Robert Royal....

Frez

But you are a long time poster so I should have respect.   :thumbdown:

877041[/snapback]

Feel however you want about long time posters, but long time Bill's fans get no more respect in this forum than trolls.

I need to know no more about Frez than he's been a Bill's fan all his life to respect him. There is a big value in it.

As to the Royal end zone dance- I'm guessing that after 4 costly drops in the first half of the season, a team without a TE postions coach asks their WR coach to get in his head. And the simple thing for Tyke Tolbert to do then was to improve RRoyal's receiving skills by instrucing him to:

Forget your feet completely, get the ball in your hands and pull it in to your body.

If in fact that's been the strategy adopted by the coaching staff, it's been pretty effective. Royal has had a 5 or 6 game stretch of very effective ball as a receiver. He's in fact looked like a different receiver over the last 5 or 6 games. That change may have had a big price that we paid today, but overall that change has been a plus for the team. I'm personally reluctant to complain about something if it seems to be an overall plus. Just speculation- I could be wrong. No need to respect my guesses but I'm happy to consider yours.

Any positive news from Kevin Everett this year?  I had high hopes for that kid.  We could use an upgrade at TE

877077[/snapback]

The positive news (for the other TEs on the roster) is he's now 4th string TE. Matt Murphy was on the field as the 3rd string TE, I don't recall Everett playing today. Even if he did, Murphy definitely got more playing time.

Everett & Reyes are so gone by next year.

As much as that Royal play bothered me at the time I don't think it would have changed the outcome.  Is there any doubt that on 4th and 1 with 2 minutes left the Titans would have picked up the first down and likely scored the go ahead TD (as opposed to kicking the go ahead FG)?

The blame for this loss goes squarely to the D.  When is the last time this unit made a stand late in the 4th quarter?

877084[/snapback]

Last week. But the smaller , lighter , faster DT'S MUST GO.

Any positive news from Kevin Everett this year?  I had high hopes for that kid.  We could use an upgrade at TE

877077[/snapback]

I think he's as good as gone in the offseason, Cieslak is more versatile, Royal has been decent and Neufeld even had a TD this year.

Everett is a major bust.

And the blocking from behind didn't help either. lol

But, i agree. We let alot of good plays go. Evans had 2 very close chances for TD's, TD's that the average WR wouldn't make, but a top 10 reciever in the world, the best player on a team who is in a must win game, MUST make. Sorry i know Evans is popular so noone will agree, but imo both should have been cought, and if not both, definetly one of them for sure. That would also change the game in our favor.

877370[/snapback]

Which plays are you talking about?

I don't seem to remember Evans having many catchable balls beind dropped or missed today.

As much as that Royal play bothered me at the time I don't think it would have changed the outcome.  Is there any doubt that on 4th and 1 with 2 minutes left the Titans would have picked up the first down and likely scored the go ahead TD (as opposed to kicking the go ahead FG)?

The blame for this loss goes squarely to the D.  When is the last time this unit made a stand late in the 4th quarter?

877084[/snapback]

Look, we've watched this team for 15 games now, if they have a 12-14 point lead in the fourth quarter, the Titans are in a position where they need two TD's and that almost certainly means they are throwing the football around, which plays to the strength of this defense. Instead, they were able to keep it on the ground and keep it out of Bills defenders hands. Credit the Titans coaching staff for understanding that the Bills run defense is horrid, but of all the mistakes that stand out, the amateur effort by Royal was truly inexcusable from a professional pass catcher and changed the course of how the rest of that game was played.

Did the defense cost the team the game? Of course, but we knew coming into this game that the Bills run defense was PATHETIC, and that the Titans are the most ground oriented team we would play all season. It was imperative that the offense and ST's win this game, and they missed a number of opportunities, Royal's being BY FAR the most blatant. Blame our sorry, weak defense all you want, but this could have easily been a blowout win for the Bills had they punched in half of those drives that ended in FG's.

Look, we've watched this team for 15 games now, if they have a 12-14 point lead in the fourth quarter, the Titans are in a position where they need two TD's and that almost certainly means they are throwing the football around, which plays to the strength of this defense.  Instead, they were able to keep it on the ground and keep it out of Bills defenders hands.  Credit the Titans coaching staff for understanding that the Bills run defense is horrid, but of all the mistakes that stand out, the amateur effort by Royal was truly inexcusable from a professional pass catcher and changed the course of how the rest of that game was played. 

Did the defense cost the team the game?  Of course, but we knew coming into this game that the Bills run defense was PATHETIC, and that the Titans are the most ground oriented team we would play all season.  It was imperative that the offense and ST's win this game, and they missed a number of opportunities, Royal's being BY FAR  the most blatant.  Blame our sorry, weak defense all you want, but this could have easily been a blowout win for the Bills had they punched in half of those drives that ended in FG's.

877678[/snapback]

Well said. If the Bills take a 33-20 lead, they win because they would have gotten the sacks and turnovers to seal it. Royal's mistake stands out to me as the biggest and dumbest play of the season unless the Jets and Broncos finish 10-6 and make it irrelevant.

There are plenty of medicore-to-pretty-good teams that would've blown out the Titans yesterday at home. New Orleans comes to mind. Dallas. Denver. Jacksonville. Tennessee themselves. Pittsburgh. Cincinnati. These are all teams that can run the ball consistently or would've found a way to finish those drives with TDs somehow. Yes, the defense needs to be upgraded but it was the offense/Royal that lost this game. Matchups dictate responsibility. The Bills defense had a poor matchup. The Bills offense had a good matchup but kicked field goals.

877084[/snapback]

How about last week against Miami on the last play of the game on the untimed fourth down goal line stand?