Out Coached... Maybe??

Something was gnawling on me at Mass this evening... 0:)

Missed the first half (thank God... Missed the whole :01 second debacle! :thumbdown::wallbash: )... Who won the coin toss? All NFL.com says is that TN kicked off...

If the Bills won the coin toss and elected to receive, then they were out coached in THEIR OWN HOUSE!

If you win the toss, you have to choose to defend the proper goal and kick off... AND TAKE THE WIND IN THE FOURTH! ... In these situations (windy)... IMHO...

Marv had to brief DJ on this Ralph Wilson Stadium fundamental!????

Also: :doh::devil:

What are the Bills' chance at 8-8?... Somebody posted the VERY SLIM chance last week... Is that chance still a live?... Just curious????? :doh: ... And no I AM not joking! :bag:

????

Something was gnawling on me at Mass this evening... :doh:

Missed the first half (thank God... Missed the whole :01 second debacle! :thumbdown:  :wallbash: )... Who won the coin toss?  All NFL.com says is that TN kicked off...

If the Bills won the coin toss and elected to receive, then they were out coached in THEIR OWN HOUSE!

If you win the toss, you have to choose to defend the proper goal and kick off... AND TAKE THE WIND IN THE FOURTH!  ... In these situations (windy)... IMHO...

877301[/snapback]

I don't think you get that choice if you win the toss. I think your only choice is kick or receive.

And Jeff Fisher is one of the three best coaches in the game. Lets not forget that.

In Buffalo you must either take the wind in the 2nd or 4th Qtrs...both if you can. Those Qtrs are much longer..with more plays and possessions due to timesouts and stuff. WIND 101. If i'm not mistaken, Buffalo was with the wind in the 1st and 3rd qtrs. That is retarded.

In Buffalo you must either take the wind in the 2nd or 4th Qtrs...both if you can.  Those Qtrs are much longer..with more plays and possessions due to timesouts and stuff.  WIND 101.  If i'm not mistaken, Buffalo was with the wind in the 1st and 3rd qtrs.  That is retarded.

877411[/snapback]

Exactly!

And Tortured Soul...If you choose to kick... Don't you get to choose the goal to defend??? Anyone know this for sure?

It would clear up a lot.

Football, IMO is a "possesion game"... No different than having your "ups" in baseball... Except you can score on defense...

People may mock me out... But, more times than not, I elect to defend off the opening kickoff... IMO, ther is more time to "make up" a possesion... Sounds screwy, but the "tempo of the game can be altered more... You can even press an extra possesion before half-time... Then get the ball right back... Factor in the wind and it becomes more crucial to make the right decision!

Just my layman's $.02!

:thumbdown:

What are the Bills' chance at 8-8?... Somebody posted the VERY SLIM chance last week... Is that chance still a live?... Just curious????? :thumbdown: ... And no I AM not joking! :wallbash:

????

877301[/snapback]

They are officially eliminated, as is Pittsburgh, at 7-8.

Something was gnawling on me at Mass this evening... :doh:

Missed the first half (thank God... Missed the whole :01 second debacle! :thumbdown:  :wallbash: )... Who won the coin toss?  All NFL.com says is that TN kicked off...

If you win the toss, you have to choose to defend the proper goal and kick off... AND TAKE THE WIND IN THE FOURTH!  ... In these situations (windy)... IMHO...

877301[/snapback]

This isn't college football. When you win the coin toss you ALWAYS elect to receive. You don't get to defer on the kickoff until the 2nd half like in college. The team that loses the coin toss gets to choose the sides in the 1st half and then the option whether to kick or receive in the 2nd half. So if you win the coin toss, you take the ball...

This isn't college football. When you win the coin toss you ALWAYS elect to receive. You don't get to defer on the kickoff until the 2nd half like in college. The team that loses the coin toss gets to choose the sides in the 1st half and then the option whether to kick or receive in the 2nd half. So if you win the coin toss, you take the ball...

877441[/snapback]

You sure?... The way you explain it... What is the advantage to winning the coin toss?

Can anybody put what is in the rules in simple terms for my dumb arse? :thumbdown:

Also... I never found out who won the toss in the game?? It doesn't say at NFL.com or does it?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

I'm not sure how they decide who takes what side in the 2nd half, I only know about who gets the ball. Maybe you just take the wind knowing the other team gets the ball to start. Or maybe it's just based entirely off the first half decision. Can't be sure...

But I am positive about not being able to defer on the kickoff. You either choose to receive it or you kick off to start both halves.

I'm not sure how they decide who takes what side in the 2nd half, I only know about who gets the ball. Maybe you just take the wind knowing the other team gets the ball to start. Or maybe it's just based entirely off the first half decision. Can't be sure...

But I am positive about not being able to defer on the kickoff. You either choose to receive it or you kick off to start both halves.

877472[/snapback]

Okay... There has to be an advantage to winning the toss... An advantage that gives you the choice of wind in the 4th or receiving when you want? Right? That is the whole point of calling the toss???

In this game BFLO received in the 1st half and TN received in the 2nd half:...

First Quarter

Tennessee Titans at 15:00

R.Bironas kicks 68 yards from TEN 30 to BUF 2. T.McGee to TEN 46 for 52 yards (C.Cramer).

Third Quarter

Buffalo Bills at 15:00

R.Lindell kicks 68 yards from BUF 30 to TEN 2. A.Jones to TEN 10 for 8 yards (K.Thomas; S.Aiken).

But somebody had to win the toss in this game? I wish I could find out... Because if Buffalo won it, they did something fatally wrong for the conditions at the Ralph... If TN won it... Fisher out coached DJ.

And I am not trying to obsess about this... Just trying to come to a conclusion how effectively DJ can coach in these what seems to be simple choices!

Back in the day, it always seemed Marv made the right call/choice?

They are officially eliminated, as is Pittsburgh, at 7-8.

877433[/snapback]

Boy if BFLO had just won... They would be holding the cards with a Jets' loss!!!

Believe it or not... BFLO is not mathematically eliminated yet, Ther is ONE long shot probability out there:

This from NFL.com:

Note the large, red, and bold type at the end... I am assuming this was updated today AFTER the games?...

Updated Dec. 24

AFC EAST DIVISION

New England has clinched division title.

AFC NORTH DIVISION

Baltimore has clinched division title.

AFC SOUTH DIVISION

Indianapolis has clinched division title.

AFC WEST DIVISION

San Diego has clinched division title and first-round bye.

NFC EAST DIVISION

Dallas has clinched playoff berth.

Dallas can clinch division with:

1) DAL win.

Philadelphia can clinch playoff berth with:

1) PHI win, OR

2) PHI tie.

NFC NORTH DIVISION

Chicago has clinched homefield advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

NFC SOUTH DIVISION

New Orleans has clinched division title.

New Orleans can clinch first-round bye with:

1) DAL loss.

NFC WEST DIVISION

Seattle has clinched division title.

Arizona, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Minnesota, Oakland, Tampa Bay and Washington have been eliminated from playoff contention.

Buffalo won the toss, they took the ball.

You always take the ball.

heres the official rules:

Coin Toss

1. The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field. The toss will be called by the visiting captain before the coin is flipped. The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:

(a) Receive or kick

(b) Goal his team will defend

2. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices. The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice.

877492[/snapback]

IMO... That is just plain foolish...

Wow...Just as I suspected... No you don't take the ball in this case... I am, not clear on the rules... But, if you can... You take the wind in the 4th (under these conditons) @ the Ralph!

Total mistake!

Bobby April had the FG unit going out, then called them back... Going the other way... RL would have had a great chance at the 45 yarder with a 20+ MPH wind at his back!

Here is BFLO's wild 8-8 playoff "in"... :wallbash::doh:

-Jets loses two to MIA/OAK

-CIN loses to PITT

-MIA loses to INDY (not sure if this game is relevant, Bills tie-break MIA)

-KC v. JAX... NOT SURE HERE?

-TENN loses to NE

-DEN loses to SF... Not sure if this is a relevant game also?

I am sure BFLO holds a tie-breaker with the other #6 seed wannabes... Denver backs in at #5 (9-7 or 10-6)

If this scenario plays out... I know BFLO holds the tie-breaker for #6... PITT is in the same boat as BFLO except that they need BALT to beat the good guys from WNY...

heres the official rules:

877492[/snapback]

I see your point... I think it is stupid... Given the situation (wind) I sure hope BFLO LOSES the coin toss every time...

It makes no sense and gives the coin toss winner no tangible benefit in the crucial 4th quarter...

Agian stupid rule, IMO.

Sorry... Dick Jauron for calling you out... :thumbdown:

IMO... That is just plain foolish...

Wow...Just as I suspected... No you don't take the ball in this case... I am, not clear on the rules... But, if you can... You take the wind in the 4th (under these conditons) @ the Ralph!

Total mistake!

Bobby April had the FG unit going out, then called them back... Going the other way... RL would have had a great chance at the 45 yarder with a 20+ MPH wind at his back!

Here is BFLO's wild 8-8 playoff "in"... :wallbash:  :doh:

-Jets loses two to MIA/OAK

-CIN loses to PITT

-MIA loses to INDY (not sure if this game is relevant, Bills tie-break MIA)

-KC v. JAX... NOT SURE HERE?

-TENN loses to NE

-DEN loses to SF... Not sure if this is a relevant game also?

I am sure BFLO holds a tie-breaker with the other #6 seed wannbes...  Denver backs in at #5 (9-7 or 10-6)

If this scenario plays out... I know BFLO holds the tie-breaker for #6...  PITT is in the same boat as BFLO except that they need BALT to beat the good guys from WNY...

877503[/snapback]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261224002

"The loss knocked the Bills out of playoff contention, dropping Buffalo to 7-8."

Thats what it said on ESPN so we're out officially, to answer that.

To talk about Jauron being outcoached, HE WAS 100% OUTCOACHED! The Bills had no answer all day for anything the Titans threw or ran at us (they gained 98 total last week against Jax, they had over 100 in the 1st quarter). Also, you always take the wind for the 2nd and 4th. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS! Ive played my whole life and you never not take it in such a windy environment as the Ralph. Also, in the 4th on that 3rd and 1 where we threw the ball! WHat was that??!! We didn't use willis nearly enough in the second half as we couldve. Also, on the last possession, if Jauron knew or thought he was gonna go for it, he shouldve had a better play on third down and shouldve relayed th eplay to JP on 4th much quicker! Jauron had a very very very poor coaching job today in the biggest one of the year. Inexcusable.