Another Article About John Butler...

Spun

Butler along with A.J. Smith did a tremendous job with S.D.

Talent wise they are the best team in the league. It's up to Marty to win out from here.

A.J. Smith is probably the best talent man in the league and he takes the biggest risk. For example, If you look at their wideouts some of their backups are better than a lot of other team's starters.

Another shocking thing about that draft was the players taken in front of L.T.

A 400 lb offensive linemen who has a bad back (Leonard Davis) who is a total bust.

An injury prone DT G. Warren who was traded to Denver from Cleveland.

Talent wise they are the best team in the league. It's up to Marty to win out from here.

A.J. Smith is probably the best talent man in the league and he takes the biggest risk. For example, If you look at their wideouts some of their backups are better than a lot of other team's starters.

A 400 lb offensive linemen who has a bad back (Leonard Davis) who is a total bust.

867091[/snapback]

Yet some still insist its a good idea for the bills to tank the rest of the season to "improve our draft pick" amazing

867091[/snapback]

Let us not have revisionist history here. The Chargers needed a starting RB and LT fell in their laps due to necessity for Arizona and Atlanta and stupidity in Cleveland.

If you get to pick #1 in 2 drafts in 3 years, how is that they built a great team.

And again as I posted earlier, the chargers were so lucky in both of those drafts to be able to trade down a few notches below and get addiitonal draft picks and still get the player they wanted.

I will any day take Bill Cowher in talent evaluation over most of the personnel men in the NFL.

Let us not have revisionist history here.  The Chargers needed a starting RB and LT fell in their laps due to necessity for Arizona and Atlanta and stupidity in Cleveland.

If you get to pick #1 in 2 drafts in 3 years, how is that they built a great team.

And again as I posted earlier, the chargers were so lucky in both of those drafts to be able to trade down a few notches below and get addiitonal draft picks and still get the player they wanted.

I will any day take Bill Cowher in talent evaluation over most of the personnel men in the NFL.

867331[/snapback]

yeah right, give them no credit. :oops:

i think you have a point there.    although AJ Smith has a helluva track record too, if you look back.

867487[/snapback]

I am not saying AJ Smith is a bad talent evaluator. But look at the circumstance under which they are drafting....Bob refuses to look at what was handed to them. Again I am not saying it is their fault for being given such a freebie.

Cowher and his personnel have unearthed talented players from the lower rounds. The chargers on the other hand, thanks to the draft day trades have drafted excellent players from the first few rounds, but their later rounds are still average like most other NFL teams.

I am not saying AJ Smith is  a bad talent evaluator.  But look at the circumstance under which they are drafting....Bob refuses to look at what was handed to them. Again I am not saying it is their fault for being given such a freebie.

Cowher and his personnel have unearthed talented players from the lower rounds.  The chargers on the other hand, thanks to the draft day trades have drafted excellent players from the first few rounds, but their later rounds are still average like most other NFL teams.

867630[/snapback]

I do look at what was "handed" to them ... three teams passed on LT and they had him targeted on their guy. I cannot punish them for knowing that LT could be the best player in the league someday and then postioing themselves to take him. This move was unpopular because everyone was in love with Vick, but they made the absolute right move.

The Eli Manning move was another great one and they cashed in big. Nothing is handed to anybody in the draft. That is why you are praising Pittsburgh, they have found excellent players in the lower rounds.

I got mixed emotions about this whole san diego thing. Not to stomp on the man's grave, but I dont like Butler & I certainly dont like the way A J Smith does business. The way those 2 sold out the bills was disgusting. & please spare me the rhetoric that the bills werent going to pay butler. On 4 or 5 occasions wilson asked John to sit down & lets talk about a contract. Butler always refused. Instead of acting like a man & being honest with wilson, telling him that he is going to go to sd or has other plans, he kept making every excuse in the book why he didnt want to talk about a contract. Looking back at their last draft for the bills, it is no dount in my mind they knew a year ahead of time after the 2000 season they were bolting to san diego.

I totally agree that they really did luck out with some of their picks. Sometimes, teams dread having the number 1 pick but if a special player is on board, teams could parlay that pick into a windfall. That is what happened to the charger not once but twice. The 1st time that special player was vick, the 2nd time that special player was manning. Even picking up gates was by luck. 20 teams had appointments to see gates, the chargers just happend to be the first ones. They offered him a contract after 20 minutes of workouts.

That is why I really hope the chargers fall flat on their face in the playoffs probably more then every team besides NE. I really cant stand the arrogance of AJ Smith & I really dont appreciate as a die hard bills fan the way butler left this franchise. BTW, after his one super bowl year with the bills(93 which was Polians team) the bills won 1 playoff game in the last 7 years butler was the gm. Think about that next time you think about enshrining this guy for the hall of fame.

I do look at what was "handed" to them ... three teams passed on LT and they had him targeted on their guy.  I cannot punish them for knowing that LT could be the best player in the league someday and then postioing themselves to take him.  This move was unpopular because everyone was in love with Vick, but they made the absolute right move.

The Eli Manning move was another great one and they cashed in big.  Nothing is handed to anybody in the draft.  That is why you are praising Pittsburgh, they have found excellent players in the lower rounds.

867652[/snapback]

Do you think that if they had targeted at LT before the draft, they would have traded away that #1 pick and hoped that he would be available 3 spots later ?

The Eli Manning move could have backfired easily, if the Giants chose to go with Rivers rather than Manning. Remember Rivers was the most polished QB coming out of that class and he is proving that. That was a pretty big gamble and I certainly have to assume they knew some inside information that the Giants wanted Manning no matter what.

The steelers did not get early picks in each round unlike the Chargers. The earliest pick they got to make was getting Ben at #11. But they have made excellent players in later rounds like Hines Ward, Max Starks, Aaron Smith, Marvel Smith etc and some late round gems in Larry Foote, Willie Parker ( Un-drafted) etc.