17 year old sentenced to 10 years in prison for...

Tux of Borg

...having oral sex with his 15 year old girlfriend.

Ga. Supreme Court rejects teen’s appeal in sex case

12/16/2006

ATLANTA (AP) — The Georgia Supreme Court has turned down an appeal from a teen who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for having sex with a 15-year-old.

In a ruling released Friday, the court denied a motion for reconsideration filed by lawyers for Genarlow Wilson, who was 17 when he and the 15-year-old engaged in consensual oral sex. He was sentenced for aggravated child molestation.

Wilson’s case was one of two cases that were cited earlier this year when lawmakers passed a law that otherwise strengthened penalties for sex offenders, but reduced the penalty from a felony to a misdemeanor for some teenagers convicted of sodomy.

Presiding Justice Carol Hunstein noted that in easing the penalties for teens, ‘‘the Legislature expressly chose not to allow the provisions of the new amendments to affect persons convicted under the previous version of the statute.’’

Hunstein added she was ‘‘very sympathetic to Wilson’s argument regarding the injustice of sentencing this promising young man with good grades and no criminal history to 10 years in prison without parole and a lifetime registration as a sexual offender because he engaged in consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old victim only two years his junior,’’ but said the court was bound the by limits set by the Legislature.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, Georgia allows my ex-wife to marry some jackass 20 years her senior when she is only SIXTEEN (to get away from her parents), which pretty much turns her into a ticking time bomb that went off when my ass was married to her. :lol: Call me crazy, but that was a helluva lot worse than a 17y.o. muff diving on a 15 y.o.

Then you have my brother's ex-wife who makes a pact with this loser who worked with her at Target to leave their respective spouses and hook up. (My brother makes a good solid income, provided her with a great house, didn't need her to work if she didnt' want to, etc, etc...) So she cheats on my brother with this fugtard and ruins their marriage, gets pregnant with the fugtard's kid, and then is abandoned by HIM. So here we have a cheating, family destroying woman who is now about to have another guy's kid while she's still married to my brother, while at the same time being the mother of my niece who was only 3 at the time. What does Georgia law say? "Sorry, unless the mother is doing drugs or abusing her kid, she gets custody."

I know there are similar laws in other states, but Georgia sucks.

...having oral sex with his 15 year old girlfriend.

Ga. Supreme Court rejects teen’s appeal in sex case

12/16/2006

ATLANTA (AP) — The Georgia Supreme Court has turned down an appeal from a teen who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for having sex with a 15-year-old.

In a ruling released Friday, the court denied a motion for reconsideration filed by lawyers for Genarlow Wilson, who was 17 when he and the 15-year-old engaged in consensual oral sex. He was sentenced for aggravated child molestation.

Wilson’s case was one of two cases that were cited earlier this year when lawmakers passed a law that otherwise strengthened penalties for sex offenders, but reduced the penalty from a felony to a misdemeanor for some teenagers convicted of sodomy.

Presiding Justice Carol Hunstein noted that in easing the penalties for teens, ‘‘the Legislature expressly chose not to allow the provisions of the new amendments to affect persons convicted under the previous version of the statute.’’

Hunstein added she was ‘‘very sympathetic to Wilson’s argument regarding the injustice of sentencing this promising young man with good grades and no criminal history to 10 years in prison without parole and a lifetime registration as a sexual offender because he engaged in consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old victim only two years his junior,’’ but said the court was bound the by limits set by the Legislature.

874709[/snapback]

That is seriously SERIOUSLY screwed up. There's got to be some recourse for this guy? Something? It's crap like this... this type of stuff is exactly why no matter how long I live here, I'll *always* consider myself a New Yorker.

-Jeff

‘‘the Legislature expressly chose not to allow the provisions of the new amendments to affect persons convicted under the previous version of the statute.’’

Why the hell not?!

I guess they were pretty fond of the idea of ruining people's lives due to a bullshyte technicality. Nice work once again you weasely little snivelling politician pricks!

:w00t:

Sadly, the people who make and enforce these laws are so far out of touch with reality that this kind of disgrace is not surprising. At 17 years old, a 10 year sentence will ruin his life. And as outlandish as this might sound, I'm sure that both he and his poor victim girlfriend would have turned out just fine despite their heinous crime.

I don't have a link, but I heard the boy is black and the girl is white.

Not everyone down there is, but this smacks of racist overtones. And the people who prosecuted this are :w00t: .

Makes me madder than hell. Nothing makes me more upset than racism. This is almost 2007, you :P idiots.

Edit: I found the linky. An ABC News story can be found here.

I sure as hell don't want to live in Georgia. Until 1998, oral sex between a husband and wife was punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

It may be the Bible Belt, and I may be a Christian, but the people who wrote this law are sick sorry SOBs.

Edited by buckeyemike

Who said he was Black?

875243[/snapback]

He is. So is she.

Background: Why is Genarlow Wilson in prison?

And here's the REALLY interesting part:

The jury filed into the back room where they had deliberated for about five hours earlier that day. It was not until then, says Manigault (the forewoman), that attorney Michael Mann told them that their verdict meant a mandatory 10-year sentence for Genarlow. The room exploded. “People were screaming, crying, beating against the walls,” she recalls. “I just went limp. They had to help me to a chair.”

I was wrong then, I thought the girl was white.

It doesn't change my opinion, however.  Read my edit.  This kid got a friggin raw deal.

875251[/snapback]

There's a mention of "the two black females" about halfway through the story I linked, where the prosecutor is trying to defend his actions.

And I absolutely agree. While the jury might have been following the letter of the law - i.e., there can BE no consensual sex with someone under 16 - the law itself is BS if you're talking about two high-school kids. Holy crap - when I was fifteen, three of my classmates had already had children.