGee was plain like stright poo.

If Nate leaves the CB position becomes a glaring need, perhaps one that needs to be addressed with a 1st or second round pick.

Youboty barely played this season which is concerning, I understand the whole bit about his mother and I don't doubt his personal suffering or the angst that he felt as a result of her death. However, the entire situation has forced him to become a 2nd year rookie which is not good because as you pointed out McGee looked horrible this year, his play was inconsistent at best and when teams focused their passing game to his side of the field he played quite ugly and gave up many costly TD's.

We can't start a 2nd year rookie as the #1 CB and a career nickle back as the #2 CB. The pass defense will be in shambles.

I suspect that the reason that the Bills finished 8th in pass defense (or whatever the number is) was because of the solid play of Nate Clements. The safeties played excellently for rookies but only adequately on a comparitive level. I really don't like the thought of Youboty, McGee, Whitner and Simpson as the secondary next year.

with how valuable experience is in the NFL I highly doubt that any team would hold a player back as part of some off-season ploy to fool other teams into thinking that our nickle CB is some sort of secret weapon.

with how valuable experience is in the NFL I highly doubt that any team would hold a player back as part of some off-season ploy to fool other teams into thinking that our nickle CB is some sort of secret weapon.

They did it with John Holecek and Sam Cowart.

If Nate leaves the CB position becomes a glaring need, perhaps one that needs to be addressed with a 1st or second round pick.

Youboty barely played this season which is concerning, I understand the whole bit about his mother and I don't doubt his personal suffering or the angst that he felt as a result of her death. However, the entire situation has forced him to become a 2nd year rookie which is not good because as you pointed out McGee looked horrible this year, his play was inconsistent at best and when teams focused their passing game to his side of the field he played quite ugly and gave up many costly TD's.

We can't start a 2nd year rookie as the #1 CB and a career nickle back as the #2 CB. The pass defense will be in shambles.

I suspect that the reason that the Bills finished 8th in pass defense (or whatever the number is) was because of the solid play of Nate Clements. The safeties played excellently for rookies but only adequately on a comparitive level. I really don't like the thought of Youboty, McGee, Whitner and Simpson as the secondary next year.

My take is #8 ranking in pass defense is misleading...teams didn't pass much against Bills, because they could run on them easily, and lack of DL and LB strength was reason for low overall D ranking. I agree with other posts in this thread that we don't need to emphasize CBs and DBs in this off-season, at this stage. You build D from line strength first and foremost. Getting good or supposedly good safeties and CBs did nothing to help the D in critical situations all last year.

see the reason we finished 8th in pass defense was everyone could run the ball on us. yes when nate leaves it will be a downgrade whoever fills his spot but if we can stop the run im copnfident fewell and DJ will find a way to get our corners help.