This may sound stupid....

frogger

That was a stupid way to title this, but please spare me the "yes it does"

Assuming we can't re-sign Nate Clements, what about the option of moving Donte Whitner to CB, he as the speed, and is good in coverage, and if I recall during the draft there was even call about it. The two top CB will command major coins, however Safeties make less, Ken Hamlin who came back from injury and Michael Lewis who I believe has been to the pro bowl are both free agents and would be much cheaper than Clements. Just a thought. :doh:

Assuming we can't re-sign Nate Clements, what about the option of moving Donte Whitner to CB, he as the speed, and is good in coverage, and if I recall during the draft there was even call about it. The two top CB will command major coins, however Safeties make less, Ken Hamlin who came back from injury and Michael Lewis who I believe has been to the pro bowl are both free agents and would be much cheaper than Clements. Just a thought. :doh:

:P I was thinking the same thing. And while we're at it why not move McGee to a safety position as well...??

What, if any, are the reasons why this wouldn't work?

What makes you think that Ashton Youboty wouldn't be a better CB than Donte Whitner? Give the kid a chance, from all I've read on the guy he seems like the perfect choice to replace Clements.

What makes you think that Ashton Youboty wouldn't be a better CB than Donte Whitner? Give the kid a chance, from all I've read on the guy he seems like the perfect choice to replace Clements.

But may be Whitner/Youboty is the best non-Nate combination?? McGee didn't have a great year, may be he's be better at the strong safety position?? He was one of our leading tacklers, he's got speed, vision, and the smarts of a starting CB...

If Clements leaves, a lot of people see Ashton Youboty as his predecessor. That would leave basically a rookie corner at the position. Your way suggests basically another rookie corner (Whitner as he hasnt played the position for a while and certainly not at the NFL level) and a newcomer at the SS position. That's 2 people out of place from 1 person leaving, and also a waste of a 3rd round pick in Youboty sitting on the bench. I'd rather keep the very promising Whitner at his normal position of SS and either try Youboty at corner or bring in a veteran.

If Clements leaves, a lot of people see Ashton Youboty as his predecessor. That would leave basically a rookie corner at the position. Your way suggests basically another rookie corner (Whitner as he hasnt played the position for a while and certainly not at the NFL level) and a newcomer at the SS position. That's 2 people out of place from 1 person leaving, and also a waste of a 3rd round pick in Youboty sitting on the bench. I'd rather keep the very promising Whitner at his normal position of SS and either try Youboty at corner or bring in a veteran.

Very good points, but didn't this same Bills team see success with a young backfield this year? Heck, our D Coordinator is a former DB coach and our head coach is a former pro-bowl DB...

Mcgee's scouting reports out of college had him as a fine safety, but only a marginal cornerback. But he was switched by the former staff, having nothing better at the time.

The same staff that overlooked his glowing college KR credentials, not using him there until his second season...

Very good points, but didn't this same Bills team see success with a young backfield this year? Heck, our D Coordinator is a former DB coach and our head coach is a former pro-bowl DB...

Correct, our team did well with a rookie safety tandem this year. Howver, at the start of last year it was known that it was a rebuilding year, and a shot at the playoffs was a longshot. Coming off the year we had I think that a lot of people only expect us to be better, and with a few offseason moves can push for a playoff spot next season. It wouldnt make sense to come back with another inexperienced crew on defense while the rest of our team is experienced and pushing for a playoff spot.

Correct, our team did well with a rookie safety tandem this year. Howver, at the start of last year it was known that it was a rebuilding year, and a shot at the playoffs was a longshot. Coming off the year we had I think that a lot of people only expect us to be better, and with a few offseason moves can push for a playoff spot next season. It wouldnt make sense to come back with another inexperienced crew on defense while the rest of our team is experienced and pushing for a playoff spot.

The Buffalo Bills may not have a choice if Nate wants a 20 million dollar signing bonus and 8 million a year (there comes a point where contract demands are too rich and will have a negative impact thats greater than if they start a second year third round pick in 2007). Add to this is that Nate may not want to be here anymore. So plan B is Youboty and/or bringing in a veteran free agent for competition. I wouldn't get so caught up in what the playoffs ramifications will be if Nate's not here, the Bills are still a couple of years away from the "Big Dance". You can't always get what you want, but the Bills may already have what they need.

Hmm interesting idea i remember them saying when we drafted him he could play both, but then that also leaves a big hole at SS. I feel like thomas and youboty and mcgee between the 3 of them can make two sloid starters but i wouldnt be surprised if the coaching staff tries it :P

The Buffalo Bills may not have a choice if Nate wants a 20 million dollar signing bonus and 8 million a year (there comes a point where contract demands are too rich and will have a negative impact thats greater than if they start a second year third round pick in 2007). Add to this is that Nate may not want to be here anymore. So plan B is Youboty and/or bringing in a veteran free agent for competition. I wouldn't get so caught up in what the playoffs ramifications will be if Nate's not here, the Bills are still a couple of years away from the "Big Dance". You can't always get what you want, but the Bills may already have what they need.

I dont know what that has to do with my post.... but ok lol

Id rather see it on the field that he can play instead of on paper......come on now! This team needs to spend a little cash and keep Nate. Go look at who we face next year WR wise, tell me we dont need Nate Clements on the field.

Noway Youboty or Whitner can do what Nate has done! You think Youboty & Whitner can shut down Andree Johnson and Marvin Harrison back to back weeks? NOWAY!

If this team loses Clements, its sending me a signal that they are not really trying to make an effort at winning.....

Only valuable guy I see that will be on the market this off season would be Al Harris from Green Bay, who will be a cap cut end of the year!

Id rather see it on the field that he can play instead of on paper......come on now! This team needs to spend a little cash and keep Nate. Go look at who we face next year WR wise, tell me we dont need Nate Clements on the field.

Noway Youboty or Whitner can do what Nate has done! You think Youboty & Whitner can shut down Andree Johnson and Marvin Harrison back to back weeks? NOWAY!

If this team loses Clements, its sending me a signal that they are not really trying to make an effort at winning.....

Only valuable guy I see that will be on the market this off season would be Al Harris from Green Bay, who will be a cap cut end of the year!

The issue in this post was not whether we should re-sign Nate, it was a hypothetical of who should replace him if he were to leave.

The issue in this post was not whether we should re-sign Nate, it was a hypothetical of who should replace him if he were to leave.

Right, I understand that......I just cant see Youboty or Whitner playing at the level Clements has this year and to be honest that can be a major blow to a defense, but it also sends a bad message to the fans. A fan base thats already up in flames for not having a winning franchise.

But if he were to leave, like you state, i dont know many guys that can replace him. I keep hearing Al Harris from GB will be a cap casuality this year and he will be out on the market, he would make a nice fit incase Nate was to leave.

I dont mean to come off mean or anything like that, I just want Nate to stay here, cause this team is NOT that far from being a winner. Nate is a huge reason the team has been in several games this year.

I hope I come across better then my last post.......

From what I have seen of him this year, Whitner has not demonstrated that he has the coverage skills to play CB. He has had trouble covering Tight Ends, so Wide Receivers will be even harder.

yeah, my thoughts exactly. granted, antonio gates is the best TE in the biz at running routes and catching, but whitner wasn't able to even hinder gates. :?

yeah, my thoughts exactly. granted, antonio gates is the best TE in the biz at running routes and catching, but whitner wasn't able to even hinder gates. :?

Was it me or did it seem like Whitner was always falling when making a break to cover a offensive player?

But there is a part of me that thinks he can adjust to the NFL speed next year.

Was it me or did it seem like Whitner was always falling when making a break to cover a offensive player?

But there is a part of me that thinks he can adjust to the NFL speed next year.

i agree. but this is his rookie year, the year he'd have been a senior in college. (right?)

i think that it's common for players to improve by leaps and bounds from their rookie to second years. so yeah, i think he's going to do a lot better in that aspect next year.

i agree. but this is his rookie year, the year he'd have been a senior in college. (right?)

i think that it's common for players to improve by leaps and bounds from their rookie to second years. so yeah, i think he's going to do a lot better in that aspect next year.

I fell that way about Whitner & Ko Simpson.......I think after watching film in the offseason, and workouts with the NFL program they will get bigger and faster.....

I think Plan B is Thomas. He was the 5th DB for pretty much the whole year. Ashton is more likely a nickle back next year.