Out Coached... Maybe??

Buffalo won the toss. That's why they got the ball to start the game. Think about it: have you ever seen an NFL team that won the coin toss to start the game but didn't choose to receive?

877489[/snapback]

Well, not to start the game, but I recall the lions declining the ball in OVERTIME! (that still make me laugh every time i think about it)

Coin Toss

1. The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field. The toss will be called by the visiting captain before the coin is flipped. The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:

(a) Receive or kick

(b) Goal his team will defend

2. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices. The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice.

Sorry to rehash this ad nauseum... But something just isn't right... It all points to the coaching staff screwing up with "the wind" and choosing a grossly inadequate strategy to start the third... The funny thing is they probably don't even realize it!

Here are the facts:

1. Buffalo won the toss... Couple this with the above crazy rule "made" them choose to receive (see my prior rant on how winning the toss is a bad thing at a windy Ralph)

2. This is what transpired:

First Quarter

Tennessee Titans at 15:00

R.Bironas kicks 68 yards from TEN 30 to BUF 2. T.McGee to TEN 46 for 52 yards (C.Cramer).

The above opening kick was AGAINST THE WIND... See how far the ball traveled, remember that...

Third Quarter

Buffalo Bills at 15:00

R.Lindell kicks 68 yards from BUF 30 to TEN 2. A.Jones to TEN 10 for 8 yards (K.Thomas; S.Aiken).

The above 2nd half kickoff, MAY show that Buffalo HAD the wind (which they did)...Lindell kicked that ball all the way to the 2... Shows the coaching strat was to pin TN back early in the third and hope to bury the game... Now compare the two kicks... What is the diff with the wind? NOTHING... Because IMO the kickoff has the ball going high near or over the top of the lower seating bowl above where the wind is swirling... Just from a fans observation you see it all the time sitting in the upperdeck... Dynamics the coaches never probably notice... :(

So now... Reading the above rule... How in the heck did TN receive the ball to start the third AND GET THE WIND IN THE FOURTH? Because BFLO picked the wind in the third! :D:doh:

So in conclusion... Prior to the start of the third, TN got to pick (a) or (b) because the lost the original coin toss... They picked (a)... Why on God's green earth did Buffalo break the cardinal rule and decide to take the wind in the third?... Strategy points to the fact the Bills coaches wanted to give TN a harder time starting off the third... :lol::lol: TN is still chewing the clock up to start the third AGAINST THE WIND for you Dick Jauron... Time that your team may need WITH THE WIND! :doh:

This totally flies in the face of convention and we all saw what happened with :41 secs left...

I go back to blaming DJ for this one! :D

The Bills basically lost this game because of ONE critical strategy mistake: Not kicking into the wind to open the third. A mistake I never recall Marv making?... The Bills always seemed to have the wind when they needed it late in the game at home... Until these new string of meatheads took over some 5 or so years ago!

/end rant

:D:D

Buffalo won the toss, they took the ball.

You always take the ball.

heres the official rules:

877492[/snapback]

You do not always take the ball. The rule is you can choose one of two options and with the wind at the ralph the winner of the toss should chose B. which goal to defend.

I don't know who won the toss but I would hope that it was Tenn and they choose the direction.

If we won the toss and choose to rec. vs. which goal to defend, then that is one hell of a stupid mistake. Back in the day I can remember always choosing direction when winning the coin toss.

It is the key to winning at the ralph on windy days........

Well, not to start the game, but I recall the lions declining the ball in OVERTIME! (that still make me laugh every time i think about it)

877529[/snapback]

Why?

If weather conditions were awful, choosing to receive, the other team could just make you go AGAINST THE WIND...

And you know what?... The team that is doing the kickoff is going WITH the wind... So the ball is gonna be kicked even farther than normal and posssibly going to be a touchback... Ball and drive start at the 20.

It also means you have to go 20 or so yards deeper to get into FG range, all the while driving into that same wind that you have intentions of kicking into.

This has always been a touchy subject with me :doh: ... And just recently, I keep on seeing the wrong strategies being applied with miserable results!

:D

You do not always take the ball. The rule is you can choose one of two options and with the wind at the ralph the winner of the toss should chose B. which goal to defend.

I don't know who won the toss but I would hope that it was Tenn and they choose the direction.

If we won the toss and choose to rec. vs. which goal to defend, then that is one hell of a stupid mistake. Back in the day I can remember always choosing direction when winning the coin toss.

It is the key to winning at the ralph on windy days........

877583[/snapback]

Totally agree with you EB...

Nope... From what I hear... BFLO WON the toss... Which to me is the smoking gun proving the incompetence of these recent coaching staffs playing at their home they call "The Ralph"!

Totally agree with you EB...

Nope... From what I hear... BFLO WON the toss... Which to me is the smoking gun proving the incompetence of these recent coaching staffs playing at their home they call "The Ralph"!

877586[/snapback]

Back in the day when marv was roaming the sidelines on a windy day. If we won the toss we always took the b. choice and that was which goal to defend....ALWAYS choose to defend the goal so that you have the wind in the 4th qt.

If we won the toss as you say and rec'd, then something needs to be done about that because that is STUPID..Many many games were won back when weak legged norwood was roaming the sidelines........WITH THE WIND......I truelly hope your wrong about who won the toss and I'm to drunk and lazy to go look it up......Wasn't there a game earlier this season that we made the same stupid mistake.....seems like the jets game was windy and they choose to rec.???????

Back in the day when marv was roaming the sidelines on a windy day. If we won the toss we always took the b. choice and that was which goal to defend....ALWAYS choose to defend the goal so that you have the wind in the 4th qt.

If we won the toss as you say and rec'd, then something needs to be done about that because that is STUPID..Many many games were won back when weak legged norwood was roaming the sidelines........WITH THE WIND......I truelly hope your wrong about who won the toss and I'm to drunk and lazy to go look it up......Wasn't there a game earlier this season that we made the same stupid mistake.....seems like the jets game was windy and they choose to rec.???????

877589[/snapback]

Again... Exactly! And you are drunk :D:doh: ... Seems everybody is discounting this and not talking about the utter incompetence when playing at the Ralph... They cloud the issues with all other kinds of BS...

In my posts... I have proven that the Bills actually and WILLFULLY choose to defend the wrong goal to start the third. The basic stats show that the Bills coaching staff wanted to get their points in the third with the wind.

To use baseball... To me what they did was basically say that they didn't want "last ups" even know they were the home team!

You know what? This crap will continue to happen! And everybody else will point to 1,000 other red herrings...

Oh... But if this was Drew and the Pitt game... Everybody would be hanging him in effigy!

Buffalo UNDERACHIEVED this year plain and simple and all us are all to happy to accept it because of how poor they have been.

This team can contend even if they can't stop the run... As long as the coaching staff doesn't keep shooting itself in the foot.

Games can get ugly and your D can suck... But you know what? You can still win...

It was a freaking 45 yard FG or less... Rian pounds it home or they die tryin'...

To me this team just quit... Even know everybody else is saying the opposite... Go figure that one out... :D

Exactly!

People may mock me out... But, more times than not, I elect to defend off the opening kickoff... IMO, ther is more time to "make up" a possesion... Sounds screwy, but the "tempo of the game can be altered more... You can even press an extra possesion before half-time... Then get the ball right back...  Factor in the wind and it becomes more crucial to make the right decision!

877430[/snapback]

I won't mock you out, I would always elect to kick on the opening kickoff, therefore choosing which goal to defend.

Getting the ball to open the 2nd half is very important in my opinion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261224002

"The loss knocked the Bills out of playoff contention, dropping Buffalo to 7-8."

Thats what it said on ESPN so we're out officially, to answer that.

To talk about Jauron being outcoached, HE WAS 100% OUTCOACHED! The Bills had no answer all day for anything the Titans threw or ran at us (they gained 98 total last week against Jax, they had over 100 in the 1st quarter). Also, you always take the wind for the 2nd and 4th. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS! Ive played my whole life and you never not take it in such a windy environment as the Ralph. Also, in the 4th on that 3rd and 1 where we threw the ball! WHat was that??!! We didn't use willis nearly enough in the second half as we couldve. Also, on the last possession, if Jauron knew or thought he was gonna go for it, he shouldve had a better play on third down and shouldve relayed th eplay to JP on 4th much quicker!  Jauron had a very very very poor coaching job today in the biggest one of the year. Inexcusable.

877524[/snapback]

If Royal had gotten both feet in, which there was no reason for him not to, the TiTans would have had to big of a hole to crawl out of,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261224002

"The loss knocked the Bills out of playoff contention, dropping Buffalo to 7-8."

Thats what it said on ESPN so we're out officially, to answer that.

To talk about Jauron being outcoached, HE WAS 100% OUTCOACHED! The Bills had no answer all day for anything the Titans threw or ran at us (they gained 98 total last week against Jax, they had over 100 in the 1st quarter). Also, you always take the wind for the 2nd and 4th. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS! Ive played my whole life and you never not take it in such a windy environment as the Ralph. Also, in the 4th on that 3rd and 1 where we threw the ball! WHat was that??!! We didn't use willis nearly enough in the second half as we couldve. Also, on the last possession, if Jauron knew or thought he was gonna go for it, he shouldve had a better play on third down and shouldve relayed th eplay to JP on 4th much quicker!  Jauron had a very very very poor coaching job today in the biggest one of the year. Inexcusable.

877524[/snapback]

not to contradict myself, but in all fairness, saban and man-gina could have easily "outcoached" jauron as well, if they had only not forgotten to run the goddam ball. i believe we would have lost both those games had our opponents not abandoned the run. that is just another instance of coaches outthinking themselves.

Buffalo won the toss. That's why they got the ball to start the game. Think about it: have you ever seen an NFL team that won the coin toss to start the game but didn't choose to receive?

877489[/snapback]

Of course we have, this is Buffalo. Not that very many fans remember it ever happening, or the rules regarding the coin toss for that matter. :D

BTW, good to see you. Last time we saw you, you were in absolute denial that the Titans were going to have to purge their roster because of being way over the salary cap. I meant to tell you.....you were wrong. :doh:

Anyway, good luck, here's to seeing the Oilers/Titans in more meaningful games in the coming seasons. They usually end up being memorable games.

And to Los Angeles?  :D

877491[/snapback]

Be nice, if we hadn't put the greatest comeback in NFL history on your franchise, Tennessee wouldn't even have an NFL team. Houston never embraced them after that. Unfortunately, it's been bad karma for us. From the HR throwforward to Donahoe hiring Fisher's overrated assistants and now this loss. Hopefully our turn against the Oiler/Titans will come on our way to a SB win.