Draft 07...

damaynman150

The way our OL has been playing the past few weeks, do you think we need to take an OL first round? I mean you dont take a guard at #16-ish and typically, any tackle that goes that high is going to be a LT right? but since we got Peters, would we spend a mid-1st rounder on an RT, esp. since Pennington looks decent for the time being?

Personally, i wouldn't mind a LB like patrick willis or posluszny but assuming we dont resign Fletch (which i dont think we should do... even though i love the guy) I dont think a trio of Spikes, Crowell and Ellison is that bad.

I do think that Clements should be resigned if this team and front office is serious about being a championship contender. Sometimes you have to overpay for talent, and im one to believe that Clements, for all his faults, is a top 15 (10?) NFL CB. Therefore, a CB 1st overall would be disappointing for me to see but a necessity should Clements bolt.

The DT class doesnt seem to be particularly strong, esp in the areas we need them to be in: size and speed. A guy like DeMarcus Tyler wouldnt be a poor choice but he seems like a bit of a reach, no?

In terms of Free Agents, I agree with the board that Eric Johnson would look fantastic in blue and red, as would Drew Bennett but i dont see Drew coming to Buffalo. Some team will overpay but i hope its not Buffalo. Why not swing for the fences with a guy like Justin Gage, who fits our system: a tall, faster WR who just needs polishing that Tyke Tolbert can produce. Just an idea.

On defense, a guy like Robaire Smith from Tenn wouldnt be bad either: size and width to free our faster LBs. (PS: Dwight Freeneys a UFA too! riiiiiight)

On defense, a guy like Robaire Smith from Tenn wouldnt be bad either: size and width to free our faster LBs. (PS: Dwight Freeneys a UFA too! riiiiiight)

everyone is talking how key it is to sign nate, but given the choice between him or freeney i'd take the all pro DE everytime........an elite DE can make a so so CB look good.........it's not like we're talking about a huge difference in money - they're both going to get massive contracts..........it will be interesting to see if indy finds a way to keep freeney with the F-tag

The way our OL has been playing the past few weeks, do you think we need to take an OL first round? I mean you dont take a guard at #16-ish and typically, any tackle that goes that high is going to be a LT right? but since we got Peters, would we spend a mid-1st rounder on an RT, esp. since Pennington looks decent for the time being?

We did pick Rueben Brown a guard at the 14th pick. I think we have to pick the best player available in the 1st round as we have quite a few holes to fill. Plus, I am not sure if Duke Preston is the answer at right guard. May be we will get one in Free Agency.

Personally, i wouldn't mind a LB like patrick willis or posluszny but assuming we dont resign Fletch (which i dont think we should do... even though i love the guy) I dont think a trio of Spikes, Crowell and Ellison is that bad.

If Fletcher is not re-signed, then you need a ILB. I am not sure we have some one on this team to replace London.

I do think that Clements should be resigned if this team and front office is serious about being a championship contender. Sometimes you have to overpay for talent, and im one to believe that Clements, for all his faults, is a top 15 (10?) NFL CB. Therefore, a CB 1st overall would be disappointing for me to see but a necessity should Clements bolt.

If Clements is a top 10 CB as you say, would you be willing to make him the highest paid CB as he wants to be ? I don't mind overpaying to keep a player, but you have a limit on what you can over pay especially considering the number of players we need to re-sign back this year.

In terms of Free Agents, I agree with the board that Eric Johnson would look fantastic in blue and red, as would Drew Bennett but i dont see Drew coming to Buffalo. Some team will overpay but i hope its not Buffalo. Why not swing for the fences with a guy like Justin Gage, who fits our system: a tall, faster WR who just needs polishing that Tyke Tolbert can produce. Just an idea.

I would like to see Daniel Graham as our TE. Johnson is washed up and has also played in a WCO for most of his career. We need a big receiver to take pressure off Evans. Either Price/Reed need to step up their game further or we need to look outside.

If we don't sign Clements and Fletcher, but can use that money to sign a Lance Briggs and a second level CB, I will be more than happy.

We don't have to play with Have-Tos. That's the fun part of this draft. We need go get at least one guard (maybe two), possibly a tackle, at least one DT, and probably a corner, and probably a Fullback, and we'd like a TE, a possession WR, and some LB help. But we don't have to have it scripted, and we can do the best thing with all of our picks and all of our free agent dollars. Get the best players available with the picks and get the best values available with the signings.

I would personally love if the best player available at our #1 pick was an OG like Blalock, but when you make your wish list too early and get too caught up with it, you end up picking and signing badly. Marv is too smart for that, and I'm ready for an offseason where we sometimes scratch our heads, but where when we look at it six months later we are pretty happy.

everyone is talking how key it is to sign nate, but given the choice between him or freeney i'd take the all pro DE everytime........an elite DE can make a so so CB look good.........it's not like we're talking about a huge difference in money - they're both going to get massive contracts..........it will be interesting to see if indy finds a way to keep freeney with the F-tag

This is a great point. In fact I will go as far as to say NC will command more money then Freeney. If everybody here is willing to throw 50 mill to sign Clements, why not take that money & throw it at Freeney. You get Freeney & Schobel coming off the ends with a slight upgrade at dt & I dont care who you have playing CB.

I would prefer to get OLinemen from free agency, preferably top tier guys - even if they cost a fortune. Go look at the last 10 years of guards being drafted in the top 50 of the draft. It's a short list of production. Drafting for need only is a recipe for disaster.

I don't know that Freeney is the right answer, either. I'd prefer a couple of tackles who can play so we can end the "Tim Anderson experiment."

I love Patrick Willis, that kid is a football player! He would fit well with the defense we run in Buffalo, he flies all over the field.

I think the OL is ok, but, we need it to be better. I think Preston and Fowler need to be challenged when camp comes around again. Id like to see Buffalo go after a RG via FA, a stud RG....Id also like to see Pennington be challenged a little more. From what I have seen hes played well this year. But I still want to see how he can handle someone thats fighting for his spot aswell.

As for Nate Clements, hes a huge part of this team and if the franchise truely wants a winner then they have to resign Nate. Nate is a lockdown corner that deserves money. Will he get it with the Bills, I really dont know.......I hope so, but I also he dont take up all the cap space. Cause this team has a few other needs aswell.

I know Marv told Nate he wouldnt franchise him, but lets face the facts, the NFL is a business, promises mean nothing! Id rather get something for Nate then to lose him and get nothing for him....Like I said its a business and you do whats best for your overall business not one player...

I love the Justin Gage comment! I highly agree with it!

As for Freeney, with how bad the Colts defense is, I cant see them letting Freeney get away....But from what I hear, and im not sure if its correct they might lose Cato June or Freeney and they might have to tag one to keep one....so who knows....

Its going to be an interesting year indeed.

This is a great point. In fact I will go as far as to say NC will command more money then Freeney. If everybody here is willing to throw 50 mill to sign Clements, why not take that money & throw it at Freeney. You get Freeney & Schobel coming off the ends with a slight upgrade at dt & I dont care who you have playing CB.

they would have 0 sacks because no one would ever pass the ball- just check out that Indy run D

Freeney's play fell off a little this year, don't think he had a sack until the Bills game. 5-1/2 for the year now. Likely his salary will be out of line with his productivity. Wouldn't be pretty if we paid him big FA dollars and he went the first half season without a sack.